The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2022, 09:31 PM

Default Who can build a replacement neck?

Does anyone have a lead on someone that builds custom necks? I have an Anderson Crowdster that needs a new neck because I love the versatility of the guitar but the neck is wide and thin and oddly shaped to me. Its like the worst qualities of an acoustic and electric neck mixed and I’d like to have a simple “acoustic style” neck like what is on my martin made. Its a bolt on design not unlike a fender electric but with a heel that bolts into the neck pocket that is much longer than a fender. I don’t think it would be difficult to duplicate for someone with the proper tools and talents.

I can’t find anyone that does that kind of work though, its either they only make fender neck replacements in an assembly line fashion with custom options available, or they make complete custom guitars - I haven’t found anyone that will make me just a neck and knows what they are doing. I know its simple, yet requires expertise on the part of choosing the wood and the process to make a stable neck. Any leads would be appreciated- I realize this won’t be cheap but am prepared for that if I find the appropriate person to do the job. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:24 AM

From what you describe, it doesn't seem too difficult. Sounds like something similar to a bolt on Les Paul neck, like on an Epiphone.

The builder can't help you? I'd take a try but I'm in Canada and you should be able to fibd someone closer. Look for a luthier who builds both acoustic and electrics.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:25 AM

Yeah seems like any guitar maker ought to be able to do this for you. Especially if it's a bolt on that's even easier.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:59 AM

Yeah I think any guitar maker could, but I can’t find one that would or wants to. Everyone I have reached out to seem to be more interested in making complete guitars. That’s why I was hoping for some specific names.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:01 AM

Reach out to Andy at Birkonium.

https://birkonium.com/

CNC necks, fretboards, etc.

Some assembly may be required, though.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Ready-Made neck?

Both LMI and Stew-Mac have various styles of necks ready to fit to your guitar. They are real mahogany, too.

No affiliation with either company.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair