The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Default K&K Mini Installation

I want to install one of these in my guitar, but I don't really want to superglue anything to my guitar. But, I heard that it is much better to glue it than to rely on the provided double-sided adhesive tape. Is it hard to remove the superglued contacts if I don't like the K&K mini? What are your thoughts? Also, I was told by my local guitar shop that I should have a pro install it because of the critical placement required. I don't really believe them because there are many on this forum who say is is relatively simple to self-install. They put the fear into me about doing it myself, and they want to charge me 80 bucks to install. Seems a bit much for something that should only take them a few minutes to do.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM

I looked at the installation procedure, and while it seems a bit involved it doesn't seem particularly difficult if you take your time.

Might I suggest using the tape to get the correct positioning, and then marking the positions and super gluing the pickups in place? That way if you're off a bit at first you can just move the taped element to the correct location until it sounds correct.

I believe there are plenty of people on this forum who have successfully installed the pickup themselves.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM

One more thing, Rick. I don't know if there's anything sonically magical about superglue. Perhaps a less permanent but still strong adhesive would work just as well? I've heard that removing a superglued pickup won't damage the guitar, but it could damage the pickup.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM

I just installed them on my Taylor last week. This was my first time installing acoustic pickups and I'm no handy man, so I think you should go for it and save yourself that money. I followed the instructions provided here:

http://www.frettech.com/kk/index.html

By far the most difficult part is drilling out the hole for the strap jack. I didn't even have a drill and borrowed one from my neighbor, and had to get the right bits at Home Depot because he couldn't find his. Start as the articles says, with a smaller drill bit and use progressively larger diameter bits. I ended up drilling a whole a little bit bigger than what was needed, but it still worked. And even though it was not necessary, I bought a 25 cent stainless steel washer at Home Depot and it looks super pro now. lol.

I was pretty nervous, but was able to pull it off.

As far as I know, the double sided adhesive is for adhering the transducers to the cardboard so you can glue them to your guitar.

I recently bought a Fishman Loudbox Artist and the pickups sound great. Sounds more like a mic'ed guitar to me.

Maybe people with more experience installing pickups can chime in with more tips, but I just wanted to let you know that it's doable.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Ok, I will do my 414 first, then move on to the 814. Thx!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm not that handy, but I've installed the last two myself with no problems. I'ts pretty easy if you read the instructions thuroughly and practice the moves before using glue like they recommend.

Go for it!. Plus the glue they use will pop right off if you don't like them.

I've got K&K Mini's on five different very guitars now and love the sound of every one plugged in.

David
David's CDs
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontanaman View Post
I followed the instructions provided here:

http://www.frettech.com/kk/index.html
ditto - added it to my Big Baby last year. I don't gig it, but it ha held up just fine as installed per the above.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification