The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 02:09 PM

Default Bottleneck Guitar

Do you prefer playing on acoustic or resonator guitars?

For years I played on acoustics then changed to resonators. Playing on resonators I had to adjust my style, it was too loud on resonators, but I lost my feel.

I went back to acoustics, but I now didn't feel comfortable on them either.

Tonight, I put a capo on the 2nd fret of my Seagull S6 Original (which I didn't like), and it turned into a honkey-tonk guitar! Amazing. I loved it, and my old feel came back.

My resonator will be on eBay soon!
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 03-09-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
Do you prefer playing on acoustic or resonator guitars?
Absolutely!

They're completely different instruments, and I love playing both. In fact I love playing all four kinds of guitar: acoustic, electric, squareneck resonator, and roundneck resonator.

Quote:
For years I played on acoustics then changed to resonators. Playing on resonators I had to adjust my style, it was too loud on resonators, but I lost my feel.

I went back to acoustics, but I now didn't feel comfortable on them either.

Tonight, I put a capo on the 2nd fret of my Seagull S6 Original (which I didn't like), and it turned into a honkey-tonk guitar! Amazing. I loved it, and my old feel came back.
You've found your sweet spot, man!

Quote:
My resonator will be on eBay soon!
A win-win-win-win-win!
Old 03-09-2024, 06:00 PM

I love my Nationals - they are the look and sound - but my Tricone can be really heavy to lug, so I started putting acoustics in Open G, later putting thicker high E string on and played some ‘junkers’ like that in the classic tradition......

But the latest slide king has to be the ladder braced Waterloo WL-14L......if you have not played bottleneck on one I seriously suggest you go looking for one. Ladder bracing cries! Sings!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new National NRP Tri Cone fairly recently and B-King you're right its heavy and definitely the loudest guitar I own.

I have a Martin OM18A that sounds good in open G and D but I'm actually quite thrilled with my new National. I think I got a good deal at of 20% off during a Xmas sale.

It's a 12 fret which I like because you can run the slide up to the 12th fret with confidence that you won't over shoot it. I just put some new flatwound mediums on it. Sounds good to me and fun to play and even better, I haven't found a single 'issue' with yet

A very clean build unlike some of the 6 strings I've bought over the last 10 years.

I wouldn't give up on resonators but they are much different than wood guitars. It's good to own both and a 12 string as well. Variety is good if you can afford it.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:24 PM

I play slide on resonators, as well as acoustic and electric guitars. I find that it’s all about finding the right slide. The right slide for a resonator is probably too heavy for an electric. As a general rule, I like glass on electric, ceramic on acoustic, and brass on a resonator. Lighter slides produce a thinner tone, but are easier to control without fretting out. Slides are cheap. Buy a bunch and mess around.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 03-10-2024, 09:40 AM

Just like any of my guitars, my resonator has the right voice for some songs, but not for others. That's why I own each of them.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:21 AM

I've got a decades-old cheap single cone Epiphone "The Biscuit" resonator that scratches that itch. It's got its own sound and response and I only play it bottleneck slide style. I wouldn't describe the tone of the thing as I play it as pretty, but more at impactful.

But.

I'll play a similar style a lot of the time on my Martin 00-15. Of course it doesn't sound identical to the resonator, but it works more-or-less interchangeably for the same repertoire. Note: I only play for my own enjoyment and for recording my pieces for my long-running Parlando Project. The Biscuit might be louder and project more in an acoustic ensemble.

I'll agree with what was said upthread for players looking for a change: experiment with slide sizes and materials.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion