The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 01:16 AM

Default Taylor 12 String

Great guitar. I never cared for 12 stings much. Then I picked up this Taylor 150e and instantly bonded. Why?

Try Suite for Judy Blue eyes on a good 12 string....
Try Tom Petty Refugee on it
Try most classic rock with it...

Like a band behind you.

The Taylor stays in tune. Ridiculously so. Things have come a long way since the 60s.

Add one to your quiver and you might not go back to 6 for vocal..stylings..

Couldn't find any reviews of it on here, can someone point me to one?
Old 05-09-2021, 04:38 AM

Taylor 12 String

Davis,

Simply searched on "youtube taylor 150".

The first reply (there are more) was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fdTQLix-Y

Reviewer was quick, casual, and surprisingly thorough. I've seen his reviews before and respect them.

Just for the record, I have two Taylor 12 string guitars, which is my way of saying 2 thumbs way up for them.

Couple of quick notes. I use a G7th Newport 12 string capo with the compensated string pad with them. No tuning necessary when putting one of these on or taking it off. Seems it was designed with Taylor 12s in mind. I've been playing 12 strings since the 60s, and back then even the manufacturers recommended tuning them down a couple of semitones to 'D'. Still tune mine down a bit, to D# now. Mostly because old habits die hard. And it's easier for my old hands to play. Hence the capo mention. And I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-09-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:54 AM

I've played both the 1 Series and 2 Series Taylor 12-strings. They are quite expensive for an instrument with a plywood body, almost as much as all-solid equivalents from several quality first-world makers. They don't have that richness and subtlety you get with good all solid guitars.

But that said, they are astonishingly good for what they are. They have a good, well-balanced sound, they tune easily and stay in tune, and as always with Taylors, are set up to near-perfection.

12-strings are always fussy beasts and it pays to go with a maker with a habit of getting the details right. Taylor do just that.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:00 AM

Not sure about the 100 series but I've played some 500 series and they are awesome.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-09-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I agree that Taylor 12-string guitars are the bomb although having said that, I really couldn't be happier with my newish Rainsong Jumbo 12-string. Davis is right, there are certain songs that need to played with a 12-string. Identify those songs and you'll never look back. I'd add Amanda (Boston), Hotel California (Eagles) and Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds) to what could be a long list of great 12-string guitar songs...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-09-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I agree that Taylor 12-string guitars are the bomb although having said that, I really couldn't be happier with my newish Rainsong 12-string. Davis is right, there are certain songs that need to played with a 12-string. Identify those songs and you'll never look back. I'd add Amanda (Boston), Hotel California (Eagles)and Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds) to what could be a long list of great 12-string guitar songs...

Hey RP, how ya doin'?

Davis,

Allow me to mention to not limit yourself to 'known' 12 string material. Try everything in your repertoire on a 12 string. You never know what sticks. Not only will "Walk Right In" sound great, but also "Walk Don't Run".

Not too long ago, I tuned my 355 12 string to 1 semitone down from DADGAD (C#, started at D#), and that's opened up some new doors for me.

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 05-09-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Hey RP, how ya doin'?

Don
Doing great, Don. Hope the same for you...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Doing great, Don. Hope the same for you...
Still kickin' it.

Good news: Got my Covid shots.

Good news and Bad news: getting older.

Good news: Beats the alternative.

Be well,
Don
Old 05-09-2021, 05:55 AM

Davis, there are lots of Taylor 12 string fans, including the 150e. Try Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive on it. Great 12 string tune.

Are you going to buy it, or try out other 12 strings in anticipation of buying one?
Old 05-09-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Taylor 12 String

Davis,

Simply searched on "youtube taylor 150".

The first reply (there are more) was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fdTQLix-Y

Reviewer was quick, casual, and surprisingly thorough. I've seen his reviews before and respect them.

Just for the record, I have two Taylor 12 string guitars, which is my way of saying 2 thumbs way up for them.

Couple of quick notes. I use a G7th Newport 12 string capo with the compensated string pad with them. No tuning necessary when putting one of these on or taking it off. Seems it was designed with Taylor 12s in mind. I've been playing 12 strings since the 60s, and back then even the manufacturers recommended tuning them down a couple of semitones to 'D'. Still tune mine down a bit, to D# now. Mostly because old habits die hard. And it's easier for my old hands to play. Hence the capo mention. And I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Don
Hi, thanks. I meant reviews on this site. I have seen the youtube ones.

My friend always down tuned them he said, just yesterday. I didn't realize people still did that. He went down to semitones then capoed the 2nd right? I seem to enjoy this as is. But when I tried to do some soloing, well, I almost pulled my hand muscle, so I am using other techniques. He said it was tuned down because that made it easier to stay in toon. The Taylor stays in toon. Or is it just easier to play?

Dru: Hmmm. Well, this one is on sale, and right now, in Canada, there are almost NO 12 strings for sale!!! The COVD factory slowdown thing.....hit 12 strings hard. Only because I know the sales dude here, after others in the chain said 'no can do'....they only had the $400 epiphones and 1 $2500 Larivee available.... So this dude, Jeremy from the North York Long and McQuade, he only works Tuesdays now, kind of a find you a guitar genius, said casually, we have a rental one, for sale. They want $1100ish for it, normally $1350ish.

The way I feel now, I am inclined to buy it. The stores are all locked down, you cannot try anything. Luckily this was in rental....

How are u doing Dru? It seems a long time since I have seen ya.

Last edited by Davis Webb; 05-09-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Hi, thanks. I meant reviews on this site. I have seen the youtube ones.

My friend always down tuned them he said, just yesterday. I didn't realize people still did that. He went down to semitones then capoed the 2nd right? I seem to enjoy this as is. But when I tried to do some soloing, well, I almost pulled my hand muscle, so I am using other techniques. He said it was tuned down because that made it easier to stay in toon. The Taylor stays in toon. Or is it just easier to play?

Dru: Hmmm. Well, this one is on sale, and right now, in Canada, there are almost NO 12 strings for sale!!! The COVD factory slowdown thing.....hit 12 strings hard. Only because I know the sales dude here, after others in the chain said 'no can do'....they only had the $400 epiphones and 1 $2500 Larivee available.... So this dude, Jeremy from the North York Long and McQuade, he only works Tuesdays now, kind of a find you a guitar genius, said casually, we have a rental one, for sale. They want $1100ish for it, normally $1350ish.

The way I feel now, I am inclined to buy it. The stores are all locked down, you cannot try anything. Luckily this was in rental....

How are u doing Dru? It seems a long time since I have seen ya.
Hey Davis, are there any made in Canada Simon & Patrick or Seagull 12 strings available at L&M? I just checked and it looks like the S&P Songsmith 12 string is discontinued? I bought a used one at L&M a few years ago, very nice guitar.

I'm doing well Davis. A little bored at times, lol, but doing well.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:37 AM

Taylor 12 String

Hey Davis,

To search the site, be logged in, go to 'search' on task bar at top near the log in/out part, and enter "Taylor 150".

This will result in some ad links and then some site links in the bottom part of the list.

You might also want to check the For Sale stuff on this site, and also on the 'unofficial taylor guitar forum'

As before, Good Luck and Good Hunting,
to which I will add, be well,
Don
Old 05-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Runaway Tomato

Good thread. I may be looking for a Taylor 12-string some day, and it's good to hear the positive comments on the 150. My whole playing style and attack was learned on a cheep Montgomery Ward (?) 12-string, and sometimes I feel like I want to go back home. On a side note, Taylor 100 series guitars are da bomb, pro level stage worthy guitars, easily dismissed by people that have never used one on stage. I proudly put my 110e next to my 814ce DLX on stage.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 05-09-2021, 10:37 AM

For some reason I did't bond with either of the 150s I tried when they first came out. For not that much more money, I was able to score a used 356 that was in immaculate shape and I bonded with it immediately. It is one of my louder guitars. Great intonation. Easiest 12 string I ever played without buzzes.

I have played some Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars that I liked a lot -- just not those two 12s that I tried.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
For some reason I did't bond with either of the 150s I tried when they first came out. For not that much more money, I was able to score a used 356 that was in immaculate shape and I bonded with it immediately. It is one of my louder guitars. Great intonation. Easiest 12 string I ever played without buzzes.

I have played some Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars that I liked a lot -- just not those two 12s that I tried.
Those used Taylor 355 and 356 are worth it if you can find them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion