The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2022, 02:29 AM

Default Where to put the jack on a FS850

I have a Yamaha FS850 (no built-in pickup) in which I'm considering adding a passive magnetic pickup. Do you recommend an end pin plug or a separate whole for a connector like this (mono is enough if passive): https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thu...045991_800.jpg

Thanks!
Per
Old 01-26-2022, 05:28 AM

I would go for the endpin plug

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Hi Per, I agree with Cuki, I think the endpin jack is the cleanest solution. Also, depending on the pickup, the jack will already come with the pickup.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-27-2022, 04:23 AM

Yamaha uses this style jack on all their acoustic-electric guitars:
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Externa...ld_p_6433.html
They are very strap-friendly if that's important to you.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:26 AM

Per - that jack in your link is too short to go through a tail block - it would only work in the thin, unsupported side (or back or top) wood.

I strongly urge everyone to NEVER place a jack in the thin, unsupported side (or back or soundboard) of your guitar. Yes we've all seen it done. Some of us have also seen a chunk of a guitar's side get broken out when a side load gets put on the instrument plug (you step on the cord while walking, get a little rough/impatient when plugging in or unplugging, etc.).

Use the standard switch jack that Cuki showed, the flanged jack Yamahaguy linked, other endpin jacks like this (or a Tapastring Vintage jack if desired if you're replacing a tapered endpin). Always only mount a jack in an acoustic guitar in a thick block, metal plate or something that will prevent the soundboard or side wood from trying to resist the bending moment that happens when you pull on the instrument cable.

Last edited by Mandobart; 01-27-2022 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha uses this style jack on all their acoustic-electric guitars:
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Externa...ld_p_6433.html
They are very strap-friendly if that's important to you.
I realised I actually have one of these laying around, and it looks basically identical to the Yamaha FGX730 I also have.

The endpin in the FS850 is plastic, and I can't pull it out with my fingers... although I haven't really tried that hard. Any advice to get it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Per - that jack in your link is too short to go through a tail block - it would only work in the thin, unsupported side (or back or top) wood.

I strongly urge everyone to NEVER place a jack in the thin, unsupported side (or back or soundboard) of your guitar. Yes we've all seen it done. Some of us have also seen a chunk of a guitar's side get broken out when a side load gets put on the instrument plug (you step on the cord while walking, get a little rough/impatient when plugging in or unplugging, etc.).

Use the standard switch jack that Cuki showed, the flanged jack Yamahaguy linked, other endpin jacks like this (or a Tapastring Vintage jack if desired if you're replacing a tapered endpin). Always only mount a jack in an acoustic guitar in a thick block, metal plate or something that will prevent the soundboard or side wood from trying to resist the bending moment that happens when you pull on the instrument cable.
That's a really good advice, with that jack I would probably have put it in a bad place. I have seen several new guitars having jacks in other places than as an endpin jack, but I guess they are enforced where the jack is put then?!?

The jack on the image I posted above has a 3.5 mm stereo plug. I probably will go for a passive pickup like the Fishman Neo-D single coil, but I would enjoy the option of switching to other pickups with a jack for a small plug, like the Shadow SH141/145, DeArmond Tone Boss (passive, but with jack), LR Baggs M1A. But what I am confused over is if they use 2.5 or 3.5 mm connectors?

Thanks for all help!
/Per
Old 01-27-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
I realised I actually have one of these laying around, and it looks basically identical to the Yamaha FGX730 I also have.

The endpin in the FS850 is plastic, and I can't pull it out with my fingers... although I haven't really tried that hard. Any advice to get it out?

The jack on the image I posted above has a 3.5 mm stereo plug. I probably will go for a passive pickup like the Fishman Neo-D single coil, but I would enjoy the option of switching to other pickups with a jack for a small plug, like the Shadow SH141/145, DeArmond Tone Boss (passive, but with jack), LR Baggs M1A. But what I am confused over is if they use 2.5 or 3.5 mm connectors?

Thanks for all help!
/Per
Hi Per, I've had the Dearmond Tone Boss 2.5mm jack, and have the M1A and M80, both 3.5mm. Obviously the M1 and M80 are interchangeable with 3.5mm plug. It is nice to be able to interchange them.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 01-27-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Per, I've had the Dearmond Tone Boss 2.5mm jack, and have the M1A and M80, both 3.5mm. Obviously the M1 and M80 are interchangeable with 3.5mm plug. It is nice to be able to interchange them.
Hope this helps.
Very helpful!

I actually just pushed the button to order a Shadow SH 141 active single coil pickup, and on the image below at least to me it looks like it's using a 3.5 mm plug. I will probably use the endpin plug and cable I had since before though.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
Very helpful!

I actually just pushed the button to order a Shadow SH 141 active single coil pickup, and on the image below at least to me it looks like it's using a 3.5 mm plug. I will probably use the endpin plug and cable I had since before though.

I've always been curious about the Shadow pickups, one of the few I havent tried. Let us know how you like it

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 01-27-2022, 07:14 PM

Never had to remove a pin from a Yamaha, but I'd get some locking pliers/vicegrips on it and try twist it before applying much pulling pressure. Simultaneously twisting and pulling should work once it twists loose from its current state.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification