The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-18-2003, 07:05 PM

Default One Year of Lessons.

Have been playing guitar for twenty-five plus years, but have not learned any new tricks in the past ten. Enter>lessons. Took my first lesson one year ago today. I didn't really know what to expect. I wanted to add some color to songs I was already playing. Under the watchful eye of a true professional I quickly learned moveable chord shapes, chord progressions in all keys, and a lot of guitar theory, but not a lot of technique. In other words I've become book smart, but my technique has progressed at a slower pace.

I hope my hard work on the theory will pay off big in the future.
Any advice on something I'm missing? Any input would be great.
Cheers, Smoky
Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 PM

The mind is always faster than our bodies. I just finished 1 semester (my first) as a jazz guitar major. I have to take theory lessons, piano...etc. In 14 weeks, I have a very good foundation in theory and my technical skills have improved by leaps and bounds (scales, timing, chord changes). Musically though, I'm not that much better.

When I ask my guitar teacher about how he solo's and figures out filler chords and such, and how he realizes where all the notes are on the fretboard I get "Don't worry about that right now" and we get back to the lesson at hand.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:00 PM

I think alot of us, just want to know "how did you do that"???
Old 12-21-2003, 03:57 PM

Smile

Last spring I decided to accelerate the
process and signed up for two one- hour lessons
a week. Went on like that from May through August.
I hadn't played guitar in over thirty years, and wanted
to get back into it with a steep learning curve.

Although I am glad I did; my playing hit a plateau around
July. Lots of theory (which I had asked for), lots of
"exercises"; way too few tunes.

Ultimately, I think I was kidding myself. I had asked my
instructor for heavy theory and a solid foundation. That is what
he gave me. Looking back, what I really wanted was the
ability to play popular songs.

With my foundation in hand, I will begin lessons again next
month. My first instructor was good;however, now I want to focus
on fingerstyle. That will require a different teacher.

A modest recommendation to you music teachers out there.

Listen to what your students say they want; but make certain
you throw in some common "good time" guitar songs from time
to time. The bottom line is, we play the guitar for enjoyment-ours and others- We need to be able to play tunes when asked.

My instructor did exactly what I had asked of him. Now I know
I was kidding myself. It's really about the music.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:24 PM

Smile

just some friendly advice (regarding fingerstyle instruction),

(and partly because I think you're still a bit - just a bit- mixed up on what an instructor can do for you(opinion)...we're all self-taught...whether you're taking lesssons or not, you will be self-taught...actual contact time with an instructor is minimal at best compared to the amount of time you are with yourself...etc...)

get on with it Daddy, on with it...

you aren't very likely to find a better instructor than Mark Hanson....

www.accentonmusic.com
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-21-2003, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sport
The bottom line is, we play the guitar for enjoyment-ours and others- We need to be able to play tunes when asked.

well, of course!

but an instructor shouldn't really play the role of 'human tablature dispenser' for popular songs...(opinion)...that approach is horribly inefficient and expensive...really expensive...(fact)...gobbles up lesson time like my mother-in-law gobbles up that new soy mixture at the trough...it ain't pretty.....and likely will lead to very little progress and dare I say complaining on the part of the student....

an instructor can help you work through tunes...but that most likely will mean helping you with some aspect of music (getting the right rhythm down, creating alternate 2nd guitar parts, etc...)....not just spoon feeding....

I'm blibber-blabbering....

I always did like the Mister Rogers song titled "You've Got to Do It"

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-21-2003, 09:24 PM

mapletrees,

Don't stop now. I always enjoy your posts. I'm really wanting to learn some old Rev. Gary Davis music. I no longer have a desire for more guitars, I have the desire to get better ! I know I have a long ways to go, but at least I have a goal in front of me.

( @ )===:::
Old 12-24-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees

well, of course!

but an instructor shouldn't really play the role of 'human tablature dispenser' for popular songs...(opinion)...that approach is horribly inefficient and expensive...really expensive...(fact)...gobbles up lesson time like my mother-in-law gobbles up that new soy mixture at the trough...it ain't pretty.....and likely will lead to very little progress and dare I say complaining on the part of the student....

an instructor can help you work through tunes...but that most likely will mean helping you with some aspect of music (getting the right rhythm down, creating alternate 2nd guitar parts, etc...).
Whew is it nice to hear the voice of reason once in a while. What you say is very correct. I really understand the SELF-TAUGHT aspect.

Ex: I am currently a jazz guitar/music education major as I stated above. I meet w/ my guitar teacher for 1 one hour lesson a week. From that point on, I spend a minimum of 5 hours a day on my guitar until our next lesson. That's a minimum of 30 hours (usually it is more) a week of practice. Here is a breakdown of my regular practice routine:

30min of playing "my" tunes (music I've been playing since high school) for fun.
1hr of major/minor scales in all known/learned positions
1-2hrs reviewing "old" material
1-2hrs learning new material...this is where my normal 5hrs/day extends to 6 or 7 hrs a day. It is learning the new stuff (melody, chords, timing, improv solos) that keeps my attention while the clock becomes a non-issue.

I know, I know....many/most people just don't have 6hrs a day to dedicate to practicing. Fine. Not an issue, but where I find people go wrong is, due to time constraints, the important aspects of getting better (timing, rhythmic articulation, scales, theory, picking technique, strumming technique) are thrown out in favor of sitting down playing tunes. This is the main reason TABs were "invented". TABS do nothing for you other than send you down the road of dependency.

Do yourselves a favor, allot some time for the "boring" stuff. If you have only 2 hrs a day spend that first hour on the boring stuff then get to the fun stuff. One thing you will notice is that right after practicing timing stuff, you are so on cue that your "cool" stuff just sounds that much tighter.

If only 1hr a day, take 30minutes for the boring stuff. Yes, NOTE that I cut whatever time you have in half, and use that "half" to practice boring technical stuff. DO THE TECHNICAL BORING STUFF FIRST or you will never get to it.

Many have to understand: Playing a tune over and over and over again does not make the tune get any better. You won't know, listening to your own skill playing. For the most part it will sound good to you. On the other hand, if you split the time you have and spend it on FOCUSED practice, then get to your tune, things seem to fall into place much easier. You will notice things you were not doing before. Your ear will be more tuned to the nuances you wouldn't have heard before.

Last but not least by far: Differientiate between knowing a song or KNOWING a song. There is nothing more irritating than a bandmate that claims to "know" a piece and fall apart in the middle of it, or come in at the wrong time playing the "B" section of a song when everyone else is on the "A" section.
If you know it then know it COLD. If you are stumbling at certain parts of the song, then you DON'T KNOW IT and you are still working on it. Of course we all mess up once in a while and for the most part it is laughed off. This is a peeve for me since we have such a person in my ensemble at school..how he got in is still a mystery to me.

So many people that will read this will say I'm a little gung ho w/ this stuff aren't I? It's all about having fun blah blah blah. Before you answer ask yourselves:
What is it about the performers we like to go see play that makes us enjoy their music. Is it their technical prowess on a guitar (Leo Kottke, Stanley Jordan, Phil Keaggy, Bela Fleck, Tony Rice...)? Is it their musical ideas? Is it the fact that you barely ever hear them make a mistake, and if they did, did you even know it? I highly doubt any of these performers learn from TAB, and I am pretty sure they all have a good foundation in music theory. 'nuff said.

Last edited by Ninjato; 12-24-2003 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:30 AM

Thanks all, for your input and shared experiences with lessons and your journey through music playing. I really identified with Sports reply. Playing music you enjoy is a great way to apply all your new learned tricks to your individual music style. Reading everyone's replies helps a lot. Thanks again.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:37 AM

ive never had any sort of lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell