The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Default Best source for used PA gear

My first amplification purchase, want to set up for acoustic gigs and an open mic night in a friends bar. I will need 8 channel minimum, quality acoustic sound.

I am open to either powered-mix/passive-speaker, or passive- mix/powered-speaker setup. I have a good feel for the brands and models that are respected on this forum for both mixers and speakers. Now to find a great deal and buy my first PA... woohoo.

I don't want to buy anything I can't look at and try first, so I need to find a reasonably local seller (I will drive 300 miles from Santa Barbara for the right system... San Diego to San Francisco).

Craigslist is the best source I have found for used gear... do you guys have any "secret sources" for finding local gear in California?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I would say Craigslist or the used.guitarcenter.com site (search by zip code so you can find stuff in your area). A Yamaha Powered Mixer and a pair of passive speakers or an Allen & Heath board and a pair of QSC or EV powered speakers would do the trick I would think, you could choose models based on price range and size of shows you are playing. Good luck!

Alex
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

You might try the Gear Page, another forum online but one that is more dedicated to electric guitars and such... but they have a number of forums for selling; I'm sure you can find some nice stuff on there, and equally sure that many members are in California...

Do an online search for used pa gear stores and narrow your search to California... Check the LA Times, San Fran Chronicle for their classifieds...

Good luck!

John

(It just so happens that I have most of the PA that I used before I bought my Bose system... small Mackie board, Roland FX unit, Ultimate speaker stands, Crown amp... pm me if you have interest!)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks for your responses Guys...

John - Great ideas for used gear resourcing, I will be hunting hard. Thanks for your offer of old PA gear, I have been leaning toward Alex's suggestion of A&H ZED14 + powered speakers, RCF/QSC/EV... should be able to put together a nice expandable base rig for around $1500-$2000 if I am patient and buy well... wish me luck on finding quality used gear (yikes).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification