The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2022, 09:38 AM

I've sworn off Ford, GM and Chrysler because every one I've owned has been plagued either by electrical problems, transmission problems, rusting out or some other type of premature obsolescence. OTOH it's good to see that they're updating the "bro tractor" to something that doesn't belong in the mid 20th century. Now if only they'd drop them down in height about a foot and put a governor on the things so that they can't be driven aggressively - but from my prior experience I'm going to assume that all the bells and whistles will take care of that.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:54 AM

This interests me and I'm keeping an eye on the progress. I've owned a number of RAMs over the years (currently a 2017) and for what I use the truck for these days, I could easily switch to an EV.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-27-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
At the unveiling of the Lightning, the Ford CEO announced that Ford will be building another EV pickup soon;

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-annou...uck-1848844166

Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

That means there’s already another EV Ford truck in the works.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

I'm a retired Union Carpenter and I drove 4 Rangers over a 20 year period followed by 2 Nissan Frontiers and I'd love a Ranger EV.

My next vehicle will definitely be an EV. I drove the Mustang Mach e and loved it but it's just not right for me. I don't want an F-150. It's gotten way too big and it's become the new yuppy-mobile.

And just like with the 3 Bears, a Ranger EV will be ''just right''!
My guess on the rumors going on a while now is we'll see something like the small Maverick or Ranger as an EV.

Your comments ring home. Now I'm about 9 years into renting a 3/4 ton class pickup, 2 axle trailer or small truck when needed even though I've had pickups most of my life. There are two matters going on there - nice to not larger vehicle most of the time, and renting gets me a more optimal tool than when I owned pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Rumor has it on one of the Super Duty forums, that a Hybrid Super Duty is in the works. A full-EV heavy-duty truck isn’t feasible for a lot of the work I and others do, but a Hybrid would sure help with $5 a gallon diesel prices.
I follow Ford's fleet stuff via my work and I won't be surprised if they follow the strategy with the Transit where a limited range heavy duty EV in truck format would come out. They published that somewhat low range for the soon to come Transit actually covers what most of their professional customers do in a day so that means a lower cost lighter weight vehicle.

The hybrids in our fleet have been good overall but right now two older Fords with a lot of miles are like having double the high mileage vehicle issues with two types of propulsion. It's my guess but that might be why we'll see fewer hybrids in the future.

Don't forget that fuel cell progress is not dead. That is a likely solution for some fleets.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I've sworn off Ford, GM and Chrysler because every one I've owned has been plagued either by electrical problems, transmission problems, rusting out or some other type of premature obsolescence. OTOH it's good to see that they're updating the "bro tractor" to something that doesn't belong in the mid 20th century. Now if only they'd drop them down in height about a foot and put a governor on the things so that they can't be driven aggressively - but from my prior experience I'm going to assume that all the bells and whistles will take care of that.
I suggest a visit to Detroit with first day at Henry Ford museum and next split between the village followed by the Rouge complex tour. Forgetting how popular pickups have become as personal vehicles, I think you'd find it interesting and insightful.

Just the ICE production at Rouge is impressive and at the plant you'll see how they still make plenty of pure work pickups too. Without electric propulsion the modern F150 and the plant are very impressive.

For that trip we showed our kids were we've (Homo sapiens) have been and are via the museum followed by the plant tour. I grew up in a business that supported an auto plant and have memories of their insides since I was a little kid. Something else impressive in the Rouge plant tour is seeing the diversity along with sincere efforts to make good products.

Whether or not I buy one, I'm still wishing the best for all this innovation going on.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:

The Bro-Tractor made me laugh! Don’t quite know your meaning behind it, but it’s funny. I too agree about the height, but every vehicle can be driven aggressive, so that I disagree with. Diesels are the new hot rods to lots of people because of the huge HP/TQ numbers. I don’t drive mine aggressive because it’s my main source of transportation, but I’ve had fast vehicles the majority of my life and we have enough GOVERNORS in our lives, telling us what we can and can’t do, so we sure don’t need them on our vehicles.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-04-2022, 03:07 AM

Looks good but I don’t buy the first year of anything. Even the best vehicles have problems the first few years of production. After that it seems like they get things ironed out. And that’s a lot of money to throw at something that’ll have 40 recalls the first 2 years.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I have been on a Tesla truck waiting list for a very long time now and I have heard not one thing from them. Who knows if they will even produce the truck. The rad look of the Tesla truck is a bit nuts but if they produce it, I would consider going through with it, as I would like to go electric, makes sense to me. Quiet, I like!

My beef on modern trucks is their size. It is insane how big they are. Compare my 2008 Nissan Titan to a 2022 truck. I, especially, detest the modern height. There just isn't any need for it far as I can tell other than marketing... "bigger is better." I don't want to have to CLIMB into a pickup. Just about every manufacturer is doing this, maybe all of them. I have not looked at a 2022 Titan to see how big they are. You can buy a smaller model (such as Nissan has the Frontier), yes, but I'd prefer just a normal size 1/2 ton like we've had for decades.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I have been on a Tesla truck waiting list for a very long time now and I have heard not one thing from them. Who knows if they will even produce the truck. The rad look of the Tesla truck is a bit nuts but if they produce it, I would consider going through with it, as I would like to go electric, makes sense to me. Quiet, I like!

My beef on modern trucks is their size. It is insane how big they are. Compare my 2008 Nissan Titan to a 2022 truck. I, especially, detest the modern height. There just isn't any need for it far as I can tell other than marketing... "bigger is better." I don't want to have to CLIMB into a pickup. Just about every manufacturer is doing this, maybe all of them. I have not looked at a 2022 Titan to see how big they are. You can buy a smaller model (such as Nissan has the Frontier), yes, but I'd prefer just a normal size 1/2 ton like we've had for decades.
That resonates. Now I'm years into just renting a pickup, small straight truck or heavier duty trailer when needed and really enjoy driving something that handles better. On top of all that, a small straight truck is more capable than even renting a SuperDuty Ford or 3500 type GM. It has me hoping we'll see and EV version of what they call "ute" in some countries.

The other thing that I can't forget is most years these rentals are not much money at all. It makes me want spending any more or a premium to either be for something specialized to haul or the nicest vehicle for most common driving.

Some of this probably strikes the comment from @tnfiddler on how the pickups have become a hobby/entertainment thing. A road west of me that was popular with car hot rod/mod types being naughty now has modded pickup trucks making noise on a Friday night.

It's all quite interesting. Some still have their pickups as tools. Some as hobby or a prep type mentality. I've had enough time in pickups and Kenworths that I'd rather drive a nice car.

The way smaller pickups have grown is a bit off putting too. I've had older smaller pickups as 2nd vehicles when you don't want to drive a Mustang GT in winter.

Your point on marketing rings a bell. The noses of pickups I still use or rent have grown high. My '72 Chevy had plenty of space to add more accessories with the then less square than others design.

My strong guess is we'll see smaller electric ute types if not smaller pickups soon. I'd like that and renting the bigger vehicles when needed. Then I'll have the first world problem of move from vans LOL.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post

They're big because they're meant to look intimidating. It's all part of the modern chauvanism movement. Even Jeeps are being made to look angry.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
They're big because they're meant to look intimidating. It's all part of the modern chauvanism movement. Even Jeeps are being made to look angry.
I was not aware of any sort of chauvinism movement more than the overall behavior.

The Ford pickups have remained attractive to me for keeping more of a traditional look.

To your point, a lot of vehicles seem to have taken styling directions that remind me of animation and sci fi illustrations. For sure some pickups have taken those looks. Maybe some pickups are styled a bit styled like some post-classic Macks but not classic Kenworths or Peterbilts.

It might be a few year waiting game for the next vehicle I really want. I'm also okay with that because of how often I like renting vs decades of having pickups.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:16 AM

Default It's Lightning (F150) day.

Quote:

Chauvinism movement????? Where’d you come up with that??!! I’ve loved big, jacked-up trucks since I was a teenager and I’m 52! Aggressive is the term I’d use versus Angry and there’s nothing wrong with that. Chauvinism Movement! That’s a knee-slapper and cracked me up!

Old 05-05-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Chauvinism movement????? Where’d you come up with that??!! I’ve loved big, jacked-up trucks since I was a teenager and I’m 52! Aggressive is the term I’d use versus Angry and there’s nothing wrong with that. Chauvinism Movement! That’s a knee-slapper and cracked me up!
I must respectfully disagree.

That's the sort of behavior and vehicle that killed our family member in a vehicular accident. There's nothing wrong with a capable pickup but plenty wrong with aggressive behavior making it a lethal weapon.

In my day job pure excellence and a culture of respect are much of how we compete against the giants and in this era. Chauvinistic behavior is a near constant problem in that environment.

There's probably little I can do to change your attitude so I'll leave it at hoping you, your family as well as everyone else in this community doesn't experience the senseless and horrible loss we did.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

That's the sort of behavior and vehicle that killed our family member in a vehicular accident. There's nothing wrong with a capable pickup but plenty wrong with aggressive behavior making it a lethal weapon.

In my day job pure excellence and a culture of respect are much of how we compete against the giants and in this era. Chauvinistic behavior is a near constant problem in that environment.

There's probably little I can do to change your attitude so I'll leave it at hoping you, your family as well as everyone else in this community doesn't experience the senseless and horrible loss we did.

I was talking about the look of the vehicles, not the attitude in which it’s driven. I’m no fan of aggressive driving, in any shape, form or fashion. I’m so sorry for your loss, as well.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the look of the vehicles, not the attitude in which it’s driven. I’m no fan of aggressive driving, in any shape, form or fashion. I’m so sorry for your loss, as well.
Thank you.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic