The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Got a Buzz coming from the Top of Your Guitar? Check the Truss Rod Cover!

I'm not a tech, and not even "handy" enough to do most repair type things on my own, but I did successfully troubleshoot (as in 'stumble upon the cause of') a recent buzz I was getting on one of my guitars!

I've had this annoying buzz coming from the headstock area of my J-50 for the past week or so. It was subtle, but quite noticeable. It sounded sorta like an electric razor running. I was getting the buzz on just about every string, and was getting it even on fretted notes, so I figured it was not likely the nut. (Plus, it was clearly coming from the headstock area).

Last night while trying to further trouble shoot the buzz, I discovered that the buzz disappeared when I applied pressure (pushed down) on the truss rod cover. Obviously the cover's screws had worked themselves loose, and tightening those completely eliminated the buzz.

So, be sure to check the tightness of your truss rod cover if you get a similar buzz.

Hoping this saves someone some time and frustration.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair