The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-08-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hey again,

OK, I have another technique problem that has always bugged me. When I fingerpick with three fingers, my third finger makes a much quieter note than the other two. The index and middle and loud'n'proud, but the ring finger is a lot more bashful.

Does anyone have any tips of getting that third finger to pull its weight more?

-Mark
Check out this Clive Carroll exercise - addresses this very problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aCCdectVdE

From 2:00, he demonstrates playing the pattern by making each finger in turn louder than the others.

You don't have to choose that fancy chord shape, of course, but it does give you something interesting to listen to while doing the exercise .

Likewise, you can choose a simpler right-hand pattern than that fiendishly difficul one! Just pick any chord, and any easy p-i-m-a arpeggio. Then focus deliberately on making the thumb and each finger in turn louder than the others (while keeping the same pattern). Really exaggerate the difference, like Carroll does. In your case, you may want to focus mostly on the ring finger.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:12 AM

I have the same problem with a weaker 3rd finger, my 3rd finger training program consists of playing a couple of Irish jigs alternating im throughout and then ma but mostly ma when training and no thumb, seems a lot more realistic and enjoyable to me at least than playing endless arpegios.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:50 PM

Thanks again. That video by Clive is great, and I would never have found it through search alone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write