The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM

I've. had a bunch of tube amps over the years and this is the one that cured my GAS.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=2172000000

Both my strat and tete sound excellent through the Princeton Reverb Reissue. The volume pot works great and sounds very good at low volume. A lot of tube amps (especially Fender) have a very sensitive volume pot that get's to loud set on 1 or 2. You can try one out at GC, but buy used and save a bunch.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Default Re:

terrapin,

Yes, I was also thinking that an attenuator would solve my volume issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
You may very well have to look into an Attenuator for any decent tube amp to get it down to small apartment volume. An AC15 has been recommended but take my word for it....they are LOUD. Perhaps a Vox AC4 would work. It is a 4 watt amp with a 2 watt and a 1 watt setting. I used to have one and even at 1 watt it could make some noise!! Make sure it is the version with a 10" speaker, the 8" speaker version is a toy IMO. They are cheaper than the Super Champ and are all tube.

I have a great little tube amp that is either 8 watts or 2 watts and even at 2 watts if I am overdriving it I can make things rattle!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Default Anyone Own One of These?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone own a Bugera V5 combo amp? A friend recommended this to me, as it is ideal for "bedroom volumes." Let me know if you recommend it. Unfortunately, none of the Guitar Centers in my area keep these in stock, so I would have to order it without testing it out.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V...esid=bugera+v5
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone own a Bugera V5 combo amp? A friend recommended this to me, as it is ideal for "bedroom volumes." Let me know if you recommend it. Unfortunately, none of the Guitar Centers in my area keep these in stock, so I would have to order it without testing it out.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V...esid=bugera+v5
I've played a couple, and they can get some nice sounds. There's a few videos reviews on YouTube for them you might check out.

Also, if the Super Champ XD was too loud, you might check out the Vibro Champ XD. It's like the little brother to the SC, only 5 watts and a smaller speaker. Worth checking out.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

VHT special 6, Ultra 6 w power scaling. All tube amp. All well below your price.

Egnater has one w build in power scaling around your price.

Carr Mercury. The ultimate champion of bedroom amp. Only $2000 new

On the side note, Super Champ XD is not loud. Its not even 100% tube amp. I have one and I can get full crank on a whisper volume. I live in an apartment with two little kids. No problem what so ever. If this amp is loud, you should not be looking at Tube amps...or get one that takes headphone...such as Marshall Class 5 or Reason Bambino.

On a second side note. I Don't recall ever seein a pure tube amp w delay. Yes many with reverb.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Re:

kscobie8,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Vibro Champ XD. I will definitely check that out as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
I've played a couple, and they can get some nice sounds. There's a few videos reviews on YouTube for them you might check out.

Also, if the Super Champ XD was too loud, you might check out the Vibro Champ XD. It's like the little brother to the SC, only 5 watts and a smaller speaker. Worth checking out.

Bel isi,
-kyle
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 AM

If 15 watts is too loud, 5 watts will also be too loud (assuming speakers of equal efficiency). A 5-watt amplifier is 50% as loud as a 50-watt one (all else being equal).

It is possible that the 8-inch speaker in the 5-watt Champ is significantly less efficient than the 10-inch one in the 15-watt Champ. If I had the model numbers of the two speakers rather than the Fender part numbers, I'd look up their efficiency ratings.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 AM

If loudness is a problem when talking about 5 watt amps, you should probably just get a solid state or modelling amp. One of the pro's to tube amps is the effect of turning it up and 'driving' the tubes - specifically the power tubes.

My choice for sub $500 tube amps

Used Peavey classic 20 (or 30) $300i - $350sh
Used Fender tube amp (your choice - princeton reverb would be awesome, though maybe out of range) $300-$500ish
Used Vox AC-15 $450ish

If these pose volume problems - just find a used cheap modeling Line 6 type deal.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
VHT special 6, Ultra 6 w power scaling. All tube amp. All well below your price.

Egnater has one w build in power scaling around your price.

Carr Mercury. The ultimate champion of bedroom amp. Only $2000 new

On the side note, Super Champ XD is not loud. Its not even 100% tube amp. I have one and I can get full crank on a whisper volume. I live in an apartment with two little kids. No problem what so ever. If this amp is loud, you should not be looking at Tube amps...or get one that takes headphone...such as Marshall Class 5 or Reason Bambino.

On a second side note. I Don't recall ever seein a pure tube amp w delay. Yes many with reverb.
I have a Reason Bambino and absolutely love it for bedroom use AND small gigs believe it or not.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see how small it is relative to my Princeton Reverb it is sitting on.

Even at the 2 watt setting this little guy can move some major air!!! But, it does have the headphone jack and if you got the head like mine you could run it through an inefficient speaker to make it perceptually quieter.

It has the added benefit of 3 footswitchable channels. Normal, Bright and Stack Mode.

It would be a good alternative, but the head alone lists for $749.00.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM

I checked out a VHT 6-watt, hand-wired yesterday. $200. More powerful models also. Very nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification