The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM

You need a Goodall.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 PM

All is good when you have a Goodall. My 1990 Rosewood Standard is amazing. I recently played a friend's Olson SJ. Although these are different sizes, the Goodall gives nothing away to the Olson. Used Goodalls in the $3 to 4 K price range are just astounding values relative to whatever else is out there.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
You are in an enviable position, my friend! A Goodall may not be necessary, but in your case it would be anything but redundant.

I had a Grand Concert for ten years. It was my first taste of a guitar built by hand in a small shop. It really opened my ears and helped me improve as a musician. I wrote a lot of music on that thing. It was deep and bold and rich with very chimey highs that would ring forever. I also had an early example of James' work, a 1981 Standard, serial number 91. Even back then, James was onto something special, producing his signature tone with handcrafted excellence. The neck on my Grand Concert was a bit too beefy for me, although I could play for extended periods without discomfort. The Standard had a slimmer profile. They both worked well for solo fingerstyle and strumming, but the sound would get a bit washed out in ensemble playing. They were both solidly built and weighed more than the guitars in my current lineup.
Thanks Deft Tungsman! I sure appreciate your input and sharing of your experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
I agree with this statement 110%. Seriously. I wrote two albums worth of material when I acquired my first Beneteau..then another albums worth after the second which replaced the first. A great sounding (and feeling) guitar will take the “work” out of composing and practice and lead you to places you’ve never been, that’s the mark of a great builder, IMO. No question about it that Goodalls fall into that category.

In addition, I’m not sure who they use for their finish guy but Goodalls also have my favorite gloss finish. You can tell it’s durable and it has a really slick, glassy feel I like.
Dustin, I spent some time after work listening to your music today - you are a wonderful musician. Thanks for your input here, much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Boy can I relate to your writing proclamation.
Actually, that is a good reason why I stopped playing guitars for 20 years. I never heard a guitar that sounded like I wanted it to sound. I wanted an acoustic guitar to sound like a recorded acoustic guitar with equalization and reverb.
But everything changed in the last 20 years. We are truly in this Golden age of acoustic guitars. So many new bracing techniques. So many new body styles. So many more exotic woods in which to flavor the tone.
A great guitar will bring out new writing styles and directions. It will let us transpose our emotions with greater dynamics and harmonics.
Thanks Knives&Guitars, we are lucky to have so many great guitar options.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Absolutely. For some reason, yes my playing is inspired by the instrument and getting a new one usually does inspire creativity. I got a classic Silvertone from the 60's for my birthday and haven't been able to put it down.

I personally love my Goodall - it's a 2004 Hawaii-built GC model that I've had since new and wow does it sound great. You should go for it.

JR
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You need a Goodall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
All is good when you have a Goodall. My 1990 Rosewood Standard is amazing. I recently played a friend's Olson SJ. Although these are different sizes, the Goodall gives nothing away to the Olson. Used Goodalls in the $3 to 4 K price range are just astounding values relative to whatever else is out there.
Thanks J.R., Rob and Hoopsfan. It’s nice to hear from Goodall owners how much they enjoy their instruments. I might join you...
J.R., congrats on the Silvertone, enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion