The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Should a Beginner have an Acoustic and an Electric guitar?

Hey guys. So I'm not really a beginner. I got a Taylor 114 for my birthday about 4 months ago and I have become quite comfortable on it. I am able to play open chords and barre chords very smoothly to basically any song, and I'm beginning to practice finger picking now. I have been thinking about picking up an electric to just blow off some steam and work on some soloing and stuff. Would it be silly for a beginner guitar player to have a pretty decent acoustic guitar and a decent electric. After all, I just started playing 5 months ago. Do I need both? I'm I about to make an impulse buy?
Thanks

- Scott
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Electrics are awesome. Dont make an impulese buy though, do some research first.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Guest316

You don't need both, but why not? I've played nothing but acoustic (for the most part) for 42 years, so the occasional opportunity that presents itself to play an electric leaves me confused and lost lol - -
Quote:
"It has six strings, and a set of tuners - but what are the knobs for and why does it buzz so much when I strum it hard?"
Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM

If you gain enjoyment from doing so, can afford to do so, and are able to prioritize it in life appropriately then why not?! Obviously, I have no idea what your circumstances are, but the way I see it the money could be spent in much worse ways and the time could be wasted on much worse things (video games, bar hoping, movies, drugs, etc.)YMMV

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM

It makes sense to me. I have switched back and forth over time. I started on my parents' guitars (a steel string acoustic and a classical). My first guitar that was truly mine was an electric that I still have (paid $150 for it and a practice amp). Since then I've purchased only acoustics, but have often toyed with getting an electric that would be a better fit to my style.

I find it is sometimes a nice break to play my electric, and I do find synergies between the skillsets for acoustic and electric.

I'd just say find something you like at a reasonable price that fits what you want to play, and go for it if you can afford to do so.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 PM

Why ask the question ? Do whatever you feel like...the choice is up to you.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM

I'll say it. I think for a beginner an acoustic is enough for now. Once you get some experience, then expand to electric. But for the time being, stay focused on learning the basics on acoustic.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 PM

My son is now 17. He has a classical, steel string, and got an electric last Christmas.

He does have fun messing around with the amp effects in Garage Band on his electric. He came to me the other day and commented on how electric guitar players are "cheating" with effects, because they can play single notes or power chords and get a lot of sound; but aren't really doing anything special (playing wise). He thinks you have to work harder with acoustic, and can't "hide" behind the effects.

I smiled, and told him that is true with a lot of songs he listens to. Then I played some old ZZ Top and asked him if he thought Billy Gibbons was "cheating" too...

If you want to play electric, do it. Noodling with effects is fun, but it's not really teaching you anything tone-wise. It can make you sound like a rock star. The acoustic will do much more to develop your fretting hand strength, and understanding of how to get tone from your fingers instead of a box. Bringing that idea over to electric is important... that the tone is in your fingers.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 PM

As a electric guitar player theres distortion (dad plays and has marshalls tweeds voxs sg les paul all of it more or less) but then theres this guy haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhWSGbhxAo
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Do it!.........
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 AM

Sure, why not? If you have been playing a lot and making progress and enjoying, I'd say get an electric too, and see what you like.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 AM

You don't need both - where exactly does need come into play?

Get what you can afford, and rock on, brotherman!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM

I'm wondering if adding a pickup to your 114 might be a viable option for additional versatility. That's the beauty of an acoustic/electric; the best of both worlds. It's really like two guitars in one.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 AM

If that's what you want and you can afford it, go for it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
Hey guys. So I'm not really a beginner. I got a Taylor 114 for my birthday about 4 months ago and I have become quite comfortable on it.
Congrats! The Taylor 114 is one of my favorite guitars in their line. I really dig the tone I get from them whenever I have the chance to play one.

Quote:
I am able to play open chords and barre chords very smoothly to basically any song, and I'm beginning to practice finger picking now.
Hmmm... Sounds like this whole "guitar playin' thing" is for you, and you're having fun with it, learning new things, etc...

Quote:
I have been thinking about picking up an electric to just blow off some steam and work on some soloing and stuff.
You know, you CAN solo and blow off a whole lot of steam on the guitar you already have. It just won't sound a whole lot like Jimi Hendrix when you do. But a rippin', lightning-fast lead or solo piece can sound pretty stunning on an acoustic guitar, too. So I don't think you need an electric guitar to work on soloing and stuff. You can do some pretty hot picking on an acoustic guitar. Flashy leads and solos aren't just for electric players.

Quote:
Would it be silly for a beginner guitar player to have a pretty decent acoustic guitar and a decent electric.
I don't think so. At least, I don't think it is any more silly than a beginning banjo player (me, back in the day) learning guitar at the same time. Or a beginning acoustic guitar player (me, back in the day) lusting after a 12 string as soon as I had a six-string....

Quote:
After all, I just started playing 5 months ago. Do I need both? I'm I about to make an impulse buy?
"Time in grade" really isn't relevant. We're all learners on guitar if we want to be. No matter how much you know, there is always more to learn. As for whether or not you're about to make an impulse buy, you're probably in a better position to answer that than anyone on this forum is.

If you want one and can afford one, go for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, electric, guitar, strings, taylor