The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-09-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Alcohol is so deeply woven into so many aspects of our lives, and is almost always a part of celebrations and entertainment. But I know a good number of alcoholics who are professional musicians, or at least performing musicians, who no longer drink. I used to think this must be difficult for them, but they always say they’re past it bothering them or tempting them. Clearly it’s a non-issue now.

Personally, when I was still gigging (pre-COVID), I didn’t drink while performing, except when someone handed me a beer during the last set.

I also know tons of drinking musicians, most of whom don’t drink till after the gig.
The first line of your post is so true and from where I sit, so sad.
I’m not going to sit here and claim any saintly behavior over the years, but I don’t drink at all anymore and haven’t for a while. I guess I never really was a “drinker” persay.
It seems odd to me now that we can’t enjoy things without booze.
As far as playing music and drinking, never combined the two.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-09-2022, 11:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The more musician bios I read, the more I realize that many players climb to the top while still struggling with stage fright. Ice skaters aren't the only ones who refer to the green room as the "vomitorium." Many musicians self-medicate with alcohol or drugs in an attempt to handle the pressure and end up in trouble as a result. Many of the classic rock bands dealt with it and chose to go strictly sober after a period of experimentation.

I've dealt with both sober and inebriated musicians and I can't remember a good experience with an inebriated one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-09-2022, 02:00 PM

I like to have three or four drinks before I perform at an open mic or gig. I don’t play regularly (max once per week) so I don’t have any concerns about this, I never drink at home, only in the pub.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:04 PM

I have never seen a reason for me to drink.. or smoke. No one complains about me not drinking. And they are good about not pressuring me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:43 AM

Yes. Alcohol is part of all the entertainment in the US. Every entertainment event I attend has lots of alcohol available - sporting events, concerts, plays, ballet. Even the local movie theaters offer beer and wine with your popcorn.

Anyone that's played in a bar knows their job is to draw a crowd and keep them there buying drinks.

I've been to shows where the artist (Neil Young and James McMurtry for example) have come right out and said "I'm really just a beer salesman."

Many years ago I drank way too much. These days I still have a drink every few days, but never more than two beers.

Playing drunk isn't fun for me. Likewise playing with drunks or for drunks isn't any fun.

So many well known artists have/had self-destructive lifestyles often involving drugs and/or alcohol - Janis Joplin, Townes Van Zandt, Amy Winehouse, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Unfortunately its become almost an expectation by our culture. My former duo partner was an ex-addict and an alcoholic up until his death at 48, so it affects the lesser known artists as well.

All that said, I don't think the alcohol-free festival or concert idea is going to catch on anytime soon.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Alcohol is so deeply woven into so many aspects of our lives, and is almost always a part of celebrations and entertainment.
I won't say that I totally abstain from drinking, but do so with such frequency that I consider myself a non-drinker. I don't see the point because for me life doesn't improve in the slightest when I'm drinking or in the company of those who do. But as Joe Beamish wrote, it's deeply woven into the fabric of our society...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-10-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I played in an acoustic duo 40 years ago and developed a serious drinking and drug habit as a part of what I assumed was the lifestyle. Once clean and sober I didn't play out, or much at all for about 20 years. My fear was that my addictions and music were too related and I didn't wish to relapse. Happily I've been gigging on occasion with Rokdog and in some worship teams at church for about he past 10 years. In December I celebrated 33 years of sobriety so this is a long way to say that today, it's a non issue.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I think it's interesting that so many great songwriters have been addicts in one form or another. I assume that some of the personality traits that make you a great songwriter and also lead to substance abuse issues. Combine that with access and a lifestyle that involved frequently being on the road, and it's a dangerous pairing.

On a personal note: despite my moniker (a joking reference to my College days) I only drink about 2 days per week. So while I'm a regular drinker, I'm not a heavy drinker. Personally I find that my ability to play guitar and/or sing goes out the window after more than 1 drink. I'm wound pretty tightly in general. I'm fairly intense and pretty driven. This has helped me in my chosen profession, but makes it tough for me to relax. Alcohol helps me wind down on the weekends. It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but I'm 40 and it hasn't become a problem.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-10-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

There seems to be a stereotype of the tortured artists, especially within certain genres of music.

Though there appears to be a link between creativity, drinking and drug use (I’ll go as far as to say addiction and mental illness), I don’t think the artist is likely to self destruct more then any other endeavor or career choice.

With that said, I lost a loads of good time music buddies to drinking and drugs. Perhaps it was just the circles I ran in back in the day. Glad I never fell deep into boozing and drugs.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter Shack View Post
Hey folks,

It's a well-known fact that alcohol and music have always complemented each other.
I don't think that's a "well-known fact" nor that it's even true for that matter. Look up the definition of "complement" and you might see the inaccuracy in that premise. Alcohol and music may go together, but that doesn't mean that they bring out the best in each other. Substances such as are being discussed here provide a socially acceptable means in which to alter ones mood and/or attitude fairly quickly. Unfortunately, these substances can be very addictive and don't usually change mood and attitude for the better if you're to believe those surrounding the drunk or high individual...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-10-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Back in my gigging days, I would go to the bar before each set and get a pint of beer and a pint of Coke, and I would drink them through the set. I would then have another beer or two at the end of the night, after we were done playing.

Given that a lot of bands play in bars, I would say that, yes, they go hand in hand. Of course it's perfectly fine to have one without the other, but it's profoundly common to marry the two, as well...
Old 01-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter Shack View Post
Hey folks,
It's a well-known fact that alcohol and music have always complemented each other.
" Fact that they have always complemented each other" ? as stated in a such a glittering generality format =is IMO a False premise .
Often associated ? absolutely. Can be a problem ? for sure but "Complementary". NOT
But is probably fair to say "in general" in the west at least many or most forms of adult socializing involve alcohol

Quote:
Next week, I'm interviewing an upcoming rapper from Wisconsin about his now 10-month sobriety and whether or not this has affected his position in the hip-hop market. I'm going to try and find out if the concept of sober festivals will achieve mainstream adoption. I also wish to extract some tips for young people who wish to navigate the Western music industry and remain sober.

Many of us have had experiences with alcohol and music. But what are your experiences with said vices and the music industry?

Cheers!
Humm you realize hip hop is only one segment of a much larger Music Industry..

Back in my younger gigging days I usually avoided Alcohol before an during the gig but often imbibed after (often too much)
Since quitting drinking some 35 years ago my drive home a gig is much more worry free

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-10-2022, 04:05 PM

It's hard to imagine any other activity than guitar playing which requires such a high degree of fine motor control timing and an alert focus on the task in hand, how could anyone think alcohol could be anything but a spanner in the works?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm not prime time by any means, but a beer, or two depending how long I have to wait to go up for my turn at the open Mic, has never turned my mind to mush and my fingers to jelly. I don't know what's happening to you folks that all of a sudden can't function after a drink. But then again, I've never been where I can't stop once I start, so if that is the case I understand completely that perhaps it is a good idea to abstain.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 01-10-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 PM

I refrain from alcohol during our sets. After we are done and we've broke down and loaded out we will all hang out for a while and have a couple of drinks.

Having an alcohol free venue with live music would be a tough sell as in most venues the profit from alcohol sales is what pays for the entertainment. A cover charge would solve that but I don't know how the public would react.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
alcohol, live performance, music business, music industry