The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Smile Washburn WD10SCE vs Yamaha FGX700SC

Hi, I am going to be purchasing an Acoustic-Electric guitar for around the $300 - $350 dollar range. I have been searching and these guitars are the two I have narrowed it down to. Which guitar would be the better choice and do you have any other recommendations that would be better for this price range?

Thanks everyone.

Washburn WD10SCE
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-WAS-WD10SCE-LIST

Yamaha FGX700SC
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-FGX700SC-LIST
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I've played both and they are both nice guitars, the Washburn had a little better setup on it and was fun to play. As far as other recommendations...you may be able to find something used that's a step up if you are willing to go that route. Yamaha, Eastman, Breedlove, Taylor Big Baby come to mind. My main recommendation is to spend the extra $50. and get a good setup on what ever you end up with. It makes a huge difference. Good Luck
Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 AM

Default howdy

Well I can say they are both about equal and both decent starter guitars and as mentioned you can look at the used market to find others.ship
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the responses!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Washburns are awesome with a good setup...
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM

I owned a Yamaha and a Washburn at the same time. I got rid of the Yamaha and kept the Washburn. To me the Washburn sounded fuller. I also thought the wood trim and overall build quality/appearance of the Washburn looked and felt like a more expensive guitar. I found that the Washburn neck was a tad nicer.This is all my own personal opinion, but it would be an easy choice and I would go with Washburn 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I owned a Yamaha and a Washburn at the same time. I got rid of the Yamaha and kept the Washburn. To me the Washburn sounded fuller. I also thought the wood trim and overall build quality/appearance of the Washburn looked and felt like a more expensive guitar. I found that the Washburn neck was a tad nicer.
I own both as well, and agree with Wasper's assessment. THe Washburn seems to have a bit more detail when it comes to the finish. I also prefer the sound of the Washburn, but I will say both are very nice, very playable guitars. Of course if you have a chance, you may want to play and listen to both.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 PM

I had the wd10 SCE12 string. Perfect set up right off the rack. Great fit and finish and the sound was pretty good. I could play my butt off on this thing. I tuned it down a little and it was even better. I would take it over the Yamaha all day long.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 AM

Thanks again everyone!

I have one more question!

Would the Taylor 114CE compare to these guitars if I had the chance of getting one? I found one at a decent price but I am confused if it would be a better guitar than the Washburn?

Here is the Taylor 114CE

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...114CE2012-LIST

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, electric, washburn, yamaha