The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM

Default Taylor K4 equaliser

Does anyone know if the K4 equaliser was discontinued? Is it still a good pairing for people with the latest Taylor expression system?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by age View Post
Does anyone know if the K4 equaliser was discontinued? Is it still a good pairing for people with the latest Taylor expression system?
I was trying to figure that out as well. I own one and have it for sale but at first, I wasn't sure what to list the price as. I found some dealers online who seem to still stock it but I am not sure if that's just an old listing.

Taylor made it sound as though the K4 would work the best with the original expression system, but it's an incredible preamp that will work with anything. I still think that it was the one positive to come out of the original ES release.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM

I will add my 2 cents worth of "experience" opinion.

If you have the ES version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 (more so with version 1.1, 3 volt, 2 SB transducers and 1.1, 9 volt, 2 SB transducers) the K4 is the way to go to fully realize the full potential and allow effects boxes into your guitar playing. Version 1.2 had a redesigned pre-amp and only 1 SB transducer. All ES version 1 systems (all versions) also utilize a mag. pickup at the neck body position. ES version 2.0 does not use the mag. pickup and is a vertical piezo system designed by Taylor placed at the bridge.

If you have the latest version which most have dubbed version 2.0, then no, I do not think it is a worthy investment.

Version 1 ES iteration through all its forms was a balanced system. The K4 was made for that. ES Version 2 is an un-balanced preamp found in most all other brand systems and therefore the K4 is way overkill for tweaking your EQ and adding effects.

My recommendation if you have a version of the ES 1 series, go with the Pigtronix Keymaster. Its Cheaper, allows the use of effects, and keeps the signal, impedance issues at a non-think about level. ES version 2 will work with every EQ system out there so think bang for the buck with version 2.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
I will add my 2 cents worth of "experience" opinion.

If you have the ES version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 (more so with version 1.1, 3 volt, 2 SB transducers and 1.1, 9 volt, 2 SB transducers) the K4 is the way to go to fully realize the full potential and allow effects boxes into your guitar playing. Version 1.2 had a redesigned pre-amp and only 1 SB transducer. All ES version 1 systems (all versions) also utilize a mag. pickup at the neck body position. ES version 2.0 does not use the mag. pickup and is a vertical piezo system designed by Taylor placed at the bridge.

If you have the latest version which most have dubbed version 2.0, then no, I do not think it is a worthy investment.

Version 1 ES iteration through all its forms was a balanced system. The K4 was made for that. ES Version 2 is an un-balanced preamp found in most all other brand systems and therefore the K4 is way overkill for tweaking your EQ and adding effects.

My recommendation if you have a version of the ES 1 series, go with the Pigtronix Keymaster. Its Cheaper, allows the use of effects, and keeps the signal, impedance issues at a non-think about level. ES version 2 will work with every EQ system out there so think bang for the buck with version 2.

Brad
I have to disagree with this. Taylor did a good job of selling the K4 as the perfect match for the original ES. Yes, it was a good match but the K4 would be a good match for any pickup system. There's no special magic in the K4 that makes it work better with one system over another. It's just an extremely well designed preamp with a great wealth of eq options. I just don't really understand why it would be a better fit for the original ES and not the ES2?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have to disagree with this. Taylor did a good job of selling the K4 as the perfect match for the original ES. Yes, it was a good match but the K4 would be a good match for any pickup system. There's no special magic in the K4 that makes it work better with one system over another. It's just an extremely well designed preamp with a great wealth of eq options. I just don't really understand why it would be a better fit for the original ES and not the ES2?
No issue with this, just my opinion. Mr. Rupert Neve was the original designer for the first versions of the pre-amp in the ES ver. 1 series along with designing the K4. The K4 was designed for bringing out the best that ES 1 series pre-amp could offer. ES2 is a in-house designed pre-amp and pickup system ( I do not know if Mr. Neve had anything to do with this new one). I agree the K4 is an excellent system for any guitar, however since it was a Taylor/Neve collaboration for the ES 1 pre-amps, well, just going with common sense on this one.

I believe there are now equal and cheaper options out there for ES series 1 systems and I use one (without the EQ capability, Pigtronix Keymaster). If a K4 can be had for a decent price, I would also use it.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM

It is definitely an outstanding box. I used one for all of my ES1.1, ES1.2 and ES1.3 guitars over the years. I did however find it to be overkill for my current ES2 guitar. It does allow some very intense EQ'ing if you feel you need it, however I found my ES2 guitar sounded extremely good through the Body Rez options on a Play Acoustic. I sold the 10+ year old K4 on eBay for 250'ish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
equalizer, pre amp, taylor