The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
As most of us know, even expensive guitars are relative bargains. My other hobby is mountain biking. And high end bikes can easily reach 5 figures today. Ride that 10k bike like it is intended to be ridden and it will wear out and the frame itself will possibly break within a few seasons. And they don't hold their value at all.
My 1987 Stumpjumper comp is still doin' fine. I haven't "ridden it like it is intended to be ridden" in 12 years though. I'm too old to fall!

The inflation calculator says it would cost around $1,700 in today's dollars.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Ah, my wife has asked that question whenever I’ve made an instrument purchase …. Not that it matters since she has an expensive sewing/quilting hobby … try pricing Bernina sewing machines (;-)) she understands expensive hobbies …. Although to be fair, the first expensive guitar that I bought was a Gurian in 1972 for $1000 … which got me out of a very expensive hobby at that time which was hang gliding … one of my guitar playing friends at that time asked me how I was able to afford it ….
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Ah, another flier, if only in the past! You and I share an extraordinary experience. Hanggliding was expensive in 1972? My first glider @about the same time was within the financial reach of a highschool student with a newspaper job. My current glider cost 50X what that one did. And that's not including the racing pod harness with its kevlar 'chute, flight computer, helmet. Still cheaper than a nice handmade archtop though. Have fun!

ps. My wife has a Bernina. I'm glad she does. She gets a lot of enjoyment from it.

Last edited by joeld; 06-09-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I typically run a purchase by my wife when I want to buy a guitar. She said the other day, "You know I don't care if you buy a guitar and you don't have to tell me". Ohhh boy. I always feel a bit of guilt when I buy another one since, like many here, I have a lot of guitars but I don't buy very many expensive ones.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:41 AM

There does come a point, though, of diminishing returns.

An Olson is an absolutely beautiful guitar, but I think anyone who spends $20K-$30K on a guitar needs therapy. Honestly, I just don't see any reason to do that other than to be able to say "I have an Olson."

That's great and all, and more power to you if that's your thing. But, personally, I can think of half a dozen guitars and a few nice motorcycles I'd likely opt for, instead...
Old 06-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

First, you work ... to eat.
Second -you work to get transport.
Third -you work to buy a house.
Four - you work to bring up kids
Five - you work to get a pension
Six - you buy guitars!

With the best cash savings earning less that .050% and inflation running at 1.5% (so they say - huh!) it's not worth keeping cash at present.
Wood is a better investment, not as much as gold, but you can't play gold!
Old 06-13-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
An Olson is an absolutely beautiful guitar, but I think anyone who spends $20K-$30K on a guitar needs therapy. Honestly, I just don't see any reason to do that other than to be able to say "I have an Olson."
How about this for another reason? A person happens to have $20K-$30K in disposable income and playing an Olson brings them great pleasure.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
How about this for another reason? A person happens to have $20K-$30K in disposable income and playing an Olson brings them great pleasure.
Yeah, no.

Personally, I believe someone's desire to say "I have an Olson!" outweighs anything else.

An Indian Rosewood/Sitka Olson isn't going to sound three times as good as a Taylor PS. I get the mystique and the aura but, yeah, I don't see it...
Old 06-13-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no.

Personally, I believe someone's desire to say "I have an Olson!" outweighs anything else.

An Indian Rosewood/Sitka Olson isn't going to sound three times as good as a Taylor PS. I get the mystique and the aura but, yeah, I don't see it...
Me, I don't see someone spending that kind of money on a guitar for nothing other than bragging rights. There will always be exceptions.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 PM

It’s nobody’s business but my own (and my wife’s) how much I spend or or my motivations for doing so. Non-guitar people don’t necessarily have an idea of what guitars might cost, so I don’t really care what they think.

Depending on perspective, $300 is expensive, $3,000 is expensive and $30,000 is expensive. If someone can afford it and wants to spend their money on guitars, good for them.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, no.

How many Olsons have you played, Street Glider?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
How many Olsons have you played, Street Glider?
Five. All of them were real nice guitars, too...
Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Me, I don't see someone spending that kind of money on a guitar for nothing other than bragging rights. There will always be exceptions.
I actually know of one person who did, pretty much, exactly that...
Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I actually know of one person who did, pretty much, exactly that...
I don’t know that a sample of one person is enough to apply a generalization to all who would buy them.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
I don’t know that a sample of one person is enough to apply a generalization to all who would buy them.
Meh, maybe, maybe not.

That one generalization is certainly in line with my personal opinion, though.

But, at the end of the day, any type of product can be viewed in the same manner. A Breitling or a Rolex will tell the same time as a Timex. A Benz will get you to the exact same place a Chevy will.

I just find me shaking my head sometimes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops