The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 AM

Although the advice given here is awesome, having thankfully passed the "barre chord breakthrough!!" after a few years I wanted to give my 0.0002 cents worth.

I had been playing on a cheap acoustic for a while; trying to do the barre chords was very very difficult, it would sound muted and hurt terribly. But when I got my Taylor 314CE it was a breeze!!! It made me a better player in a few months. Therefore in my experience your guitar plays an important role (low action, light gauge strings, playability etc.) Capo really helps too, when you capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret the action becomes even lower making it easier to barre. And my last advice is let gravity do some of the work, when you are pressing against your thumb, also use the weight of your hand/arm pulling down.

Ohh and did I say practice a lot.

Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by halikarnas
"barre chord breakthrough!!"

This is exactly what I'm waiting for!

It seems that whenever I learn something new, be it a song/riff or new chord, it just happens after a lot of practice. Can't wait to post back here saying that I've just had "the barre chord breakthrough".

I'm going to try the capo idea, that sounds like it would help. I think one of the biggest things I'm doing wrong now is pressing too hard.

Chris
Old 11-26-2003, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by the floodzone

I think one of the biggest things I'm doing wrong now is pressing too hard.

Chris
Here is a quick trick to show you just how little pressure you actually need. Stick your index finger on the low E string at the 5th fret and pluck the string with your right hand as you slowly press down. Once you achieve the necessary amount of pressure the string will stop buzzing. You never need to use more force than that, even with barre chords.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor110
You probably need to apply less pressure than you think. Trying to choke the life outta the neck tires your hand out very quickly. Allow the weight of your arm to help depress the strings, with the index finger as close to the fret as possible. Use only enough pressure to sound the notes without buzzing, any more is overkill and adds tension to your hand.

Remember that your index finger ain't the only finger working here! If, for example, you are playing an E shaped chord, the A,D, and G strings are fretted by other fingers. The index only has to keep 3 strings fretted cleanly.
Reread this post. Good advice.

Vintage Ibanez Dread
Martin D28
Taylor 355
American Deluxe Power Telecaster
Les Paul Deluxe
Old 11-26-2003, 11:58 AM

Taylor110's advice is very good. I've been working on this concept of only barring the strings that need to be barred; to take this one step further, shift pressure with the barre finger to the notes that need to be sounded (in other words, the pressure your barre finger applies shifts as you play the different notes in a chord.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:33 PM

In case anyone was wondering here is what I'm trying to play:

Verse
E:---------------------------------------------------
B:-------------------------9-----9---------2---------
G:---------------------x---9-----9---------2----6h7--
D:------------9-----9--x---9h11--9---------2----7----
A:------7-----9h11--9--x--------------11\------------
E:-7h9-----9-----------------------------------------
1_3 1 3 1_3 1 1_3 1 (3) 1 1_3

That part with the 9's is whats giving me the most problems. I'm going to try and do some basic barring, like holding all strings down at 1 fret, and that will hopefully ease me into playing the above tab. Keep the advice coming and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Chris
Old 11-26-2003, 12:42 PM

is that a leo kottke tune?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:45 PM

Look's like DM...I recognize that tab....
Old 11-26-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gardner
Look's like DM...I recognize that tab....
jimi thaaaaang

floodzone, since you're just looking for the F barre chord, you can still play jimi thing fine....just "fake" the F a bit

instead of 1-3-3-2-1-1, just go X-3-3-2-1-X

or else the 1-3-3 power chord....

both these options will make it easier for you for the time being, while still doing the song justice
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 11-26-2003, 12:54 PM

jimi thaaaaang

floodzone, since you're just looking for the F barre chord, you can still play jimi thing fine....just "fake" the F a bit

instead of 1-3-3-2-1-1, just go X-3-3-2-1-X

or else the 1-3-3 power chord....

both these options will make it easier for you for the time being, while still doing the song justice

as far as barring the 9's, when you said "holding all the strings down at one fret", i'm not clear as to if you're actually barring all 6 strings at that time, or just barring the necessary three strings to hold the 9's down. if you just barre the three necessary ones, your life will be a lot easier -- just keep that ring finger available for your hammer-ons
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 11-26-2003, 01:20 PM

I've tried playing that 9 part with barring everything and just the neccessary stuff, but I have the same problem. Its a bit hard to learn barre chords now because I bruised my index finger I think trying barre chords the other day and pressing really hard. Its frustrating, but I keep trying. Hopefully one day I'll get it. I just don't want to get too impatient about it.

Chris
Old 11-26-2003, 03:07 PM

While practice is certainly important, try simplifying a bit if/where you can. For example, instead of playing a full-fisted E-form barre chord, try an E7 form -- for a G (at the third fret), for example...
    _4
    __5
Also try the A-form barre chords, but use just a single finger (ring-finger) to hold down the three strings for the A-form. For a D barre (at the 5th fret, using the A-form), for example...
    __7
    __7
    __7
This is a bit wierd at first, but really opens things up once it clicks in.

Also helps a lot to have an acoustic with a great neck -- like a Taylor!!!!!!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 11-26-2003, 04:33 PM

The most useful "tricks" I learned (and am still learning) are:

1. Rotate your index finger and use the side, where the bone is straighter and harder than the front.

2. Alot of times you just focus on pressing down from the top; make sure you use your thumb to squeeze up also, this will give you more strength.

3. Remember the index finger does not need to cleanly fret every string - only those that are not being fretted by other fingers. So, for example, with the basic major formation (like an F chord barred at the first fret), your index finger only needs to cleaning hold down the E, B and low E strings. This is good advice for beginning, but as you learn harder formations you'll eventually have to learn how to barre so that different strings are held down.

I think there is a "barre chord breakthrough" like some people mentioned, and like Halikarnas, one of the catalysts for mine was getting an acoustic guitar with decent action (*cough* Taylor *cough*). Haha. If you keep at it no matter how bad they sound though, they'll start to get cleaner and cleaner each day.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:46 PM

A lot of people mention rotating the finger; what side or which way do you mean? If I'm looking at the back of my hand, not the palm side, do I want the left or right side of my index finger on the fretboard?

Chris
Old 11-26-2003, 04:48 PM

For me I bought an electric guitar just to learn new chords and practice switchin.

I can practice longer, my hand and arms don't get tired, it doesn't sound as bad, and I get my "attack" down and then switch back to my JDCM Jumbo.

Works like a champ!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell