The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 12:33 PM

Default Yamaha LL6M one year out

I've had my Yamaha LL6M for a year now. My impressions; visually, the Englemann spruce top has only darkened a bit but has become fairly streaky looking, with tannish streaks running most of the length of the body here and there. It's not particularly appealing, as it is fairly random, but it doesn't bother me. There is some silking present but no more apparent than when new.

Tonally, the guitar is maturing nicely. When I got it I tried several sets of different brand and types of strings, settling on DR Sunbeams and a bit disappointed that the long-lasting Retro Monel and various Nickel strings didn't agree much with the guitar, sounding a little brash and clunky, with not enough bottom end. About 6 weeks ago I did another round of string try outs on it and the definite winner was John Pearse Pure Nickels, displaying strong fundamentals but sweet, round, piano-like bass response. Veeery nice! And very different from when the guitar was brand new and I tried that exact set. The top seems to have gained some headroom as well, though my recent medium (13s) string setup may have more to do with that than any maturing.

And, of course, being an L series laminate B&S it goes indoors and outdoors in any weather, and hangs on the wall, holding near precise tune for days on end. And just last night I got a compliment on the plugged-in sound of the guitar as well.

So, I must say I am very pleased with the instrument and happy to have it as my #1 performance guitar, being mindful that I always perform standing. If I performed on guitar seated, it would definitely not be my #1, as it is a big and deep guitar, more than I want in my lap. And not easy to find a well fitted case either; smaller than a real jumbo, but sort of a swelled up dreadnought...maybe you can stuff it in some dread cases, but it will be tighter than you may be comfortable with. Some, (my Gator dread hard case), it won't fit at all. I should have probably just sprung for the Yamaha model spec case, but I didn't.

But, all said, the guitar serves it's function extremely well and I am pleased and confident in it's performance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion