The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-15-2022, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneseeker View Post
Hi Andy,
Just wondering how your surgery worked out. I also had Dupuytren's surgery on my left hand also a few years ago. I can still play without difficulty although the physical therapy hurt much more than the surgery. I now have developed Dupuytren's Contracture on my right hand and will need to have that seen to in the upcoming year.

All the best!
Hi,
Thanks so much for your kind interest!

It is now mid March and still no sign of having the surgery. I've chased every department and even the Surgeon (on 31st December) who promised Jan/Feb.Phone calls, emails, paid for meetings - all ignored.

I can no longer close my left hand and I have to force my hand to ease up the fingers enough to play.
Scared of trying to use my dreads or 12 strings.

I'm also having to delay putting in my crops and at no time such as now do we need to grow some food!
The NHS is, in the words of my GP - "broken".

Spent a few hours digging over four beds and couldn't use my hand for three days.

This has been going on since January 2020. I'm now getting to accept that the surgery just isn't going to happen in the UK.

On short scale guitars with lights I can do this after working on it for a couple of hours:

Old 03-15-2022, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

So sorry for your difficulties, Andy. These sure aren't turning out to be "golden" years for us. Kinda rusty, truth be told.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Best of luck Silly

I guess slide is next.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The NHS is, in the words of my GP - "broken". This has been going on since January 2020. I'm now getting to accept that the surgery just isn't going to happen in the UK.
Sorry but I feel obliged to step in here. Your GP says the NHS is “broken”, but we’d be sensible to remember why - the SARS-Cov-2 pandemic. You know, the pandemic that “broke” every healthcare system in the world.

For those of us working on the healthcare frontline, the last 2 years have been without parallel, at least not in my working lifetime. The disruption to day-to-day clinical care has been…well, you don’t really need me to explain that do you?

I am really sorry that your problems have not been sorted out, I really am, but it will be a long time before we recalibrate to anywhere near normal practice. I’m sad about that but it is what it is. We have to prioritise, the cancer backlog being the most obvious. We are working like lunatics, believe me. It’s not fun. At all. Sorry we can’t get to your Dupuytren’s sooner, but we will when we can.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-15-2022, 06:36 PM

Frustrating indeed. On the other hand, so to speak, there is the Zen approach which involves gratitude for what remains. Eventually, that can be as simple as not seeing your picture in the obituaries. I wish the best outcome possible for you Andy and it may well be worth shopping around for an available alternative provider if one can be found at reasonable cost. I know, a longshot, but… you never know what options you might find out there.

Bill Burke
Rutland, Vermont

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 03-16-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Andy, so sorry to hear about this (the delays, and not able to get help/surgery).
And, I hope you are able to find a way soon to get relief.

From across the ocean here in TX and a different healthcare system, over the last 14yrs I've witnessed/experienced and my family has suffered from the changes in our healthcare system. Affordable access is not affordable nor easily obtained. And over here it is not totally related to the last 2yrs. Since I was a young man, I've idealistically believed everyone (especially the young and elderly) deserve access to prompt affordable healthcare---probably because I had access to insurance and care myself. My view in that regard still stands.

Our country has been in a healthcare upheaval for 14 yrs. And what I have experienced is quite the opposite of accessible and affordable. My family has gone from having reasonable costing insurance coverage and care, to paying twice as much for half the coverage, to being completely priced out of even having health insurance at times. We had to chose two out of three---food, shelter, or insurance.

And I do not blame the front line worker at the hospital, but I will NOT defend them either. The last two years have shown me the greed of insurance companies and hospitals that denied care, delayed care or made it impossibly expensive to receive care under the name of a virus/pandemic. My personal cancer treatments have been delayed and more. Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and hospital profits have soared during the last two years....while patient care has dropped, but we continue to pay premiums for services we cannot get access to.

Just my opinion of course.
Again, I share your frustration and pain. You've been on my heart for months regarding your surgery and I will continue to hope you find a prompt solution.
Nate in TX.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Keep up posted, Andy.

Thinking of You,
Scott
Old 03-17-2022, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

How is it going Andy?

I'm having Trigger finger surgery on the index and Dupetrens surgery on the ring finger and pinky on my left hand on April 1. This will be the second surgery for this hand. About five and a half years ago I had Dupretrens chords taken out. That's when I started playing guitar. I started just for PT and I had no idea that I'd still be playing now. It's been a fun 5 years.

I'll post back here after the surgery. Right now the index is a mess. At night, it feels like a broken bone. I can feel and hear when I'm playing that the hand doesn't work right right now. I'm looking forward to getting it fixed.

Had a basal cell removed from my right cheek yesterday. This will be a busy couple of weeks;

stitches in, stitches out, stitches in stitches out!
Old 04-06-2022, 02:17 AM

I hope you get it sorted and it doesn't recur too soon.

I have had it in my left hand for 13 years or so. It's fairly mild, seems pretty stable and I manage to play reasonably so won't be going under the knife any time soon.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 04-07-2022, 02:46 PM

I grew up with the NHS in England and have long considered it to be the country's greatest single achievement of the 20th century. It's been written off as being on its last legs for many years, but I do hope it manages to totter on for a while longer yet!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your continued interest. Suddenly, and in the same week as another procedure, I have a date!

The 20th April for my left hand, and the 23rd for the other procedure which was due last month and had me fasting for three days then waiting for 2-3 hours ..... to be refused.

Now two procedures in the same week!

BTW - I ALSO agree that the NHS is a wonderful social achievement. It has nearly killed me twice and saved my life three times, so, currently, ahead on points. Many have suffered far worse than I.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-07-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Outstanding news, reason to be optimistic for gardening season and beyond, good luck with the procedures.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-08-2022, 09:46 AM

Hope all goes well and a speedy recovery Andy👍
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10 CEQ.
2014 Faith PJE Signature Neptune, London Plane Tree (Prototype).
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

BTW - I ALSO agree that the NHS is a wonderful social achievement. It has nearly killed me twice and saved my life three times, so, currently, ahead on points.
Just imagine you're Palace emerging from the tunnel at Old Trafford, Mr. Moustache. Hope and Courage!
Old 04-10-2022, 05:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'll be holdingx you in my thoughts, Andy. Please do keep us posted on your progress.

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic