The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-28-2022, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Mcpherson Touring vs Journey OF660 vs Rainsong CH-OM1000

I know these are vastly different in price but I think I've narrowed it down to these three as far my first carbon fiber purchase.

Looking for a smallish easy to travel with carbon.

Anyone have any direct sound comparison first hand experience with these??

Should I pay the extra and get either of the USA made options or would I be happy with the Chinese Journey?

Currently own :

Waterloo WL-K
Iris AB
Martin size 1 clone luthier built
Martin 000-15m
Old 04-28-2022, 05:54 AM

Curious as to why you are looking at the smaller McPherson but a OM in the Rainsong line instead of a parlor? I have the Rainsong OM and a Sable(similar size), they are vastly different instruments. I have played a OF660 and was favorably impressed but in my case I had more room for a standard guitar bag than the backpack when I travel.
All are great instruments so I would think your playing style would really factor in.
Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for reading Flyer, appreciate the input. I will consider the Mcphearson Sable for sure. The rain song CHOM is a 12 fretter, so it does save me an inch or two in size. Size is not the most important thing...i would certainly say Sound is. From what I hear on YouTube the journey certainly sounds good. And has a 24.5 inch scale, whereas the MacPherson touring is, I think 22.75.

To get full size scale and portability is a tough combo and the Journey is to my knowledge the only carbon fiber that does these two things well.

Fretting Flyer can you explain your comment that your Rainsong and Mcpherson are vastly different instruments? Which do you prefer?
Old 04-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLatchey View Post
The rain song CHOM is a 12 fretter, so it does save me an inch or two in size.
Rainsong builds all of their guitars with either a 12-fret (24.9") or 14 fret (25.4) neck at the same price.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-28-2022, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

The Sable sounds great but is pretty heavy if that is a concern for you. The Touring sounds great too, but in a much smaller/lighter package. You should try them both if possible.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Considering the level of crime these days, it might be a good idea to travel with the heftier Sable so if you get mugged or car jacked, you can club the perpetrator into submission.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-29-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLatchey View Post

Fretting Flyer can you explain your comment that your Rainsong and Mcpherson are vastly different instruments? Which do you prefer?
Sure, but I have never been great with tone descriptions, so lets start with the guitar itself. The Rainsong is extremely light and that helps it be great for travel. It is very responsive for my bare flesh finger style playing that is 85% of what I do. I found an OM with the N1 neck, which is not as “hefty” as the NS and N2 necks mostly out there now, but you can order any of them. The fretboard radius is I think 20”, in any event a much flatter fretboard and the edges are sharp if you tend to thumb over the top a lot, but not enough to make it a dealbreaker.
The Sable is heavy, and has a very nice neck for easy play, but comes with medium strings and seems to like them better. It is a somewhat quiet guitar when finger picked, but gets somewhat louder when using a plectrum.
Tone- this is tough, and like 2 wood guitars they each have a place. I would say the McPherson is maybe more balanced, but I find I approach every instrument differently to achieve the balance I am looking for. The McPherson is quieter for the same energy from the fingers, but gives a warmer tone. Not to say they sound like these woods, but the difference is like a spruce topped guitar to mahogany, you can really notice it and neither is bad.
My preference- depends how I am traveling. I fly for a living and find the McPherson a bit heavy to bring all the time but I really enjoy playing it. It does all our RV trips for sure. For flying it comes down to the Rainsong or the Blackbird Lucky 13 that is a nice guitar in a smaller form(with yet its own distinctive sound).
Tough to find these in stores, but play any you can. I know people here on the forum are often willing to meet up and let you try a guitar. Best of luck, and Tony has a point there!
Old 04-29-2022, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

No experience with the McPherson guitars but I've owned 3 OF660's and 3 RainSong OM's. The RainSong's are hands down the better sounding tonally of the two models. The OF660 is the best guitar for travel if you need the smallest CF. The backpack is perfect for flying. If I was flying a ton I'd go with the OF660. If I was mostly traveling by any other means and only flying a little bit, I'd go with the RainSong.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:31 AM

What type of travel are you planning to do with the guitar. If it is extensive flying then the Journey OF 660 wins by a mile. I have one and it really is convenient to just throw it in the overhead bin. The bag that is comes with is of excellent design and build, this is more important then most people think. The tone is standard quality at best, a bit on the quiet side, especially if you finger pick with flesh.

If you are not traveling by plane a lot and want better tone go with the others.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
No experience with the McPherson guitars but I've owned 3 OF660's and 3 RainSong OM's. The RainSong's are hands down the better sounding tonally of the two models. The OF660 is the best guitar for travel if you need the smallest CF. The backpack is perfect for flying. If I was flying a ton I'd go with the OF660. If I was mostly traveling by any other means and only flying a little bit, I'd go with the RainSong.
It appears we were typing at the same time with the same advice
Old 04-29-2022, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
It appears we were typing at the same time with the same advice
Lol, great minds think alike!
Old 04-29-2022, 07:27 AM

Default Travel guitars

I was on a mission to acquire a Journey several years ago. Dealer network is limited for both Journey and McPherson. I went to the Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield MO who is a dealer for both. The Journey is a really ingenious guitar for what it does. I Found the neck too wide and the sound really dull/thin, BUT it is practical for a limited use guitar. I then played the McPherson Touring and it was like night and day difference in playability, sound and quality. I still love it, stays in tune forever, seamless transition when switching from my Taylor 814ce to the Touring.
I recently bought a Traveler Pro-Series Mod X for when I have to stay in a hotel as opposed to a more secure residence. It is an amazing design for its physical size and feel.
I have never had the chance to play a Rainsong.

I once again will say I love my McPherson Touring other than my fear/paranoia of a hotel employee feeling they need it more than me!

Just my take
Old 04-29-2022, 07:32 AM

I just bought a Journey OF660 (used) for flying. It plays nice, assembles in minutes and is very functional. The back pack is great for flying, there is a space for my ipad and other stuff. It gives me something to keep my chops up when, otherwise, I'd not be able to. That being said, it's not a guitar I'd even think about picking up at home. As mentioned above, if you don't need something specifically to fit in an overhead bin on a plane, both of the other ones you mentioned would be much better choices IMHO. Like most things in life, there are trade off's and you have to decide which means more - portability or tone.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all that have chimed in!!

I took a plunge and purchased a Rainsong CH-OM 1000NS

snagged it off Reverb for what I believe to be a fair price!

Can't wait to try it!!
Old 04-29-2022, 06:16 PM

Congrats on picking up a great guitar. I hope it suits your needs and playing style. Let us know how you like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber