The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-31-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD- Bourgeois 00 Coupe (12 fret) - White Spruce/Koa

Hi all - this is my first post in the Classifieds!

Offering up, for sale or trade, a wonderful Bourgeois 00 12 fret "Coupe" with an incredible combination of white spruce and straight grain koa back and sides (which is drop dead gorgeous). Would like to deal locally as much as possible (Northern California, willing to drive a fair bit though).

Some fun insights on this one that I got from James at Bourgeois:

I asked about White Spruce, as I hadn't heard much about it, nor could I find much info. James got back to me with this response:

"White Spruce is really fantastic stuff with the delicacy of European Spruces and much of the headroom of Adirondack. The top on your guitar is genetically the same species as the various Silver Spruces of Europe and particularly the Alps. White Spruce shares this same genetic makeup, but has been grown domestically in the High Sierra range. The Sierra grown “Silvers" are often stiffer soundboards and can accommodate higher intensity playing compared to their articulate and subtly nuanced brothers and sisters grown in the Alps. When used in a Bourgeois guitar, Dana favors White Spruce for the sheer versatility it imparts on a guitar, especially one with a smaller body.
He can retain the sweetness and intimacy of the European varieties for soft playing, while retaining the wide dynamic range and the louder breakup of the stiffest tops. "

He also specifically remembered the straight grain koa used on this one, and made this comment: "Your guitar is one of a small, special group of Koa/ White Spruce 00’s. There are less than 5 of them, perhaps even as few as 3. That specific Koa, while less figured, has some of the best Koa tone we have heard in a while." Pretty exciting to hear that coming direct from Bourgeois.
You can tell they were excited because they posted this video last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6a0F04aOg

Anyway, the previous owner was the first owner, and a collector. It's very very clean, not a scratch to be found, no dings of any sort. No fret wear. When the first owner purchased it, he had the pickguard professionally removed to give it a more classic look, and I couldn't even tell there was one there before - they did great job. I personally also love the look with the logo being on the back of the headstock - it just feels right with this one.

Overall, it is incredibly sweet, a joy to play - I've found it to be beautifully sensitive to the touch, and surprising loud and resonant for a small body, with lots of headroom as well. I am just GASing hard right now for a Martin Custom Shop 0000-18... this would be my preferred trade, but open to offers.

Putting it at SOLD. Comes with original case of course - very nice one.

Specs below:

Model: 00 - 12 Fret Coupe

Serial: 8536

Year: 2019

Top: White Spruce

Back & Sides: Koa (Straight Grain)

Scale Length: Short

Rosette: Black/White Vintage

Backstrip: Zipper

Endpiece Inlay: Ivoroid

Body Binding: Ivoroid

Purfling: Vintage Herringbone with Black

Head Shape: Mahogany Square Headstock

Head Veneer: Ziricote

Head Inlay: No Logo on Headstock Overlay, Decal on Back

Head Binding: None

Fretboard Wood: Short Scale 12 Fret Ebony

Fretboard Inlay: None

Fretboard Binding: Black

Nut Width: 1 3/4"

Heel Cap: Ivoroid

Tuners: Waverly Nickel/Oval

Bridge: 2 5/16" Ebony Traditional

Pins: Bone with Black Dots

Pickguard: Coupe Pickguard* - Removed

Pickup: None

Label: Standard

Glue: Standard

Neck Finish: Satin

Headstock Finish: Gloss

Body Finish: High Gloss

Top Color: Natural

Cutaway: No

Options: Aged Tone Torrefied Bracing

Case: Hardshell

I'll have pictures of it that I take myself soon, but these are from the shop/bourgeois - and like I said, it is pretty darn minty:

Last edited by djlsandy; 04-11-2021 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 03-31-2021, 01:02 PM
Guest31923

Wow great guitar! Looks like a great deal.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

If you think you would ship to Seattle, let me know. Cheers!

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 04-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrisky View Post
Wow great guitar! Looks like a great deal.
Cheers for the comment - it is fantastic!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPicker View Post
If you think you would ship to Seattle, let me know. Cheers!
Thanks for the interest! Still looking at local Trade or Sale at the moment. Will update the post if decide to ship!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
bourgeois, bourgeois 00, koa, white spruce