The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Upgrading a Washburn Rover

So, the other day I picked up a Washburn Rover second hand. Looks nice, great case for travel, decent neck, yada yada. The sound is not bad, kind of banjo-like, lacking depth as you would expect from a tiny body. I bought it strictly as a practice beater for hotels, beach, etc., but it is kinda cool to mess around with.

As a rule, I ALWAYS change plastic nuts and saddles to Tusq, unless they are bone to begin with. This little boat paddle comes with a cheap ABS plastic nut and saddle. The dilemma: Do I keep the plastics or do I swap them out for Tusq?

Saddle: My experience is a very rich harmonic improvement in tone and increased sustain. The harmonic improvement of a Tusq saddle is most noticeable in the mids and upper frequencies. The Rover already sounds "tinny" due to the tiny body so, will this change make it sound "tinnier" or, will the enhanced mids make the tone more pleasing overall?

Nut: Only affects open strings, but I am a perfectionist. The real reason I want to change the nut is to improve string spacing so, I need to change it anyway so, may as well go Tusq.

Whaddaya think? Have you messed around with one of these? Am I wasting my time trying to squeak out a better tone from a boat paddle? Please share your thoughts and views and comments as you see fit.
Ovation Custom Elite C2078 AX
Dean EABC Bass
Washburn Rover
Old 11-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Go for it.
Bet you will like the results.
Wonder how a set of Martin Retro strings would sound on it?
Old 11-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I'd leave it alone. If you embark on this venture, you'll never get past the fact that this is just a GLO, which will never be anything more than, and I quote:

"a practice beater for hotels, beach, etc., but it is kinda cool to mess around with."

Enjoy it as such.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM

Default Had one

Now my grandson has it I did change the saddle honestly hated the bone I put in and then tried the tusq which seem to help a lot more in terms of sound and better ringing.I didn't change out the nut so cant give you anything there but can tell you I liked my Rover over the Martin or the Taylor.( Eventually gave them away )
I just found it really easy when travelling and especially on flights fits nicely in the over head on planes.Good luck and enjoy it was great for keeping my finger memory while gone for extended times.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
I did change the saddle honestly hated the bone I put in and then tried the tusq which seem to help a lot more in terms of sound and better ringing.
That's what I thought would happen. With plastic, it seems the fundamental notes are there but they sound very one-dimensional. I want to enhance the output by creating better sound, I just don't want to enhance "tinny" and "one-dimensional" sounds if you get my meaning.

I can't seem to go against my own nature; the desire to modify everything guitar is too strong to fight. I think I'll order a Tusq nut and saddle. I'll always wonder "what if" if I don't.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Ovation Custom Elite C2078 AX
Dean EABC Bass
Washburn Rover
Old 03-05-2023, 06:17 PM

Default Zombie Thread Revival..

deleted.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion