The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Anyway, several mentions of other films I've not seen so thanks to everyone for bringing them up. Looking forward to the Wrecking Crew tomorrow night and chasing down Muscle Shoals, etc.
Thread drift but since you mentioned other films, I can't resist throwing in Beware of Mr Baker. I have seen most of the other films mentioned and they are definitely worth the time. Beware of Mr Baker keeps me coming back. It helps that I was a Cream and Baker fan but it is also a pretty amazing story that is well told with some cool graphic inserts. And you won't necessarily love Ginger when it all is said and done. He is, at best, a rascal.

hunter
Old 03-15-2015, 06:29 AM

Just heard a great interview with Hal Blaine about The Wrecking Crew on Fresh Air. Here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/13/392780...over-the-years
Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM

I don't know that I care that much for the kind of music they played but I bet it will be a great show to see....like going through the Country Music Museum in Nashville.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It looks like an exact copy of Muscle Shoals which was a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever.....Watching the trailer, this one pales by comparison.

If you are very interested in a story like that I highly recommend Muscle Shoals.
I've seen "The Wrecking Crew", and based on this post I went and found "Muscle Shoals" for comparison. What a disappointment.

The story of the Swampers and their music is amazing, with insights into race relations and the birth of southern rock. But the documentary "Muscle Shoals" is a mess. Nothing at all happens for the first 15 minutes except for Bono saying "The Music is in the mud!" Their story deserved much better. Still, if you don't already know the story of the Swampers it's worth it for the history lesson.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

A couple of quick phone photos from the LA Premiere:

The marquee at the Nuart:

Sold out the line around the block:

Q&A afterward with director Denny Tedesco and some Wrecking Crew members including Joe Osborne and Don Randi:

Lots of fun. Congratulations Denny!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Oops! Almost forgot: a soundtrack is being released and there will be a bonus CD included that will be songs done by the Wrecking Crew members in their own names. Great to hear.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Thread drift but since you mentioned other films, I can't resist throwing in Beware of Mr Baker. I have seen most of the other films mentioned and they are definitely worth the time. Beware of Mr Baker keeps me coming back. It helps that I was a Cream and Baker fan but it is also a pretty amazing story that is well told with some cool graphic inserts. And you won't necessarily love Ginger when it all is said and done. He is, at best, a rascal.

hunter

Of all the fine music documentaries that have come out lately, Beware of Mr. Baker is the most entertaining - it opens with a bang. Such a brilliant drummer.

And yes, "rascal" is the most euphemistic way to describe him as a person. He's an absolute monster, but he's not detestable.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

If you are very interested in a story like that I highly recommend Muscle Shoals.
Fazool -

Thanks for the pointer. I finally got to watch Muscle Shoals today and it was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Wrecking Crew is available for preorder on Amazon and other places if anyone is interested. Both of these are great. Two thumbs up.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:19 PM

Sadly, I don't have the link, but there's a very funny extra segment, showing a grandmotherly Carole Kaye teaching Gene Simmons a bass line.

Steve
Old 05-23-2015, 06:23 PM

Here it is. http://youtu.be/q15LqTowvhA
Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM

I caught the Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix, and really enjoyed it...and I'm looking forward to seeing The Wrecking Crew at the first opportunity..
Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I caught the Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix, and really enjoyed it...and I'm looking forward to seeing The Wrecking Crew at the first opportunity..
ITunes has it now as do most of the cable companies on demand services. DVD and BluRay ship next month and can be preordered now.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 PM

I just want the DVD I get as part of the akickstarer campaign. I'm miffed that we were the first to shell out the dough and the last to see it.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
Sadly, I don't have the link, but there's a very funny extra segment, showing a grandmotherly Carole Kaye teaching Gene Simmons a bass line.

Steve
This made me feel a lot better to know that Gene Simmons has some of the same beat and rhythm issues I sometimes experience. Grandma Carol Kaye showing the man "With the beat, always got to be with the beat ... up down up down up down" and even counting him in.

As usual I got sucked into the musical bowels of YouTube following Mama Kaye --- and impressive player with some serious beat mojo and long resume. I can't wait to see this one.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I just want the DVD I get as part of the akickstarer campaign. I'm miffed that we were the first to shell out the dough and the last to see it.
Me too. Still waiting. I paid to watch it On Demand. Hopefully the DVD will have lots of extras.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN