The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-03-2023, 12:14 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,232
Default Kenny Hill guitars

What's the consensus? The ones I heard online sounded good, much more clarity than my C5 (as played by me - which is most likely a large factor)
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

YouTube Celtic playlist

YouTube nylon playlist

Playing Around {Arr: Wolfgang Vedral}:



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2023, 12:37 PM
dyingsea dyingsea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 114
Default

Which ones? You have his shop built guitars that are 5-10k then there is his import series.

Last edited by dyingsea; 09-03-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2023, 12:48 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingsea View Post
Which ones? You have his shop built guitars that are 5-10k then there is his import series. Trying to compare your current guitar and playing to another one you have heard on video/recording is a fallacy.

I am not sure what instruments you may have access to but if you are looking at classicals in hand and in room is just much more the path to run down. They can vary and in some cases very much in feel and sound even amongst true handmade concert instruments. You may also consider those that have trial periods.
Oh, sorry. My budget was the $1,500 to $3,000 guitars.
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

YouTube Celtic playlist

YouTube nylon playlist

Playing Around {Arr: Wolfgang Vedral}:



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2023, 12:52 PM
dyingsea dyingsea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Oh, sorry. My budget was the $1,500 to $3,000 guitars.
Understood, figured that was likely the case but just wanted to confirm. There's a lot in that range. Imports, small shop production builds, even handmade concert level instruments. Something to think about and research.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2023, 01:05 PM
blackie51 blackie51 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 522
Default

Barry, There's a nice Kenny Hill for sale in the classifieds at the moment:

http://https://www.acousticguitarfor...d.php?t=670598

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2023, 01:22 PM
drjond56 drjond56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 541
Default

I have a New World Player Series (one with Soundports) cedar top. Excellent guitar. Mine came from Savage Classical (pheomenal dealer , BTW) and he usually has several in stock and some really nice sound files:

https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...-hill-guitars/

Jon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2023, 09:01 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie51 View Post
Barry, There's a nice Kenny Hill for sale in the classifieds at the moment:

http://https://www.acousticguitarfor...d.php?t=670598

Tom
I'm not ready yet Tom, but thanks for the heads up,


Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
I have a New World Player Series (one with Soundports) cedar top. Excellent guitar. Mine came from Savage Classical (pheomenal dealer , BTW) and he usually has several in stock and some really nice sound files:

https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...-hill-guitars/

Jon
Jon, that's exactly the website I was drooling over I could make a road trip there later this year. It's only an hour away. I have the mapquest directions bookmarked
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

YouTube Celtic playlist

YouTube nylon playlist

Playing Around {Arr: Wolfgang Vedral}:



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Puddleglum Puddleglum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 652
Default

I found one of the China-made Hills on my local CL the other day being sold as "new" (not sure about that) for $180. I should have bought it for the heck of it and then resold it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2023, 10:49 AM
j3ffr0 j3ffr0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,902
Default

I have a couple a couple of the USA models. Bought both used on reverb at significant discounts to the new price. I love them! You might be able to negotiate or grab a deal around 3k or just north of it if you are patient.

So hard to find decent classical guitars in the U.S. I still havenít played one of the Hill imports.

Before the Hills I had an Alvarez MC90c and a Cordoba GK studio Negra. Nothing wrong with either, but the USA Hills were a huge step up.
__________________
Alvarez: DY61
Huss and Dalton: DS Crossroads, 00-SP
Kenny Hill: Heritage, Performance
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:51 AM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I have a couple a couple of the USA models. Bought both used on reverb at significant discounts to the new price. I love them! You might be able to negotiate or grab a deal around 3k or just north of it if you are patient.

So hard to find decent classical guitars in the U.S. I still havenít played one of the Hill imports.

Before the Hills I had an Alvarez MC90c and a Cordoba GK studio Negra. Nothing wrong with either, but the USA Hills were a huge step up.
What models are the USA Kenny Hill guitars? Thanks.
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

YouTube Celtic playlist

YouTube nylon playlist

Playing Around {Arr: Wolfgang Vedral}:



Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2023, 01:47 PM
ceciltguitar ceciltguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,285
Default

Thereís usually at least one or 2 Hill guitars listed on the Delcamp forum.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2023, 11:12 AM
para38super para38super is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 55
Default

With your budget I would look into Paracho Mexican made guitars. Francisco Navarro and sons is a great choice. There is also Salvador Castillo, that might be a little out of your price point. I personally dislike Chinese made guitars. Kenny Hill makes great guitars here in the US, but those are a lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2023, 06:48 PM
Barb1 Barb1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 409
Default

Para38super,
In 1978, my husband and I took a road trip through Mexico. We spent two days in Paracho watching luthiers work. While in Paracho I bought a lovely requinto
from Josť Luis Granados. I still have that guitar.
Barb
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2023, 08:25 PM
j38guitar j38guitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Para38super,
In 1978, my husband and I took a road trip through Mexico. We spent two days in Paracho watching luthiers work. While in Paracho I bought a lovely requinto
from Josť Luis Granados. I still have that guitar.
Barb
That sounds awesome! I wish I could do that now a days. But from what I hear itís not as safe as it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2023, 10:13 PM
j3ffr0 j3ffr0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What models are the USA Kenny Hill guitars? Thanks.

Heritage and Performance (which has been discontinued). Also shown in my signature.

Cheers!
__________________
Alvarez: DY61
Huss and Dalton: DS Crossroads, 00-SP
Kenny Hill: Heritage, Performance
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=