The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2021, 01:49 PM

Default Strings for a Crowded Bonfire

Hello All,
I would love to explore how to get even more volume/projection/low-end out of my dread, and was wondering what strings you would recommend. I traditionally use medium PBs. I couldn’t imagine using anything lighter than medium, or any low-tension string because of how hard I strum. I play sing-a-longs for large groups, usually outdoors. I grew up playing punk rock, and now play whatever folks will sing, lots of country, folk, rock, and pop usually translated into country-ish renditions. I slam on my dreadnaught until I whittle down my picks to nubs and wear through my pickguard. I will never take a solo, I will never bend a note. I am looking particularly for the loudest low-end, to make people feel comfortable singing who are used to having bass in the mix. What strings would you recommend to someone who will abuse them, will only play chords, and wants to wake up the neighbors the next valley over?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-29-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

It's the guitar more than the strings that generate volume, but if I had to choose a set for a volume advantage it would be these. They're also pretty dang tough.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-strings
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-29-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

You probably already have fairly high action since you play hard banging out chords but if not, raising the action a bit can get you more volume.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:53 PM

Heavier gauge creates more tension and makes the top move a little more so I'd go to heavier gauge strings if your guitar can handle it. I wouldn't use Phosphor/Bronze as they tend to be mellower/rounder sounding. I'd go with 80/20 bronze or even nickel strings for a brighter louder sound.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 06-29-2021, 05:00 PM

Try John Pearse 80/20 or phosphor bronze strings in medium gauge. The 80/20’s are not quite as tension-generating as the phosphors.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-29-2021, 06:34 PM

I agree with Goat Mick that volume is more about the guitar than the strings. (And for many years, outdoor sing-a-longs were my stock in trade. Unamplified.) For me, back then, it was about using a Guild D-25.

That said, D'Addario 80/20s were always pretty loud in my experience.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:02 PM

I thought that the Aluminum Bronze strings were "the" strings to use if loudness is wanted. In medium gauge, not light or even light mediums. I've also heard and read the new D'Addario XS strings are pretty loud.

I do think that 80/20s are louder than PBs but I have that body chemistry that just "kills" an 80/20 after one night of serious playing ... if that long. PBs last generally a good deal longer for me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM

I have a battery powered Roland Microcube for these occasions. Volume is no problem.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2021, 07:40 PM

In addition to the nice options above, you might also consider D'addario nickel bronze. They are uncoated but last and last, and have a cleaner tone than phos bronze.

You can somewhat influence the sound by changing your setup if you don't want to change guitars.

If you want to be heard above alot of people, I would tend toward a guitar/ setup that offers more clarity and upper mids. The setup change will have a relatively small effect, and will depend on the specific geometry of your guitar
Old 06-30-2021, 01:00 AM

Lightbulb

Elixir Nanoweb. They're loud compared to anything else I've tried.

Peace!
Old 06-30-2021, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Well you are asking a lot!

In a bluegrass string band, the instruments that cut through are the fiddle, banjo and mandolin. The dreadnought really just fills the sound out behind. Some bands will run two guitars to give them more presence in the mix. Despite what we at AGF like to think, the dreadnought guitar is not a loud acoustic instrument in the "loudness" list (trumpet? bagpipes? etc.) and it doesn't have the ability to project bass like an....upright bass!

I think that the best thing to go for is going to be clarity if you want the sound to carry better. And I would agree that trying 80/20 medium gauge strings (uncoated) would be a good experiment. You may get both more bottom end and more top (scoup) that may be better for singing. Taking out the "fizz" and middle a little may make your guitar stand out more with heavy strumming on 80/20 strings compared to PB strings. It is a cheap experiment.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 06-30-2021 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:55 AM

When the first Martin dreads were making an appearance they were advertised as 'bass guitars'. Bass frequencies, as we know, are nowhere near as directional as trebles, and although they may be produced at the same volume level as trebles it's the latter which we perceive as being 'louder'.
As has been said it isn't the strings, it's the guitar.

Last edited by AndrewG; 06-30-2021 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:34 AM

Whoa, I humbly suggest we take a step back here. ANY string will only get you approximately .03472 more db, especially since you're already using mediums. Barely pereceptible.

The answer is not strings. You need a battery powered amp. And a pickup of course.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:49 AM

+1 to the D’Addario nickle bronze. They are loud and will stay that way a long time, even if you sweat and spill beer on them.

But also agree with others that stings will only do so much…
Old 06-30-2021, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the people who have said to use a small battery-powered amp. Back to strings: I've found that the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze are the loudest strings I have tried, when they are new. I don't even like the tone they produce until they have settled down. After a time, they produce a very good tone for my ears but they will be loud, even brash, for a time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings