The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Default CF guitar for playing lead and all around...

I know this is just asking for opinions and everyone has one, but I'd like to hear those that don't mind sharing:

I'm mostly an electric lead guitar player these days. On occasion we do some stripped back sets with just a singer, a couple acoustic guitars, and sometimes a keyboard or piano. While jamming, practice, and playing at home may be acoustic, and I'd like a nice tone for that, most of the time we are playing out we will be amplified, and my parts will be lead lines and some strumming in support where the songs need it. Being able to just plug in direct or needing as little equipment as possible would be preferred, but the reality is I will likely have IRs and other effects on hand as that is my nature...

I want something with a cutaway and the ability to be plugged in, or have that easily added. I like the idea of CF because of the stability in humidity and temperature changes and the ability to leave it out at home. I have a Blackbird Rider steel string that has been incredible. I've had some nice wood acoustics, but was always concerned about taking care of them, keeping them humidified, letting them warm up or cool down slowly in the case, etc.

After all that, I still need a strummer that can accompany a singer on rare occasion, so it needs to fill that all around general acoustic role, too.

Any suggestions of good options or models to avoid, and why?

McPherson Sable is on the list, as are Emerald X20 and X30. Maybe the X10 should be, although I am not sure it fills the general role as well as I want? I'd consider Blackbird based on my great experience with the Rider that I have owned for 12-13 years or more. Rainsong, especially the fairly new Vintage WS with Anthem is on the list, too. It would help if I could play any of these, but in my area of the country really nice stuff is few and far between, and with younger children traveling to go play some is difficult.

If anyone here thinks I am looking the wrong way looking at CF guitars, care to make any suggestions on a more traditional wood option? Thanks for your time.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Guest 928

The X7, 10, or 20 could accommodate your needs and offer a nice stable of choices regarding size and electronics.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Any of the Emerald guitars with Level 2 or Level 3 pickup options should do nicely. Level 2 is a individual saddle pickups and the Krivo magnetic p/u. Level 3 adds MIDI capability through a separate 13-pin jack. The X10 is specifically designed to appeal to electric guitar players, but has a nice acoustic tone too.

Most of my CF guitars (and my last few wooden guitars) were bought without pickups because I do not gig anymore. The Rainsong WS-1000 from 2001 has the Fishman on-board blender barn door system, and has given good service on stage over the years. A mix of 70/30 mic / UST sounds very nice on quieter stages. 100% UST works great in loud rock & roll band settings, without feedback. My X20 came with the Anthem pickup system, and my X30 came with the VTC system. Both have been plugged in a few times to prove pickup function, but I rarely amplify any more.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

The Emerald X10 with Level 2 pickups is my go-to when I need a guitar that does acoustic and electric. I think it has a great acoustic tone unplugged, nicely balanced. Plug it in, and things get interesting... depending on how complicated you want to get, you can run a TRS Y-cable out and run to an acoustic amp and an electric amp. The neck is thinner than my other Emeralds, and with the 1 11/16" nut width, has more of an electric feel... for an acoustic. With the right amp or pedals, you can get a great variety of electric tones. The unplugged volume of my X10 seems (to me) to be a bit less than my X7, likely due to the individual saddles and the Krivo humbucking pickup on the top.

That said, it isn't a Strat or a Les Paul. But, I have never been able to get any kind of acoustic tone out of either of those.

I like carbon fiber acoustics. No fuss with environmental changes, great tone, and the Emeralds have ergonomics like I've never seen in another acoustic guitar.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I use a Mcpherson Sable with a Trance Amulet M pickup in it as a lead instrument playing in a 6 piece band.
The Sables neck is quite fast and easy to play, getting up the neck is no issue.
It's a stable platform so you won't have to worry about feedback, Mcpherson include a sound hole cover with their instruments and I find I rarely use it.
It all really depends on the electronics you use.
I did not like the standard pickup that came with the instrument, I think it was a Baggs . I couldn't get a decent tone with it. The Trance works for me in my wood gig instrument so I tried the same and have been very happy.
Only negative with the Sable as a gig instrument is it's heavier, noticeably after a 3 hour gig. If you're used to hanging a Les Paul off your neck the Sable will be lighter. It's not in that weight range just substantial for an acoustic guitar.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:30 AM

My X30, besides being one of the best sounding guitars I’ve ever played, period, is a great lead instrument. Mine has the K&K mini pickup system running through my Baggs ParaAcoustic DI.

If I ever add to my collection it would be the X10 Level 3. That one is something special I think and I’d love to be able to check one out in person.

That said, under no circumstance would I part with the X30. No guitar in my 40+ years of playing has surprised or pleased me more.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
blackbird, emerald, mcpherson, rainsong