The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-27-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieMikie View Post
…Maybe the solution is to only choose songs that have a full measure of empty space between chords? ��

Anyway...maybe what I'm experiencing is normal, but I sure do feel like a 5 year old at times.
Hi Ozzie…etc
Here's a video I made for beginners a few years back on how to learn to switch chords on time. Very close to what you were suggesting…except it only involves 2 chords back and forth till you learn both without thinking about them so hard.

If the video changes too many chords, just play two chords a dozen times back and forth. The play them again - or if you are bored, play two different ones, and circle back later. There's no magic, but there is method and thought in this process.

The two chord progressions are listed in the SHOW MORE below the video if you go to YouTube to watch. Best if you watch on YouTube so you can look at the SHOW MORE

Adjust tempo as needed. Slower while learning and quicker as you grow.

Hope this helps…and if it helps, don't tell your Instructor about it. It can be our little secret.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-27-2022, 11:04 AM

Thank you...that's actually VERY helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ozzie…etc
Here's a video I made for beginners a few years back on how to learn to switch chords on time. Very close to what you were suggesting…except it only involves 2 chords back and forth till you learn both without thinking about them so hard.

If the video changes too many chords, just play two chords a dozen times back and forth. The play them again - or if you are bored, play two different ones, and circle back later. There's no magic, but there is method and thought in this process.

The two chord progressions are listed in the SHOW MORE below the video if you go to YouTube to watch. Best if you watch on YouTube so you can look at the SHOW MORE

Hope this helps…and if it helps, don't tell your Instructor about it. It can be our little secret.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ozzie…etc

I also have a Alexa Flex device with the optional clock. With a simple command I can set a timer for example 2 minutes and practice the chord switching. At the end of the timer, I can set it again for another timed practice routine.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 01-27-2022, 06:50 PM

Also 67 and coming up on 2 years. You are going to hit a lot of walls between 3 weeks and 2 years and I'm just now considering myself an advanced beginner. You are on a very, very long road. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I am in the 13 month doldrums myself. Still having fun, but somewhat stuck practicing a few songs and a lot of technique. I need and enjoy it so no rush, but soon I will have to put on my thinking cap.

I am dealing with this moment of relative frustration by buying a new guitar. [emoji41]
Old 01-27-2022, 07:59 PM

I am 63 and been playing for 2 years. I play mandolin and guitar. I find the hard part is the right hand. Strumming and rhythm makes the song and I struggle with it.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

It takes about 3-4 weeks just to get calluses on your fingertips, assuming you play 15-20 minutes per day, every day.

It is hard to learn to change chords, especially in the beginning. It helps to look for places on the fretboard where you can anchor one or two fingers and then learn to move the other fingers to form the next chord. Some chord changes, such as from C to G, for example, don't have any anchor points so learning to make those changes requires a great deal of practice.

The secret is patience and tenacity, both driven by desire. You have to keep at it day after day and then know that your brain will work on it at night when you are sleeping. After a while, things that seemed impossible only a week ago start to become attainable. It really can happen for most people if they stay with it day after day.

When I am learning something new these days after 58 years of serious playing, I tell myself the same thing. Keep working at it every day and let your brain do the work of making sense of things while I sleep. And after a few days or a week, I can do what I could not do just a short while ago.

You have to have believe you can do it and then put in the time and effort. You will get there when you do.

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 04:13 PM

Smile

Just have to share a quick story. My teacher/drinking buddy had invited another friend over for one of our sessions. This guy is a really good lead player. They got to talking about how they would like to be better players. I chimed it I was very happy with where I was at the time, and the worst of the three players. They decided we would start a band called "The Low Expectations"

I am playing better than I ever thought possible and having fun, even though in the large scheme of things I suck.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I am playing better than I ever thought possible and having fun, even though in the large scheme of things I suck.
That's exactly where I am 45 years after I started playing. And I've been here since I was a few months into it. I mean, I'm better now than I was a few months in, but I'd still define it as "better than I ever thought possible and having a blast, but still sucking given the universe of guitar players I've been exposed to"... I expect to keep getting very slowly better but expect I'll always describe myself thusly.

-Ray
Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 PM

Nope, your fine..
Try watching TV or sitting on the Porch... I just change the chords randomly.... back and forth... over and over.. (This is for Multi-Tasking..Watching TV-Changing chords-Strumming guitar playing is multi-tasking,,,Wait till you sing too LOL)
1-4-5 changes would be great, like A-D-E or G-F-C etc.,
Guitar playing is about muscle memory.
And honestly...if you are right-handed the magic comes from the right hand.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:22 AM

I started about 7 years ago at 53. I remember my first decent chord change about 6 weeks in early one morning at 530 am before work. I guess my hands were fresh for the day and not fatigued as I practiced a lot and took lessons. It was so satisfying! I was making progress!

What I learned is it takes time to develop muscle memory. Heck I still have trouble swapping to a C chord!

Good luck!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 02-02-2022, 11:26 AM

I'm still pushing ahead. I can sense some of the chord changes are coming faster now (though far from as quick as they need to be in order to play a song full speed).

Still struggling with any kind of F chord, though. I've found I can bar the strings down around the 5th fret, but doing so on the first fret isn't happening yet. And on the first fret, I'm not even able to play the "baby" F chord, where only the B and high E strings are barred. I can barr the B and E strings and get those two notes to ring out, but it disappears when I get the other fingers involved. I'm hoping my instructor can see what's going on and offer advice.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:34 PM

In the last year I'm finally able to do an open Dm instead of a Bar chord Dm
In my training I was taught the basic open cowboy chords and than I was taught bar chords and that it what I used for years with the cowboy chords throw in for variety.
So because I capo a lot now I use open chords(cowboy chords)..with some bar chords...
open Dm was tougher on me...lol
Old 02-05-2022, 06:51 PM

Keep it going. I struggled just like you. The break comes when in your mind you can see the chord shape your hand has to make. It takes awhile. The funny part comes when you got the strumming down and chord changes and you try to sing! Your strumming goes from smooth to a herky jerky motion but it’ll come along too. It’s like patting your head and rubbing your tummy. I’m 61 and started 3 years ago. I love the challenge and there’s an endless amount of things to learn.
Brian
Old 02-06-2022, 02:04 AM

Man, I love seeing all the fellow old dogs -er- distinguished gentlemen on here. I thought I was way too old of a dog to be starting this now at 53 but it seems mid 50s is a pretty common time to pick up the guitar. I’m watching my 12 year old learn and man how I wish my fingers moved like his!

Thanks for the inspiration! This is a great journey. Hearing stories of people who started in their 50s and are still at it years later makes me feel like this is possible. I’m hoping I stay as motivated as I am today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write