The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM

Default Martin D12-20 needs help

I have a 1967 martin D12-20 it was givin to me as a graduation present from the original
Owner about ten years ago, well in that time I have had to have the headstock fixed (opened the case one day and it was broke) at the same time i had that fixed i also had the neck reset, redressed the frets, and since the bridge was peeling up i had that fixed as well. The repair guy did what I found out some years later to be a real hack job, the fix on the neck is quite obvious. Well that brings us to now, the bridge is begining to crack on either side of the saddle, andthe pick guard is peeling up. My question is should i try to have the original bridge repaired or have a new one put on, and do i devalue the guitar by having a new pick guard put on. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 AM

Don't worry about devaluing the guitar by having a new pickguard, bridge or other appropriate work done. This is now, and always will be, a tool for playing music, not a collector or museum item.

That said, your comment about the previous repair and the manner in which the bridge cracked brings up questions about the quality of the neck resetting and other work, so I suggest you have it evaluated by an experienced Martin repairer.

Frank Ford
Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 AM

Thanks for your imput, you are right it is a great guitar and I dont really plan on selling it so i wont worry about the value, to much.
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair