The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Default I need more room at the nut!

I realize that if, statistically, you want somethere that there's not a lot of demand for, you'll probably end up frustrated. Although I'm only six foot and two hundred pounds, I have the hands and fingers of a much bigger guy. I used to have a late 60's Martin D-35S that had 1-7/8" nut. Now I realize what a bad decision it was to sell it. My Rainsong Dread is a fine guitar and I have plans to change out the nut to change the string spacing and hopefully gain some room between strings. Still, every time I read about a new version or model coming out, I can't but hope that a wider neck would be at least an option. Does anyone else want a bit more room?

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM

My guitar teacher has a six-string Taylor that they made for him with a 12 string-width neck. It plays like a dream. He's got short, wide fingers but he makes it work. It's a lovely guitar. They'd probably make one for you. It's a 1 7/8" neck, I think.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 PM

My Taylor Nylon Series has a 1-7/8 nut which works perfectly for me just like my old Martin did. If my RainSong had one also, I'd be a happy camper. I like everything else about the guitar and love the concept of a carbon fiber guitar. I was hoping Ted would read this and make everything better!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

you probably know this already, but you can order taylors with 1 7/8" nut widths(the 14 fret versions). you need to double check which series that option starts at, so call taylor to find out correct. that might drop it into BTO territory-again, not sure, call the mother ship to find out.

d
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Since this is in the Carbon Fiber section, I would assume the OP would like a CF guitar with a wider neck. I'm quite certain that Emerald could make one using their 12-string neck. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Rainsong might not consider a custom order for a 6-string with a 12-string neck. CA and Blackbird don't offer 12-string guitars at this time, so not sure if either would be able to help.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM

I did call RainSong to see if they could accomodate me and what I wanted using their 12 string neck but they were not interested. I like my current RainSong Dread in all other respects and hoped that with a reasonable up-charge they could make this happen. Since they refused I thought I'd test the waters and see if there were others with the same desire.
Ultimately an Emerald might make sense since they seem to be more elastic in what they'll make.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Jim,

You've apparently had no luck in making that wider nut. It might have given you a smidge more room, but not 1-7/8" worth.

Know what you mean about the wide neck custom Martins - my buddy has an HD-28 from the custom shop set up that way. I had it in my possession for a while trying to sell it for him, but he wanted a bit more than the market currently is tolerating.

Was a GREAT experience though! Like playing on a jet runway and loud to boot!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 AM

Tinman,
I was finishing up some folders for the Blade Show in Atlanta last weekend and had to delay working on the Rainsong's nut. I have a layout that I'm still going to try out on the nut which, like you say, won't buy me a lot of room without causing some other issue. Since I thumb-wrap some chords, occasionally, I'll move the low E towards the edge a little and then make all the spaces between the strings equal at .2747". So, this is effectively spreading out the low springs at the expense of the high strings. Hopefully this will make a marginal improvement.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Hello Jim,

I wrote to Rainsong a while back with the same idea of using the 12 string neck to gain more room at the nut and at the saddle. I received a very polite response that they were not interested.

Should have bought one of the CA dreads when I had the chance. At least I could have one of the two features.

Mark
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM

drop Emerald guitars an email. They can build a guitar with any neck width that you need. Alistair Hay says that 'custom is our standard'. the custom prices for something like that are quite cheap
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM

I've got an emerald on order with a 1 7/8" nut.

Alistair is awesome on the custom front. 12 fret slot head on a x20os, no problem.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 AM

Alistair is a dream maker that simple.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber