The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Hard Wood Floors online? Best place to buy? Advice?

I'm in the middle of a home rennovation and am looking for a good deal on Hard Wood floors. We are going with a simple 2 1/4 Red Oak to match exisiting floors. Our kitchen will open up to a new dining room with lots of windows. We think we want to continue the same wood, but are open to ideas.

- Where is a good place to buy to get a great price/deal on hard wood floors?

- Has anyone had good luck matching old wood floors to new hard wood? (I understand matching can be hit or miss)

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-14-2021, 08:29 AM

Are you doing the work yourself?

I would advise to buy locally where you can inspect the wood before bringing it home. Wood is super expensive right now.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Are you doing the work yourself?

I would advise to buy locally where you can inspect the wood before bringing it home. Wood is super expensive right now.
We have a contractor but we are picking up some materials. Surprisingly wood for hardwood floors hasn't been affected by the lumber craze.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Eric, I'm unclear on whether you want solid wood or veneer floors. We are DIYers and have found local Lumber Liquidators to be our best source for bargains. It is not that hard to find floors that match or blend well. The best deals are in-stock closeouts/odd lots. We bought a high end closeout for our music room (they will haggle to get rid of an odd lot) and ended up with enough wood for 2 other rooms, and still saved 50% or more over other flooring/big box store prices for lower quality goods.

As we renovated our current home (3yrs) also found Craigslist and even FB marketplace (of all places) to be a good source for solid woods. Local flooring mills, contractor leftovers, and home recyclers like to advertise there for some reason and good deals can be found on new/recycled solid flooring, doors, windows, fixtures, etc...

Hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Hi Eric, I'm unclear on whether you want solid wood or veneer floors. We are DIYers and have found local Lumber Liquidators to be our best source for bargains. It is not that hard to find floors that match or blend well. The best deals are in-stock closeouts/odd lots. We bought a high end closeout for our music room (they will haggle to get rid of an odd lot) and ended up with enough wood for 2 other rooms, and still saved 50% or more over other flooring/big box store prices for lower quality goods.

As we renovated our current home (3yrs) also found Craigslist and even FB marketplace (of all places) to be a good source for solid woods. Local flooring mills, contractor leftovers, and home recyclers like to advertise there for some reason and good deals can be found on new/recycled solid flooring, doors, windows, fixtures, etc...

Hope that helps.
Thanks! Good advice! Looking for solid wood to match a 1950s home

Old 06-14-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

So this is maybe a bit random, but I had a huge allergic issue happen to me in a home with floors from Lumber Liquidators. I'll say off the bat that I'm not 100% sure that the flooring was the issue, but a reaction to formaldehyde is by far the best explanation for my mysterious and extensive symptoms.

Some months after moving into a new house, I started experiencing symptoms of burning eyes, nose, throat, lungs and even skin. It gave me asthma, and I had great difficulty sleeping. No one else in my family was affected. We searched and searched for MONTHS for the cause of the issue, testing for mold, mildew, and every contaminant we could think of. I was only affected in my own home, and I felt it immediately upon entering, and felt better immediately upon departing the house. Suffice it to say it was a stressful and frankly maddening experience. At certain points I thought I was going nuts. In the garage, there were a couple of boxes of extra flooring, and it was all made by Lumber Liquidators. It was the flooring used all over the home.

We eventually sold the house and found a great place in a nearby town. We're very happy here, so there was a silver lining. However, the kids pulled from their school district, but thankfully they were quite young. Luckily we sold it for a bit more than what we bought it for and didn't lose anything but some sales costs. As soon as we left I started feeling better, but have been sensitive to many allergens I wasn't sensitive to before the issue. It changed my life and was a very, very difficult chapter in my life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I only saw this report long after we'd left the home, and the way the symptoms were described matched my problems completely. I'm fairly convinced formaldehyde poisoning was the cause of my problems.

I don't know if these issues have been fixed, I hope they have. But I would certainly check before I bought anything from them. The expose on the Chinese suppliers in the video above was pretty shocking. I'm angry about it. But again, I don't know for sure this was it, but please beware and check everything out before buying from this company. I'd hate to have it happen to you.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Re: Dirk
Of course use due diligence in any building/remodel project and materials used. Similar to food you ingest...closer to the source the better for your health. Did not watch the video, and don't need to.

Since the op wants solid wood, my LL suggestion is probably mute. I still think a local mill could be a good source for solid wood.

Both new and old homes are filled with sketchy materials...lead, formaldehyde, asbestos, mold, and caustic glues come to mind.
The most logical answer is build /remodel your home with these factors in mind---and be sure to disclose known contaminants when you sell---I'm sure you did.

Sorry you had an allergic reaction, frightening, but grateful you identified it and moved to protect your health.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:31 PM

Default Hardwood, not laminate...

That 60 Minutes story deals only with laminate flooring, not the hardwood desired by the OP. Laminates are well know to contain harmful chemicals that can can pollute your indoor air after installation, but wood is just wood, no matter who's selling it.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-15-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
We have a contractor but we are picking up some materials. Surprisingly wood for hardwood floors hasn't been affected by the lumber craze.
That's surprising that hardwood floors haven't increased in price like lumber, which has more than doubled in price over the past year. I just googled it and the floors have increased in price as well. Double check to make sure you're looking at hardwood floor and not laminate/vinyl/etc (as others have stated).
Old 06-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's surprising that hardwood floors haven't increased in price like lumber, which has more than doubled in price over the past year. I just googled it and the floors have increased in price as well. Double check to make sure you're looking at hardwood floor and not laminate/vinyl/etc (as others have stated).
thanks! I'm well aware of the materials and market. I'm looking at hard red oak 2.25 inch. Its relatively cheap. its definitely not like hard lumber and OSB. OSB used to be about $6 a sheet. Now its over $52! Crazy!

Old 06-15-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
thanks! I'm well aware of the materials and market. I'm looking at hard red oak 2.25 inch. Its relatively cheap. its definitely not like hard lumber and OSB. OSB used to be about $6 a sheet. Now its over $52! Crazy!
Eric, I still need to get my basement finished in my new house. I'll need to purchase flooring so I'm interested in this thread, although I'll be going vinyl that has the underlay (less expensive and it's a basement).

BTW - you have some fantastic guitars! You'll probably get great ambiance with the sound reflecting off hardwood floors.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Re: Dirk
Of course use due diligence in any building/remodel project and materials used. Similar to food you ingest...closer to the source the better for your health. Did not watch the video, and don't need to.
It wasn't a building project, it was a house we bought that already had the floors installed. No due diligence on anyone's part would have turned up that the Chinese suppliers of the material were not creating it to the standards specified. Reading posts or watching the actual content in question can turn up useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
That 60 Minutes story deals only with laminate flooring, not the hardwood desired by the OP. Laminates are well know to contain harmful chemicals that can can pollute your indoor air after installation, but wood is just wood, no matter who's selling it.
It's a good point, but many producers make a distinction between "solid hardwood" and "hardwood products" which have hardwood on top but the substrate is laminate.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:16 PM

I am in the process of finishing a "tiny home" and purchased about 800 square feet of solid 3/4" oak flooring. After installing 7 rows, I began having a major issue. Some of the flooring was milled about 1/16" wider. I ended up removing the flooring and sending it all back. The flooring company, Prime Flooring, stated they would inspect the flooring and make a determination.
After having a conversation with a contractor, I will be looking at engineered hardwood.
I wish you the best of luck with your purchase.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:34 PM

I put in floors from time to time. I had some real nice ones once from Hardwoods4Less. Thin the next two home I had, I found better buys elsewhere. The best buys seem to drift about. Lumber LIquidators, Home Depot or Lowe's has never been in the running.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic