The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Not sure what to call this

Friends, pretty new to the guitar, and even newer to guitar "issues."
The guitar in quesion is a Webber 00 built in 1998. Today, as I was doing some fingerstyle, I noticed a phenomenon limited to the 9th fret. Seems that when I engage the first (E) string at that level, and slightly pull it back towards the edge of the fretboard, it loses pitch, sounds brittle and actually seems to increase in pitch by 1/2 step (C# to D). It does not happen with any other fret. To comensate, I try to push the string towards the other strings, to avoid the edge of the fret. Annoying for new fingers.
I hope I have described this in some comprehensible way.
Thanks for any insights.
David
Old 04-24-2022, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you might have a high fret (likely #10).

If you have a small straight edge, lay it across the offending area. It should lie flat. But, if there's a high fret it will act as a fulcrum and the straight edge will want to rock back and forth.

If that it the problem, it should be relative inexpensive to have it taken care of.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Sounds like you might have a high fret (likely #10).

If you have a small straight edge, lay it across the offending area. It should lie flat. But, if there's a high fret it will act as a fulcrum and the straight edge will want to rock back and forth.

If that it the problem, it should be relative inexpensive to have it taken care of.
I will try that.
Many thanks.
David
Old 04-24-2022, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

MR. W-R, I pick a long metal straight edge across the span but could not detect what I assume an elevated fret may do. But what you say surely makes sense as the issue is limited to the 9th fet. I will take it to someone who knows what to look for and what to do.
Thanks again for the help.
D
Old 04-24-2022, 06:58 PM

A long straight edge can make it hard to find a single high fret. Try using a credit card as a straight edge -- the long edge for the frets near the nut, the shorter edge when closer to the soundhole. You want the straight edge to just cover 3 frets. If it rocks, the middle fret is high.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowesty View Post
A long straight edge can make it hard to find a single high fret. Try using a credit card as a straight edge -- the long edge for the frets near the nut, the shorter edge when closer to the soundhole. You want the straight edge to just cover 3 frets. If it rocks, the middle fret is high.
Got it.
D
Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 PM

While a high fret is more common (especially on the ends of the fret), a low 9th fret can also cause the isolated buzz. That will escape detection with a long straightedge. While a straightedge that is short enough to contact only three frets is ideal, I have always had good success using a 6" stainless steel ruler. I slide it along the frets, checking for any bumping of the end of the ruler, or any rocking. While doing this check, the neck needs to be straight, or with a minimal amount of relief.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:53 AM

Also consider fret wear on the 9th, caused by all your string bending! 24 years of that should be enough to make that part of the 9th fret lower than the 10th.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:17 AM

My choice for a fret rocker was to remove the ruler from my 6" combination square, this gives me 3 lengths of perfectly flat sides so that I can rock no more than 3 frets on different portions of the fretboard. They are nice and stiff so the don't flex like a credit card or small ruler might. It was like getting a free high quality tool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Irwin-1794468-.../dp/B005XUHI98

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair