The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2022, 11:14 AM

Default Any guitar protector sheets recommended?

So I usually use a pick and I'm quite heavy handed. Is there anything I can put in my guitar to protect it from scratches?
Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 AM

I installed a clear stick on standard looking pick guard on my RainSong.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
I installed a clear stick on standard looking pick guard on my RainSong.
Apart from becoming a bare fingerpicker (I am), that might be your only other option. Unless you think you may want to sell the guitar at some point, I wouldn’t worry about it in which case, just be you and play the heck out of it.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Isn't carbon fiber supposed to be impervious to most physical damage? I would think the most you would have to do is either buff or wipe off any marks if you decide to sell the guitar at some point.

Tony
Old 01-15-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Isn't carbon fiber supposed to be impervious to most physical damage? I would think the most you would have to do is either buff or wipe off any marks if you decide to sell the guitar at some point.

Tony
Ha! Carbon fiber is more resilient to abrasion and such than wood, but carbon fiber is not invulnerable.
The surface is probably clear coat paint, but still that will wear away.
I have used carbon fiber for 25 years in many things, and it is much more vulnerable to certain things, and much more resilient to certain things than other materials.

Crush/impact? Carbon is very weak unless it was designed for it. Flex? Carbon is extremely weak, unless designed for it, and then it has zero fatigue.
Stiffness? Carbon cam be ridiculously stiff, yet flexible, when designed so.
It's a great material, but it is not invulnerable.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
Ha! Carbon fiber is more resilient to abrasion and such than wood, but carbon fiber is not invulnerable.
The surface is probably clear coat paint, but still that will wear away.
I have used carbon fiber for 25 years in many things, and it is much more vulnerable to certain things, and much more resilient to certain things than other materials.

Crush/impact? Carbon is very weak unless it was designed for it. Flex? Carbon is extremely weak, unless designed for it, and then it has zero fatigue.
Stiffness? Carbon cam be ridiculously stiff, yet flexible, when designed so.
It's a great material, but it is not invulnerable.
This being the case, then it seems to me it might be a good idea to develop a picking hand technique in which the picking hand contacts only the strings and not the guitar top if carbon fiber is so vulnerable.

This is certainly possible, as I have seen both flatpickers and fingerpickers do it.

Tony
Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This being the case, then it seems to me it might be a good idea to develop a picking hand technique in which the picking hand contacts only the strings and not the guitar top if carbon fiber is so vulnerable.
Tony
Are you going to talk to Willie? Or will I have to do it? LOL The used Touring I purchased had some light pick marks on it. Nothing terrible. I've used the clear plastic sheet, self sticking pick guards on a Rainsong I had, I thought the nice gloss finish could use a little protection. Cheap protection that don't distract from the guitar.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Are you going to talk to Willie? Or will I have to do it? LOL The used Touring I purchased had some light pick marks on it. Nothing terrible. I've used the clear plastic sheet, self sticking pick guards on a Rainsong I had, I thought the nice gloss finish could use a little protection. Cheap protection that don't distract from the guitar.
It is too late for him. His guitar has a hole in one!

Tony
Old 01-16-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I first put a static pick guard on a Taylor with a lovely tobacco burst finish years ago. Like this...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...caAswwEALw_wcB

It did the job - the guitar still looks like new. I changed my pick attack from my younger years and really don't have an issue with that these days.

Most carbon fiber guitars that have a gloss top have an automotive type finish. Carbon Fiber isn't impervious to damage. If you drag a pick repeatedly across a carbon fiber hood of a race car, it will eventually scratch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber