The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 09-22-2023, 05:36 PM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

So I just got Everse and I'm having trouble getting clean sounding signal on my vocal mic and my acoustic guitar. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-22-2023, 08:07 PM
zeeway zeeway is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Low Country, South Carolina, USA
Posts: 952
Default

Longshot: if you have a high impedance pickup on your guitar, it should be connected to input #2. Also, make sure no unwanted settings have slipped in - do a factory reset.
__________________
Angie
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-22-2023, 09:18 PM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Longshot: if you have a high impedance pickup on your guitar, it should be connected to input #2. Also, make sure no unwanted settings have slipped in - do a factory reset.
That reset might be a good idea. My guitar is in #2 it's an old Bill Lawrence A300.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-25-2023, 07:09 PM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

I readjusted everything and that seems to have made it better. These things aren't very loud are they? At 5 db louder a Mackie Thump 12A will destroy this thing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2023, 10:52 PM
Chriscom's Avatar
Chriscom Chriscom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern Virginia/DC/USA
Posts: 1,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Marvel View Post
I readjusted everything and that seems to have made it better. These things aren't very loud are they? At 5 db louder a Mackie Thump 12A will destroy this thing.
Well how loud is loud lol.

The Thump 12A has a 12 inch woofer for starters, compared to the Everse 8's 8-inch, is bigger and heavier etc. soooo yep! 126 db versus 121 db peak

Horses for courses.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-26-2023, 08:06 AM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

My ears are telling me its more like the difference between 126db and 100db the difference is drastic. I'm not expecting the Everse to be anywhere near as loud as the Mackie but not 9 times quieter if you consider the listed specs. According to the listed specs between the two there is only a 5db difference but what I'm hearing is more like 20db difference. Something is telling me one of these specs are off one way or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

I got to do some working with it today. If I crank my mic volume, then bring my guitar volume up to match, I'm getting much better results. Much much louder now though clip light is coming on occasionally on main output but I'm not hearing any distortion.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-03-2023, 10:38 PM
ZackPomerleau ZackPomerleau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Marvel View Post
I got to do some working with it today. If I crank my mic volume, then bring my guitar volume up to match, I'm getting much better results. Much much louder now though clip light is coming on occasionally on main output but I'm not hearing any distortion.
Itís because itís not a clip light itís a limit light. You can check if the channels are clipping but itís a separate thing. The limiter is about the fact youíre pushing the output too far. But realistically the specs state the limit light hits approximately 6db before any clipping occurs.

Regarding the volume thing. Companies test db in different ways. So who knows. I personally donít think youíll get anywhere near 121 db from that thing. Or even 115. I think reasonably 100-105. Anything louder would be with recorded music which is compressed. I will also say Iíve heard people go ďthe Evolve 30M is only 2-3db louder spec wiseĒ but I can factually say trying it itís way louder in every way. And owning a 50M, I can get significantly louder than the 30M. I personally think the white noise spec testing method is kinda ridiculous
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Blues Marvel Blues Marvel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
It’s because it’s not a clip light it’s a limit light. You can check if the channels are clipping but it’s a separate thing. The limiter is about the fact you’re pushing the output too far. But realistically the specs state the limit light hits approximately 6db before any clipping occurs.

Regarding the volume thing. Companies test db in different ways. So who knows. I personally don’t think you’ll get anywhere near 121 db from that thing. Or even 115. I think reasonably 100-105. Anything louder would be with recorded music which is compressed. I will also say I’ve heard people go “the Evolve 30M is only 2-3db louder spec wise” but I can factually say trying it it’s way louder in every way. And owning a 50M, I can get significantly louder than the 30M. I personally think the white noise spec testing method is kinda ridiculous
I totally agree, I'm going to do some db tests with music piped into both the Mackie and the Everse. I own a a hardware digital decibel meter with tripod mount. I actually started some testing already but I got shut down by the femaliens. I have to wait till they are not in the vicinity.

And since I do not here any audible artifacts at the current volume I'm going to run with that as its much louder. Just trying get something to gig with thats much lighter smaller. I'm moving away from my Trio gigs and concentrating on acoustic. No opinions, more money, less gear, faster setup/breakdown = WIN WIN.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-05-2023, 10:50 PM
ZackPomerleau ZackPomerleau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Marvel View Post
I totally agree, I'm going to do some db tests with music piped into both the Mackie and the Everse. I own a a hardware digital decibel meter with tripod mount. I actually started some testing already but I got shut down by the femaliens. I have to wait till they are not in the vicinity.

And since I do not here any audible artifacts at the current volume I'm going to run with that as its much louder. Just trying get something to gig with thats much lighter smaller. I'm moving away from my Trio gigs and concentrating on acoustic. No opinions, more money, less gear, faster setup/breakdown = WIN WIN.
Iíve personally used it for outdoor gigs. Itís not as full sounding as my Evolve but itís plenty volume for lots of gigs and perfect for when you need to get out quick!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-13-2023, 08:14 AM
jricc jricc is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 4,673
Default Reply from Electro Voice re: different volume controls

I emailed EV support about the different controls and received this response:

The MAIN Level is the main output or signal coming from the mixer going to the amplifier of the speaker and to the MIX OUT.

The Master Volume is the actual level of the amplifier of the speaker, increasing the volume here will only increase the volume on the speaker itself and not to the rest of the system, if you happen to have additional speakers connected to the MIX OUT of the everse.


They also said a firmware update will fix the vol control resetting to 0db if you have the vol above 10 db. Notification will come in the app.
__________________
-Joe

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele


My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-14-2023, 09:28 PM
Chriscom's Avatar
Chriscom Chriscom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern Virginia/DC/USA
Posts: 1,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I emailed EV support about the different controls and received this response:

The MAIN Level is the main output or signal coming from the mixer going to the amplifier of the speaker and to the MIX OUT.

The Master Volume is the actual level of the amplifier of the speaker, increasing the volume here will only increase the volume on the speaker itself and not to the rest of the system, if you happen to have additional speakers connected to the MIX OUT of the everse.


They also said a firmware update will fix the vol control resetting to 0db if you have the vol above 10 db. Notification will come in the app.
Very helpful, thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-14-2023, 11:00 PM
RussellHawaii RussellHawaii is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I emailed EV support about the different controls and received this response:



The MAIN Level is the main output or signal coming from the mixer going to the amplifier of the speaker and to the MIX OUT.



The Master Volume is the actual level of the amplifier of the speaker, increasing the volume here will only increase the volume on the speaker itself and not to the rest of the system, if you happen to have additional speakers connected to the MIX OUT of the everse.




They also said a firmware update will fix the vol control resetting to 0db if you have the vol above 10 db. Notification will come in the app.

This is great info! Mystery solved! Nice to know there is logical explanation.
__________________
Doerr, Skytop, Henderson, Kinnaird, Edwinson, Ryan, SCGC, Martin, others.
https://youtu.be/_l6ipf7laSU
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=