Er...what was the question again?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Yes we do wander a bit

To clarify the original question was

Why is it ok to fire someone for marijuana use, which is legal in their states, but not someone who drinks alcohol daily?
Both are legal. One is accepted, the other is not. Legal means legal.

First off the term "OK" is a bit too vague to really answer definitively .

The question should be is it legal ? and or is it constitutional ?

Arguably the answer is we don't know definitively . So far there have been court cases that said yes a company can fire you (even for medical use ) and court cases that say no they can't if used for medical reasons.... I suppose Time will tell

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-24-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Employers can and do set standards of conduct for employees and expect those to be followed for continued employment. It seems a bit naive to use legality as the determination for what an employee should be able to do on the job without getting terminated. Getting away from the marijuana/alcohol conundrum, even though it's legal to wear t-shirts, shorts and sandals, you wouldn't last very long at a law office or other business environment if you dressed in that manner....

I was once fired from a state job for "falsifying state documents" which sounds a lot worse than I signed out at 4 PM even though I left at 3:55 PM. I should add that this was a practice that been encouraged both prior and post-offense by different supervisors in the same agency. And yes, I was reinstated with back pay, but such things do happen...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-24-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Depends on the job, which depends on the employer.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Do remember that "right to work" states are also "right to fire" states. There, an employer can let you go for any reason or no reason whatsoever. In the those states, the right of companies to set their own standards for employee conduct and hire and fire on those bases is in force.

Also remember that any company that is regulated by Federal law or regulation will tend to seek to follow Federal standards above state standards just to keep its nose clean.

Transportation, communication, power generation, drug handling, money handling, etc., companies all have Federal agencies watching over them, and are licensed by them, and bound to follow the Federal code, usually all of it, including the discrimination codes and drug usage codes. Ah, the joys of allowing the Federal bureaucracy to flourish! As we say in the South, "That'll learn you, durn you!"

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes we do wander a bit

To clarify the original question was

Why is it ok to fire someone for marijuana use, which is legal in their states, but not someone who drinks alcohol daily?
Both are legal. One is accepted, the other is not. Legal means legal.

First off the term "OK" is a bit too vague to really answer definitively .

The question should be is it legal ? and or is it constitutional ?

Arguably the answer is we don't know definitively . So far there have been court cases that said yes a company can fire you (even for medical use ) and court cases that say no they can't if used for medical reasons.... I suppose Time will tell
I don't think anyone saw me reply on page 1:

Several articles online address this quite thoroughly. Here's one of them:

https://qz.com/work/1109564/you-can-...hen-its-legal/
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Do remember that "right to work" states are also "right to fire" states. There, an employer can let you go for any reason or no reason whatsoever In the those states, the right of companies to set their own standards for employee conduct and hire and fire on those bases is in force.
Yes and no. And again not really quite so cut and dry.
First you are confusing '"Right to work" which has to do with hiring, with "Employment At Will" which has to do with termination .
The only thing "right to work" basically does is allow you to be hired without belonging to a union.

"At will" allows for when no contract exists, either the employer or the employee to terminate for any reason EXCEPT discrimination or violation of other civil rights.
And interestingly enough at least one "At Will" State Mass.
Where the Supreme Judicial Court of Mass. ruled a California sales and marketing firm discriminated against an employee of its Massachusetts operation who uses marijuana to treat Crohn’s disease when it fired her for flunking a drug test.

article here
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...35J/story.html

I am not a lawyer but I live with one .........

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I don't think anyone saw me reply on page 1:

Several articles online address this quite thoroughly. Here's one of them:

https://qz.com/work/1109564/you-can-...hen-its-legal/
Saw your first reply, but only read the article in response to your second attempt.

Fine article! Thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM

I live in Texas. We are a "Fire at Will" state. Some call that "Right to Work" as if that made it more palatable. Here you can be fired just cause I feel like it.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I live in Texas. We are a "Fire at Will" state. Some call that "Right to Work" as if that made it more palatable. Here you can be fired just cause I feel like it.
Same here in Ohio. And I think my employer is planning to use it on me.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
There is a good Eastern philosophy quote to consider---- " The lesson is always obvious to the teacher"
Because I don't try to speculate what I think people "obviously" mean. I take them at their actual words. So it's good you clarified your meaning.
"drug-free" is a commonly-used phrase that needs no more clarification for the vast majority of people than "Eastern" does in "Eastern philosophy." Most people know when you say "Eastern philosophy," you're not referring to the Eastern US or Eastern Germany, for example. When people hear "drug-free workplace," they're not thinking Advil
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
"drug-free" is a commonly-used phrase that needs no more clarification for the vast majority of people than "Eastern" does in "Eastern philosophy." Most people know when you say "Eastern philosophy," you're not referring to the Eastern US or Eastern Germany, for example. When people hear "drug-free workplace," they're not thinking Advil

Not sure the analogy really holds equally, but I am willing to concede the point.
The reason I said "Eastern" philosophy was I was not sure if calling it a Buddhist philosophy was venturing into the no fly zone.

But my actual point all along has been that the notion that, simply because it is a Federal Schedule 1 Substance it is automatically an enforceable termination offence (regardless of particular circumstance) is not quite as cut and dry or simple as some are maintaining.
That is of course unless those doing so are also willing to then stipulate that by extension , states rights are irrelevant.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 09-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I don't think anyone else got the short-term memory loss joke. Now if you had mentioned Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and Crispy Cheetos they might have gotten that!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post

I wanted to say something similar but no way I’d put it as eloquently as you did.

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
J. R.R Tolkien
Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I wanted to say something similar but no way I’d put it as eloquently as you did.

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
J. R.R Tolkien
While we can "assume" it is meaning "wish you a good morning", In point of fact it can indeed mean any one of those different meanings.

But I will grant that apparently it was only I, that was confused about your exact meaning, my apologies for my confusion

None the less can we agree that more clarity is still preferable to less clarity? Particularly in discussions that have the potential to go way sideways, in a big hurry.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic