The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Reading your previous post, Get the Plans for the J-200, it will give you a lot of info so you don't have to make it all up.
You can change the radius, but it will also change the taper of the sides when laid flat...which you will have to figure out.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 AM

I'll echo what Funkymonk#9 suggested.

If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and get the Cumpiano / Natleson book Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology. It is well written and has a huge amount of information without drowning you in trivia. A great online builders forum is MIMF.com . If you're doing your own design, you may find a lot of design hints by searching google images for "jumbo bracing" - that filters for internal photos. If you start with a J-200 or dreadnaught bracing style and change it to meet your particular need, you'll have a bunch of the essential measurements pretty close. I have two different D-plans (one from Bill Lewis - remember him, anyone? Lewis Luthier Supplies was the forerunner of LMI) and they are like encyclopedias on one sheet of paper. It is pretty instructive to compare plans even if you're building a different design.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedOne View Post
Bill Lewis - remember him, anyone? Lewis Luthier Supplies was the forerunner of LMI...
Indeed I do: my chisels were designed by and purchased from him and have the name "Lewis" stamped on the back.

We're showing our age.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
I saw these plans for a "SJ-200".... http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultima...products_id=24
I've built three dread's using the plans from Georgia Luthier Supply and they are very nice plans and the guitars sound great.

http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultima...&products_id=2
Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 PM

well, it's on! I got the sj-200 plans. I've got the mold done, and some clamps made..... Once I have some actual progress on it, I will get some pictures in this thread
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Besides here, you may also want to peruse:
http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/ (not just about kits)
http://www.luthiertalk.com/forums/
http://www.mimf.com/
http://luthiersforum.com/forum/

I don't have any recommendations for or against any of these; it's just that there are numerous "build guitars" forums. There are even more, though more electric-oriented.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Book wise - I would recommend Cumpiano and Natleson's guitar making... Augment it with the tips on Cumpiano's website...

It's probably the least jig and special tooling reliant book out there... It's what I use for the vast majority of my building tasks... Compare that to several other books out there where you will spend 2x the time and money building specialized jigs and fixtures....

Unfortunately - there's nothing like the frustration of a "Beautiful tradgedy"... aka - most early build guitars.... Such beautiful wood... Such expensive components... So unplayable...

Here's my bits of advice....

1. BUY a Pre-slotted fretboard.. Do not make this yourself on your #1 build if you have any hope of playing your guitar... Very high precision is required for the fretted notes to play in tune - and most people cannot achieve this level of precision with a hand saw over 20+ frets....

2. Keep your costs down by buying "Low grade" student materials vs "Master" and "AAA" grade tonewood... The big difference is the visual appearance - not the suitability, stability, or sound it will make.... The cost of this stuff can be 25% to 50% of the high grade wood... Nobody will know that you used a $10 top rather than a $50 top....

3. A great setup makes an OK guitar into a great guitar... and none of the books you will find really goes into specific detail about how to do a really good setup... It may be worth it to have a luthier level and fret the fretboard, set the bridge, make the nut and saddle, and do your first setup for you....

4. Bolt on neck. So much easier to get the geometry right... So much easier to adjust in the future when needed...

Key questions to answer for yourself....
Are you going to joint the top and back yourself or buy?
Are you going to inlay the rosette yourself or buy?
Are you going to bend the sides yourself or buy?
Are you going to glue up and carve the neck yourself or buy?

and finally - do you plan on putting on the finish or shopping that out?

Thanks

Last edited by Truckjohn; 03-01-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:52 PM

for anyone interested, here are pics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
first build, new member