The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2019, 01:25 AM

Default Best CF guitar model plugged in?

I am looking to purchase a CF guitar that would be used mostly plugged into a AER amplifier. Was wondering if any one had suggestions or advice as to which CF guitars would be ideal candidates for this?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Emerald X 10 would be my guess
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
mostly plugged into a AER amplifier.
Just one amp? I don't know.

But, if you're ready to expand your sonic pallet check this out.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 AM

The best sounding stage guitar I have - period - is my Rainsong WS-1000 with a Fishman on-board blender, set to about 30% mic. This is a 2001 build and barn door system. It was amazing the first time the monitor sound was on a big stage. I usually shoot for natural tone with no effects.

Having said that, the pickup system is far more important than the brand or model. Years ago I wanted to put a pickup into my then-new Martin J-40. At Gryphon the sales person let me play a D-28 with a Fishman Matrix I piezo. Then I played a Backpacker with the same pickup. Once the amplified sound was loud enough to overcome the acoustic tone, there really wasn't much difference. Granted, pickups are much better these days, but that taught me a lesson.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

A Composite Acoustics (CA) guitar with the optional Fishman Aura Onboard system sounds really good. I had a now discontinued CA Tim Stafford Signature Dreadnought with that system and it sounded great when plugged-in. Alternatively, a RainSong model with the standard onboard Fishman Prefix Plus T system sounds good, especially when routed through a Fishman Aura Pedal or a ToneDexter. Then again, you can make just about any pickup/preamp system in any brand of carbon or wooden guitar sound good through adding an Aura or ToneDexter pedal to your signal chain.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-09-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 AM

The now-discontinued Rainsong APLE, with the Fishman Prefix blender, was my personal favorite. Bridge transducer plus internal mic, with TRS stereo output and an onboard blend slider.

I would also recommend the current LR Baggs Anthem-equipped Rainsongs, similar idea to the blender on the APLE. A pickup, which is capable of high gain-before-feedback, with a mic to add the "air" to the mix.

Lots of CF instruments out there with K&K pickup options, Rainsong, Emerald, etc. Can get great sounds out of them, but they're a lot more finnickey, require outboard gear to sound right, and take a lot of fine-tuning.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
The now-discontinued Rainsong APLE, with the Fishman Prefix blender, was my personal favorite. Bridge transducer plus internal mic, with TRS stereo output and an onboard blend slider.

I would also recommend the current LR Baggs Anthem-equipped Rainsongs, similar idea to the blender on the APLE. A pickup, which is capable of high gain-before-feedback, with a mic to add the "air" to the mix.

Lots of CF instruments out there with K&K pickup options, Rainsong, Emerald, etc. Can get great sounds out of them, but they're a lot more finnickey, require outboard gear to sound right, and take a lot of fine-tuning.
I have a K&K in my Rainsong AGF Shorty. It sounds really good, unless it sounds terrible. Really depends on the house system, and I have learned to bring my own DI box just in case.

If I wanted a dedicated stage instrument, I'd pick a Rainsong OM or WS with no pickup, and have my tech install a Fishman Prefix Blender. Or (as above) just buy one with the Anthem.

I remain convinced that Acoustically, Fishman's thin hard under-saddle elements have no effect on the acoustic tone, while Bagg's braided ones do.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM

In my opinion you should consider what style of guitar suits your comfort level first (dreadnought, jumbo, concert hall, etc.) that is very important. If you don't find the guitar comfortable to play than you will most likely abandon playing it. Once you have that figured out you can then decide how you want it to sound plugged in. Some people like a natural (mic like) tone some like quacky piezo tone. There's some pickup systems out there that will have a negative impact on the guitars unplugged tone, again some care about this some don't. I happen to have a lot of experience with pickup systems and while the Anthem can sound nice plugged in, it's one of the more guilty systems out there for affecting a guitar's natural voice. What kind of places will you be playing at? Loud bars, solo or duo acts will also determine what type of pickup you should go with. Another question, and probably most important, is how much money are you looking to spend? I would be happy to help you if you could answer a few of those questions. You can simply buy the guitar you're interested in and install your pickup system of choice in it after the fact.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:18 PM

The most subjective of all subjective questions.
/thread.

In my experience, any CF guitar--depending on 1) your ears, and 2) the pickup system that sounds best to you--could be made to have your ideal plugged-in sound.

I'd suggest first factoring in your size preferences, scale-length, playability, and look preferences...then seeking out the right pickup system for you.

Most recently, I've found a magnetic pickup (of all things!) that offered one of the most "natural" plugged-in tones. You never know. So find the guitar that looks and plays right for you...then find the pickup system that sounds best to you.

Last edited by tommyld; 03-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 PM

Thanks very much for your responses guys. That is a whole load of information that I need to take in!

I am playing this in church plugged in mostly, which will go to a AER amplifier which will then go out to the PA mains. Size doesn't bother me much, though I tried acoustically the travel version of the Mcpherson CF guitar and thought the full sized one sounded quite a fair bit fuller.

I currently have a Martin HD28E Retro (Fishman Aura Plus) which I love, but due to the high humidity where I live, am looking to sell that off to get a a CF guitar that I can load into the car on a hot day without worries.

Based on what I am reading, it seems that the pick up system seems to be the biggest factor in getting a good sound out of the guitar, and CF guitars equipped with the Fishman Prefix Blender seems to be a good candidate for that?

I tried the LR Anthem Baggs before and thought it lost out to the Fishman Aura Plus on the HE28E in terms of "natural" plugged-in tones, which is what I really am after.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Thanks very much for your responses guys. That is a whole load of information that I need to take in!

I am playing this in church plugged in mostly, which will go to a AER amplifier which will then go out to the PA mains. Size doesn't bother me much, though I tried acoustically the travel version of the Mcpherson CF guitar and thought the full sized one sounded quite a fair bit fuller.

I currently have a Martin HD28E Retro (Fishman Aura Plus) which I love, but due to the high humidity where I live, am looking to sell that off to get a a CF guitar that I can load into the car on a hot day without worries.

Based on what I am reading, it seems that the pick up system seems to be the biggest factor in getting a good sound out of the guitar, and CF guitars equipped with the Fishman Prefix Blender seems to be a good candidate for that?

I tried the LR Anthem Baggs before and thought it lost out to the Fishman Aura Plus on the HE28E in terms of "natural" plugged-in tones, which is what I really am after.

Thanks!
Get a RainSong with the standard Fishman Prefix Plus T and buy a Fishman Aura Pedal and download to it the appropriate RainSong Aura Images.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-09-2019, 10:10 PM

I had the Fishman Aura pedal previously with a Takamine but it was just abit more of a hassle in terms of setting up so I'm looking at just a guitar itself that can hopefully fulfill my needs.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:33 PM

The best pickup that I ever heard is a Schatten HFN. It's been getting lots of attention the last few months in the amplification section of the forum. You can install that yourself very easy in your guitar of choice.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 PM

I’ve gotten a number of compliments on the sound of my CA GX with a Fishman Prefix Plus T system on it — the most notable being a sound man for a full-size PA at a festival I played a few years ago who told me afterward that it was the best sounding acoustic guitar he’d ever heard. Kinda surprised me a lot — I’ve always liked and been very happy with the sound but that’s pretty high praise from a guy who’s obviously heard plenty of amplified acoustics. FWIW.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-12-2019, 01:06 AM

Guess it depends more on the pickup. However, I do get a good acoustic sound with my custom made leviora fan fret guitar equipped with Miniflex 2 mic & highlander / Sunrise pickup

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber