The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Default Onboard Aura tips

Hey folks -

I bought a Martin with the Onboard Aura system on it about a year ago and am just starting to use it plugged in more often. I was wondering if you have any tips on programming it to maximize it's capabuilities. I've read the manual and played around with the various settings, etc. However, more often than not I like the undersaddle pickup sound better than the microphone images...or even the blend of them with the undersaddle pickup. I'm assumming I'm missing something with tweaking it to maximize it's capabilities. Any tips or pointers you can suggest that I try.

Thanks for any suggestions!

DRS
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM

I've been using the Aura for 7 years, you can get a very natural sound.

Learn the controls. I use very little image, maybe 25%.

Use the edit feature to EQ images, when you switch off edit mode those EQs are saved.

Start with 100% pickup then slowly add image until the quack is gone, again I use very little image. Then EQ again (not in edit mode), this EQ's the pickup and the blend.

Make sure the gain control (inside on the image electronics) has a good signal.

In edit mode the phase control is between the image and pickup, try both on/off to see which sounds better. With edit off the phase control is external between the guitar and amp/PA.

The Aura is very powerful but you need to pay your dues. Once you have it down though you pretty much can set and go.

The songs on my Youtube below are all with an '04 OMC-Aura, camcorder quality recording but I don't think you'll hear any pickup quack.

Good Luck, when I can't use microphones I grab my OMC-Aura!!

Edit: the above is for the first generation Aura, if you have the new Aura (3 buttons) the process is the same but the controls are different and you also have compression.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks a lot!!! That is exactly what I needed! (And I have the earlier generation one too! i.e. prior to the 3 buttons) Now I want to go check out your youtube recordings!

Many Thanks again...

DRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I've been using the Aura for 7 years, you can get a very natural sound.

Learn the controls. I use very little image, maybe 25%.

Use the edit feature to EQ images, when you switch off edit mode those EQs are saved.

Start with 100% pickup then slowly add image until the quack is gone, again I use very little image. Then EQ again (not in edit mode), this EQ's the pickup and the blend.

Make sure the gain control (inside on the image electronics) has a good signal.

In edit mode the phase control is between the image and pickup, try both on/off to see which sounds better. With edit off the phase control is external between the guitar and amp/PA.

The Aura is very powerful but you need to pay your dues. Once you have it down though you pretty much can set and go.

The songs on my Youtube below are all with an '04 OMC-Aura, camcorder quality recording but I don't think you'll hear any pickup quack.

Good Luck, when I can't use microphones I grab my OMC-Aura!!

Edit: the above is for the first generation Aura, if you have the new Aura (3 buttons) the process is the same but the controls are different and you also have compression.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification