The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-13-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Just Completed Leavitt's Modern Method For Guitar Vol. 1 - Question about Vol. 2 & 3

Hello All,

Been playing seriously for almost two years here--a little about my background: I'm a public school music teacher (4th-6th grade general music/chorus), but I just recently got super into guitar as a passion project around Feb. 2018.

The main reason I got into guitar was because I really like genres like rock, folk, alternative. Pretty sure a lot of artists I like can't read music, but being a musician already, I wanted to be able to read music as well as find chords/notes/scales all over the fretboard and have a bit of technical mastery. It took me about a year to get through Vol. 1. I've found some new interests along the way...I've noticed Modern Method Vol. 1 was geared towards Jazz guitar...which I have started listening to a bit. I also am starting to become interested in the idea of getting into the whole chord melody thing both with fingerstyle and with a pick. I recently started working on Ken Perlman's "Fingerstyle Guitar" book as well to help with this. I also bought Mark Hanson's first fingerpicking book but for now that one is waiting in the wings. Also, I'm just playing songs for fun from the genres I mentioned.

I know that right now my goals are:

1) Be able to read music/sight read, knowing all notes and most chords all over the fretboard.
2) Be proficient with pick style and with fingerstyle.
3) Be able to play anything from complex solo fingerpicking arrangments to vocal accompaniment.
4) Be able to play rock/folk/alternative, chord melody/fingerstyle, maybe Jazz (depending if I keep up the interest in that one)

All this being said, my question is regarding what my skill level might be like at the end of Modern Method Vol. 3, for those who have completed the series/book. If I am understanding correctly--

Vol. 1 - Beginner, though many say it moves very quickly for a beginner book
Vol. 2 - Intermediate
Vol. 3 - Advanced

I *think* I chose some good books for my goals here, but I just want to manage expectations for myself. Would you consider someone who has completed all 3 volumes of modern method to be at an advanced level? Would you consider these books, as well as just learning songs I love in general to be in line with my goals?

As always, I appreciate any wisdom anyone has for me. Thanks!

Last edited by FiggyPudding18; 12-13-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:23 PM

You will get some good advice here, but on the Jazz guitar forum there are extensive discussions of Leavitt's methods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write