The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-14-2020, 02:53 PM

Default This guy does know a thing or two about rhythm guitar

Soooo . . .

Last edited by frankmcr; 12-14-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 PM

I can listen to Keith Richards talk about playing music and be more inspired to pick up my guitar and play, than listening to just about any of the highly trained and educated experts out there...

And if anyone hasn't seen his documentary "Under The Influence" on Netflix, it's a pure delight from beginning to end...

The man truly just loves to play music...
Old 12-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I can listen to Keith Richards talk about playing music and be more inspired to pick up my guitar and play, than listening to just about any of the highly trained and educated experts out there...

And if anyone hasn't seen his documentary "Under The Influence" on Netflix, it's a pure delight from beginning to end...

The man truly just loves to play music...
+1, and thanks for the heads up on that documentary. I don’t have Netflix, but I’ll keep an eye out for it if it shows up somewhere else.
For me, Keith Richards has always been an inspiration and the reason I took up guitar in the first place. As much as I pleaded, my parents wouldn’t buy me an electric, so I started on a cheap acoustic. But December’s Children was my first ever LP, and I was hooked ever since.
One of the things that always stood out for me with the Stones, particularly their early recordings, when they did a lot of covers, were the guitar tones and interplay. I have to believe Keith was the main driver of that sound. He knows what works, and understands all it takes sometimes is that one note or chord, at the right time and place. His sense of timing is better than good.
I’ve had Gimme Shelter as my ringtone for a while now, and it never fails. As soon as it rings, heads turn and nodding smiles follow.
Coincidentally I’ve been listening to “Talk Is Cheap” again recently. Definitely worth a listen if you don't know it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-15-2020, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the video. The older and wiser I get, the more I appreciate Keith. And yes, Under the Influence was great!
Old 12-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Exile on Main Street is my desert island record. And that album is roughly ALL Keith. That's the funkiest rocking blues record I've ever heard anywhere. Amazing rhythms coming up from the swamp. I'm not a great rhythm player but I'm better at playing loose than playing tight, and I attribute that to the many many hours I've spent listening to Keith since I was about 10, so for more than 50 years. I don't have much polish, but I have a little funk. He's gotta be my #1 rhythm influence. Peter Green and BB King my primary lead influences, because I can play slow and soulful semi-well but can't play fast at ALL...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write