The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-31-2021, 08:41 AM

Default BEGINNER: Keyboard/synth into Tascam DP-008

I'm trying to get my daughter a DAWless setup for songwriting, so I'm looking at a Tascam DP-008ex. I also wanted to get her a mini keyboard/synth just to play around with, so I wanted to get some recommendations for a beginner's keyboard with beats that can plug directly into the Tascam (again, DAWless).

She's looking to just record some basic keyboard, beats, and vocals.

I'm obviously a beginner and am working through the fundamental research, so I'd love some recommendations. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

More info perhaps.

So apparently she plays keyboards and sings ?

What recording equipment does she or you currently have (i.e. the Tascam will need a mic for vocal, which mic do you/she have ,etc.) ?

The Songwriting is for what goal after writing the song, exactly ?

The "beats" are for just for keeping time ?

Why so adamant about DAWless ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-31-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I'm trying to get my daughter a DAWless setup for songwriting, so I'm looking at a Tascam DP-008ex. I also wanted to get her a mini keyboard/synth just to play around with, so I wanted to get some recommendations for a beginner's keyboard with beats that can plug directly into the Tascam (again, DAWless).

She's looking to just record some basic keyboard, beats, and vocals.

I'm obviously a beginner and am working through the fundamental research, so I'd love some recommendations. Thanks!
I coincidentally viewed some of the reviews for the Yamaha PSS-F30 keyboard on Youtube and it gets a ton of praise.

Yamaha PSS-F30 at Sweetwater.

It should plug into a DP-008 with a patch cord and possibly an adapter to mate the connector size.

Also consider the Zoom R8 recorder. It records at true 24 bits, if you end up wanting to actually do anything with your tracks in a DAW it will produce much better results.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-31-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
More info perhaps.
So apparently she plays keyboards and sings ?
What recording equipment does she or you currently have (i.e. the Tascam will need a mic for vocal which mic do you has ,etc.) ?
The Songwriting is for what goal after writing the song, exactly ?
The "beats" are for just for keeping time ?
Why so adamant about DAWless ? Does she not have a computer ?
Yes, she can play piano (and we have a piano at home) and so she sings over basic chords tends to build melodies off of that. That's her main instrument. And, yes, she just does the usual lo-fi bedroom songwriting for now. Nothing sophisticated.

No recording equipment, but I'll pick up a mic for the Tascam.

When I say "beats", it's not so much for keeping time but for creating simple beats (kick, snare, kick snare) so that the track won't be just vocals and piano.

As far as going DAWless, it's both tech limitations and tech-savviness limitations. She's only got a Chrome and we won't be buying a new laptop just for this, and I know her well enough, too, that too much complexity, flexibility, and options will be more of a barrier. Paradox of choice and all.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I coincidentally viewed some of the reviews for the Yamaha PSS-F30 keyboard on Youtube and it gets a ton of praise.

Yamaha PSS-F30 at Sweetwater.

It should plug into a DP-008 with a patch cord and possibly an adaptor to mate the connector size.
Thanks. This looks interesting for such an affordable piece! I might need something with more flexibility in tapping drums, but this is definitely an option.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, she can play piano (and we have a piano at home) and so she sings over basic chords tends to build melodies off of that. That's her main instrument. And, yes, she just does the usual lo-fi bedroom songwriting for now. Nothing sophisticated.

No recording equipment, but I'll pick up a mic for the Tascam.

When I say "beats", it's not so much for keeping time but for creating simple beats (kick, snare, kick snare) so that the track won't be just vocals and piano.

As far as going DAWless, it's both tech limitations and tech-savviness limitations. She's only got a Chrome and we won't be buying a new laptop just for this, and I know her well enough, too, that too much complexity, flexibility, and options will be more of a barrier. Paradox of choice and all.
OK I don't have any specific recommendations but it looks like what you are looking for is an entry level digital keyboard, that has either line or instrument output (to go into the Tascam) that has some drum pattern options ....
And then it looks like you will also be looking for some headphones an analog a vocal mic (possibly condenser) and a mic stand.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-31-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
OK I don't have any specific recommendations but it looks like what you are looking for is an entry level digital keyboard, that has either line or instrument output (to go into the Tascam) that has some drum pattern options ....
And then it looks like you will also be looking for some headphones an analog a vocal mic (possibly condenser) and a mic stand.
That looks to be correct. It looks like a digital piano/mini keyboard with a drum pad (as opposed to preprogrammed drum patterns) won't be too easy to find on a budget.

What I also wanted to confirm is that those MIDI controllers won't work for what I'm looking for. Those MIDI controllers like those Arturias categorically and by definition require software/DAW, correct?
Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. This looks interesting for such an affordable piece! I might need something with more flexibility in tapping drums, but this is definitely an option.
If she plays piano with two hands, that Yamaha keyboard is going to be very limiting.

What's your budget on a keyboard? Your desire to go "DAWless" eliminates the more inexpensive keyboard midi controller options that could be combined with software. You're essentially looking for a synthesizer since you want both piano and drums. The only inexpensive option I can find out there is the Kurzweil KP-30. It has dedicated drum pads of a sort. They're the five light gray buttons just above the keyboard, dead center.

The cons for this keyboard, just so you're aware of them...
1. The piano keys are not full size.
2. There is no touch sensitivity ...meaning you can't play some things softer or louder than others.
3. The drums are very basic and only include five sounds (bass drum, snare drum, hi-hat open, hi-hat close, and high tom).

Going "DAWless" really does limit your options.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-31-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That looks to be correct. It looks like a digital piano/mini keyboard with a drum pad (as opposed to preprogrammed drum patterns) won't be too easy to find on a budget.

What I also wanted to confirm is that those MIDI controllers won't work for what I'm looking for. Those MIDI controllers like those Arturias categorically and by definition require software/DAW, correct?
Ah got it,,,, looking for her control the input of drum sounds which yes can be a drum pads or could be keyboard keys

I believe yes,, most Midi keyboards and controllers I know of go USB out to a computer and work with a DAW. or Midi out to a device with midi in connection. ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-31-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If she plays piano with two hands, that Yamaha keyboard is going to be very limiting....

Going "DAWless" really does limit your options.
Thanks for the insight. I can't say you're wrong, and I'm in this frustrating spot where she's just starting out and we're trying to make a decision around how much money to put into this rather than grow as we figure out (the hard way) what works and what doesn't work for her style and level of comfort, not too dissimilar to the usual conversations on the forum around spending $200 on a beginner guitar for a kid versus a $700 guitar that's much easier to play.

Anyway, I appreciate the points you made. All valid and useful. I'm still confused about what to do, but it helps to have more to chew on.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would be a little hesitant because that keyboard's only out is a head phone out. So the question would be, will that work signal level wise with the line/instrument In ,,, on Tascam ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-31-2021, 10:56 AM

Many years ago, before I used a computer for this sort of thing I used inexpensive Casio keyboards for this. With any necessary adapters and/or a patch cord I would plug into a cassette-based recorder.

I didn't program drum beats on these, and I don't even recall if that was an option. I did program drum beats on stand-alone "drum machine" boxes that were also sold around that time. However, I did use the built in rhythms that those keyboards included which were easy to set for tempo. I recall they also had intro and ending variations, but they were repetitive sounding compared to a real drummer. Good for keeping time, and allowing one to explore different "feels," and they didn't even sound very artificial sonically.

The keyboard sounds and the drums would be "premixed" into the outputs of the keyboard. Good in that it only used one to two tracks (if stereo, I'd actually usually go mono to save tracks for other uses) on the limited inputs of my recorder then.

I don't have experience with current models. You haven't mentioned budget. Something like this looks like what I used to use in my cheap and cheerful days:

A sub $200 Casio arranger keyboard

Key action on these inexpensive keyboards is not like an acoustic piano, but one can play music on them and they're big enough to use two handed playing. The other sounds (organs, synth sounds etc) can be a nice bonus.

If you want something that feels more like a real acoustic piano, I have heard from a relative who performs and is used to a real grand piano that the Casio Privia models are surprisingly good for feel.

Casio Privia sub $1000 88 key model

Now someone who gets easily lost in options or features can still get lost in standalone devices. The "dance of the buttons" to get to advanced features on such devices are arguably harder to learn and comprehend that DAWs that have big screens and lots of step by step YouTube lessons. However, when I was using them I just leaned the basic things I needed to get drums and keyboard sounds quickly with them. That's just a matter of focus.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-31-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Something like this looks like what I used to use in my cheap and cheerful days:

A sub $200 Casio arranger keyboard

....Now someone who gets easily lost in options or features can still get lost in standalone devices....
Thanks for the recommendation! And good point on that last part!
Old 12-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! And good point on that last part!
Well the Tascam manual is 92 pages ???? something to think about

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-31-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Well the Tascam manual is 92 pages ???? something to think about
I’m hoping one third of that is in Japanese and the other third in Spanish, so fingers crossed for 30 pages of reading!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD