The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Big problem with Zoom A3

I see a few design flaws with this pedal. The biggest one, is that it doesn't have separate EQ for the Mic and Piezo/Mag channels. Also, the EQ that it does have is a simple 3-band eq.
We need mid sweepable mid EQs on both input chains Zoom!!

This could have been a stellar choice for dual source systems (K&K with internal Mic for example) but alas...

Furthermore, It's chip or design is also underpowered, why only 2 effects after the modelling section?

Someone posted that the air function is really nice, and I agree, I would like to have that on always, but that then only leaves place for one effect. Also we'd want a bit of reverb on always!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
I see a few design flaws with this pedal. The biggest one, is that it doesn't have separate EQ for the Mic and Piezo/Mag channels. Also, the EQ that it does have is a simple 3-band eq.

This could have been a stellar choice for dual source systems (K&K with internal Mic for example) but alas...

Furthermore, It's chip or design is also underpowered, why only 2 effects after the modelling section?

Someone posted that the air function is really nice, and I agree, I would like to have that on always, but that then only leaves place for one effect. Also we'd want a bit of reverb on always!
Well, to have two physical parametric eqs would be nice indeed, but I think it's really asking way too much from a unit that costs 199 dollars and works as a double input di, quality multi effect, modeler, eq, boost, etc etc ... isn't it? A good parametric eq like the Empress costs just as much!

Also, it is true that having only 2 effects is not a lot. However, for acoustic guitarist is often enough (but I'd like to have more too ...). About this, I expect that Zoom will release a firmware update to increase the number of effects that can be used at the same time, like they did for the G3 (I think with the G3 they went from 3 to 6 ... I hope they do the same for the A3). Keep an eye on their website!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 AM

Good points JoMas,

The thing that I didn't mention, that makes this a bigger problem then it would have been, is that it doesn't seem geared toward easy patch saving and switching.

From anecdotal evidence (and the horribly inadequate manual) it seems you have to go into some patch bay/setting and there you can switch patches, but some people report you can only save one effect. And it doesn't look like you can even save the single global EQ and even Modelling settings between patches...

Quite a lot worse than the A1 and A2 predecessors of this pedal.

If one could easily save and switch between all the parameters, you could save different patches for different applications and sounds and be able to switch back and forth easily, but alas...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 AM

The limitations that have been mentioned are some of the reasons that I held off from purchasing the A3. I seen it mentioned in other threads that it appears that the A3 was Zoom's response to the Fishman Aura. Don't know if that is true or not, but it does appear to some what of a response, IMO. I have both the A2 and the G3. The more that I play around with both units, I prefer the effects of the G3 over the A2. So for the time being I'm using the A2 for the modeling only and then using the G3 for everything else. I'm still experimenting with it all. I will probably get the A3 latter this year and probably still use this setup with the A3 providing EQ and compression with the G3 for delay, chorus, etc.

As for the A2 I like the way that I can build the patches and then move between them. I typically build a patch order of A5 as the base, A6 with delay/compressor boost, A7 with delay/no boost, A4 chorus/boost, A3 chorus/no boost. With my looper I can lay down a groove and then quickly switch patches up or down and continue on.

My prediction, which is about as correct as the ground hog is about the weather, is that Zoom will do a firmware upgrade to the A3 at some point that will add effects and either be able to reassign the foot switches for patch changing or release another unit with an additional foot switch to make patch switching easier. As was mentioned, the G3 only allowed 3 effects when it was first released and it now allows 6.

For what the device is currently for $199 is amazing. The A2 for $99 is still a good buy. But from reading through the manual and trying to think through the unit it appears that it really is designed for almost a set it and forget it type of usage. In all the documentation that I've seen from Zoom about patches it appears that they planned it out for the user to just cycle through a couple of patches (rhythm, finger style, and lead) and that's it.

When I saw the initial pictures and read the manual when it was released over seas I was disappointed cause I really wanted the A3 to be an acoustic version of the G3. And I think that is where some disappointment and confusion of users are with this product. Unlike the G3 that was an obvious progression from the G1 and G2, the A3 doesn't appear to follow the same pattern from the A1 and A2. It seems to almost create a new product line.

My apology for the rambling. Was up late working and only had one cup of coffee so far. So my thoughts are flying in several different directions.

Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Good points JoMas,

The thing that I didn't mention, that makes this a bigger problem then it would have been, is that it doesn't seem geared toward easy patch saving and switching.

From anecdotal evidence (and the horribly inadequate manual) it seems you have to go into some patch bay/setting and there you can switch patches, but some people report you can only save one effect. And it doesn't look like you can even save the single global EQ and even Modelling settings between patches...

Quite a lot worse than the A1 and A2 predecessors of this pedal.

If one could easily save and switch between all the parameters, you could save different patches for different applications and sounds and be able to switch back and forth easily, but alas...
Well, if you go into the memory "area" (where you see the list of your saved patches, provided you created some) and press the central switch (the one you press with you foot) then the A3 will recall your patches one after another. And all the settings for each patch are recalled, of course, not just one effect, all 3 of them. The only real problem is that with the switch you can only go forward, not back and forth, to select the patches. So, for example, if you are playing patch number 1 and you wanna switch to patch number 20, then you have to press the switch 19 times .... this is quite inconvenient. However, it is also possible to exclude some patches from the playing order, or you can rearrange easily the playing order itself. So, for example, you can switch from patch number 1 to number 9 to number 14 with just one step, BUT you have to set this in advance (you just assign letter A, B and C to the patches ... the switch will follow the ABC order, not the patches's number). This does provide some flexibility. Overall, I don't think it's too bad, provided you plan in advance your "playing order" and you don't use a lot of patches. It's not ideal, that's for sure.

With an eternal switch pedal things might be better, I dont know.

I think this pedal is excellent for an acoustic player who doesn't need to experiment too much with the sounds. If all you need a touch of reverb or delay, sometimes a touch of modulation, and a little eq (plus the modeling, which is very subtle but definitely useful), then the A3 is absolutely fantastic.

But, if you need more experimenting, more variations etc. (in other words, if your sound management is more similar to that of an electric guitaris), then A3 is definitely not for you.

I am pretty happy with it because my tone is always very natural, so I dont need many variations, I dont need to switch in the middle of a song, I dont need many patches etc. I need a just few things with high quality, so the A3 is perfect for that.
However, I do hope for a firmware upgrade. I dont think I will ever need 6 effect slots like the G3, but even just one more (4) might be useful, sometimes.

One last thing: in my opinion, the A3 is NOT Zoom's response to Aura. These are two completely different tools, made for different goals. In fact, I use them both at the same time, and they go very well together, imho. The A3 modeling feature cannot replace Aura's (it is much, much, much, much more subtle than Aura's) and Aura has no effects, so ....
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMas View Post

With an eternal switch pedal things might be better, I dont know.
I would love to see the Ashbass mods get a hold of the A3....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMas View Post
One last thing: in my opinion, the A3 is NOT Zoom's response to Aura. These are two completely different tools, made for different goals. In fact, I use them both at the same time, and they go very well together, imho. The A3 modeling feature cannot replace Aura's (it is much, much, much, much more subtle than Aura's) and Aura has no effects, so ....
Excellent point. While I do admit that I've not played through both pedals, from all the reading and examples that I've heard they do seem to be pedals that are different. So if my comment in my previous post seemed to imply that I was saying that then I apology for any confusion on the subject.

Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks 8TrackJoe and JoMas, the info is much appreciated.
I wish Zoom would make some of those things clear in their manual.

And yeah, let's hope they firmware update this thing, into something more useful
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM

I've been using the Zoom A3 live for 6 months now and I don't know if I'd say that there is a BIG problem with it. I do agree with some of the noted design flaws though. I hope that Zoom is looking at the A3 as their mid range pedal, and that they allow for 5-6 fx at once, sweepable eq and more fx routing options as noted....

Currently, the BBE Sonic Maximizer sim and Aphex Punch Factory sim are worth the price of admission.... On top of that, the piezo switch ( aka. quack reducer), and dedicated footswitches (feedback, tuner/mute/ and boost) make it the most useful acoustic pedal I have ever used. I don't think I can go without a volume boost footswitch now! My biggest concerns with the A3 are:

1. build quality of the XLR DI output. I've stopped using it because it crackles if anything slightly pushes against the xlr cable end ( ie. a mic stand gets moved in the middle of an show and pushes against it a bit.... etc.)

2. The amount of batteries needed. I left my adapter at home once.....the darn thing takes too many batteries when you are in a pinch!

3. The dry/wet blend is a waste of a pot. It makes sense on the Fishman Aura but the FX on the A3 are flexible and subtle enough, that there is no real need in to add raw pickup sound back (in my opinion). The blend knob should be used for........see #4

4. There is no way to blend the mic/pickup as needed unless you use adjust their gain settings. The Wet/Dry blend should be replaced with a Mic/Pickup blend.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 PM

I agree jlipoth!

I also still have mine, but still wishing it was more versatile.

Especially when using my guitars with a LR Baggs Lyric only... I lose one spot to the modelling (which permanently takes the first FX slot). That is the worst design flaw imho!

Although, you probably can't blame them for not seeing that a feedback resistant single source internal microphone pickup would become available so quickly and be used so widely.

All hail LR Baggs. The Lyric..my favourite piece of kit in a long time!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM

PS: I do have to mention a solution to all this that I use... It's annoying and expensive but works:

Get a G3 and run it after the A3 for more effects/patches.

The A3 and G3 together make for a very powerful, great sounding acoustic rig. It's still fairly cheap in relation to something like the TC electronics G Major, etc.

The only effect I miss from the G3 is the excellent BBE sonic maximer model, so I usually run a EQ and the Maximizer on the A3 and compression, delay, reverb or whatever else on the G3. You then kind of use your A3 as the pre-amp/feedback supressor/EQ and the G3 as your multi-FX

The G3's signal chain is exactly the same so clean acoustic signals aren't affected by the fact that the G3 is geared towards electric players.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:52 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I recently picked up an A3 and it is about 85% of what I need for my acoustic guitar needs. But I seem to be having a problem with he first of the three knobs after it was working fine. The push function works but the rotation isn't working. In the display it shows me the first of the three pages but I can't go from the first page (effect) to the other two. I tried to do a global reset and it wouldn't work.

Any clues?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablomago View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I recently picked up an A3 and it is about 85% of what I need for my acoustic guitar needs. But I seem to be having a problem with he first of the three knobs after it was working fine. The push function works but the rotation isn't working. In the display it shows me the first of the three pages but I can't go from the first page (effect) to the other two. I tried to do a global reset and it wouldn't work.

Any clues?
OK. Rookie mistake. I was pressing the footswitch, not the LED/Switch. I forgot that the LED was also a switch. All is right with the world now.

To deal with the lack of effects, I use reverb from the mixing board and use whatever other effects I need from effects 2 and 3. Mostly I use a little compression and the modulated delay effect. I'm really surprised that Zoom discontinued these and replaced it with a pedal that does less.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablomago View Post
OK. Rookie mistake. I was pressing the footswitch, not the LED/Switch. I forgot that the LED was also a switch. All is right with the world now.

To deal with the lack of effects, I use reverb from the mixing board and use whatever other effects I need from effects 2 and 3. Mostly I use a little compression and the modulated delay effect. I'm really surprised that Zoom discontinued these and replaced it with a pedal that does less.
Their thought process was - most people complained about the complicated menu and multiple screens to make adjustments, so let’s simplify it. The new version puts 90% of what most people use, easily accessible and directly on the face. Not sure if they accomplished their goal. I still use my A3.

I actually found it works great as a vocal eq running my mic through the unit and using the para eq for adjustments with one bank left to add compression or an effect, like delay or reverb. This made a great battery only option to use with my Bose S1 Pro. Once I made my presets, I still had a last minute eq adjustment on the face.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:

The mic systems which I used with the A3 (Lyric and MiniFlex 2Mic) have 1/4" connectors, so I was able to insert a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer (when needed) into the mic signal chain. On some occasions, I'd use both the digital graphic EQ and the digital parametric EQ in series in the pickup signal chain. I wasn't too thrilled with the modeling, but it did help with certain guitars which I've run sound for.

Alas, my A3 died after several years of heavy use.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:54 PM

I'm not looking forward to the day my A3 bites the dust. Trying to replace it will be a pain and I'm sure I'll have to go through a few pedal$ before I find one that is as versatile in such a compact size.

It's too bad that it's out of production, IMO it would have been much better if it had stayed in production with new model years having updated capabilities that addressed the shortcomings.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification