The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 02:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've realized that just because I have the means to share music I make, it doesn't automatically make it worth sharing to the masses
Yep…I’m with Barry. I’m pretty sure my civic duty is to not unleash my hack playing upon the innocent masses. Though it might be an easy way to raise money for lessons.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep…I’m with Barry. I’m pretty sure my civic duty is to not unleash my hack playing upon the innocent masses. Though it might be an easy way to raise money for lessons.

I usually tell listeners at our occasional duo performances that if they don't like what they're hearing, tip us anyway so we can afford lessons. On a more serious note, I just love playing and some of it is sharing music with others. I can't tell you how many times we've finished a well done and enjoyable tune to actually be startled a bit by applause. I'd been so into the song that I'd forgotten they were out there
Old 03-09-2024, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I looked up your song and just now commented on it. I thought you did really well. I don't know why it missed it, but we all miss things in Show & Tell once in a while. Things get buried. I wanted you to know I really enjoyed what you did.

- Glenn
Glenn, thank you very much for listening and for your kind words. When I think of AGF’s Show and Tell, I think of you. While I don’t always add my comments to the flood of accolades you deservedly receive, your work has given me hours of joy. And your unflagging kindness is a human example of the highest order. You walk tall among us.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-09-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I can't tell you how many times we've finished a well done and enjoyable tune to actually be startled a bit by applause. I'd been so into the song that I'd forgotten they were out there
Bingo! That’s the shared experience between performer and audience. I love when that happens. Not trying to get new age stuff on anyone but you are connecting with the audience through music.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 03-09-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
. . . Do we have a responsibility or obligation to share what we do as musicians?
Are we obliged to play for other people? No, of course not. If you enjoy playing at home alone, play at home alone.

Do we need to record or publish our music for posterity? Again, no, of course not. Only a tiny fraction of the music that's ever been played has been recorded. That's not anyone's moral failing. It's the nature of music.

Mick Jagger said it best: "Our love is like our music: It's here, and then it's gone."
Old 03-09-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I have read every one and taken your thoughts to heart.

Here is something that came to mind while reading the answers.

I have a dear friend that is up in years as I am. He ran a water softening family business that he took over. The business didn't take much of his time as it was well established, but he continued it along with doing other small plumbing type jobs. He didn't need the money and that confused me some. There came a time I needed a water heater replaced and I felt stuck in a way. I felt embarrassed to ask him, but I felt I would offend him if I didn't. When he was replacing my water heater, he explained that he did this sort of thing to help people. I am grateful and he wouldn't take any pay. I am applying this type of thought or sentiment to performing music. He wasn't obligated. There may be some that could have done it better etc. I appreciate that he shared his talents with me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-09-2024, 10:03 PM

My taste in music, while widespread, is also geared toward much older stuff than most folks hear today. Not to knock newer music, but there's a lot of great stuff that is neglected and will be forgotten if someone doesn't keep it alive.

I'm one of these someones. In nearly all my public playing and in the concert series that I run, I try to feature these kind of songs.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:10 PM

I've played guitar and tinkered with songwriting since 1995 or so. I ended up playing bass in a few bands over the years, played bass on a few records.

In 2021 I decided that I was going to write as many songs as I could, good or bad, and record an album with my friends. I did it for me. I like the songs, I'm proud of the album. The artwork is cool. I didn't care if I made a dime (although that would be nice). I joined BMI, filled out all the copyright paperwork and sent CDs in to the Library of Congress.

I'm still working on writing more & better songs. I'm working on becoming a better player. I hope I can record another one. It was fun.

Last edited by fantex; 03-09-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:27 AM

I have been playing since I was 10, I just turned 65. I have passed on 2 chances to make a living at this. And I regret both of those choices.

So my playing in public has all been for just the fun of it. A few times at the county fair, lots of nursing homes, and the past 5 years at local jams.

I enjoy sharing my music with others. But if I had to rely on the money from it I would be homeless. The smiles I see from people while playing is all I need.

It is hard to buy decent gear on smiles. But you know what? I'm OK with that.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
My taste in music, while widespread, is also geared toward much older stuff than most folks hear today. Not to knock newer music, but there's a lot of great stuff that is neglected and will be forgotten if someone doesn't keep it alive.

I'm one of these someones. In nearly all my public playing and in the concert series that I run, I try to feature these kind of songs.
Yes. Amen. I grew up during the Folk Scare, which honored something they called "The Folk Process." The songs they sang, that we may still now know, survived because folks took on the obligation to sing them to others. Their selection, their curating, even the changes and modifications they did to them, were vital.

No "folk" no "Folk Process."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-10-2024, 07:15 PM

It's funny how really good songs get to be popular on Youtube. It's probably that they're really good in the first place and the ones that aren't, don't.
It my firm belief that a good song will always find its way.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:18 PM

Default Sharing music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I apologize for this question because this thought is something that is alien to me. Seriously, call it a shot coming, ignorance or moral and ethical phycological insecurity failure.

Do we have a responsibility or obligation to share what we do as musicians?
Maybe not a responsibility - but as a long term amateur songwriter who until recently kept all his stuff in the music room, I can tell you that sharing it is great fun and can bring joy to others also.

My late life foray into tik tok has been a blast...humble follower numbers but highly recommended for anyone.

Love you to check out my songs at davidclementsmusic on tik tok or Instagram...

Also, read The War of Art by Steven Pressfield for more inspiration to share what you’ve done.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Ok call me a grumpy, old, whatever but if I'm sitting on a park bench I would much rather listen to the birds singing than a 3 chord wonder banging out his repertoire of old country rock songs but that's just me I guess.
Well, you're absolutely right, there is a time and place for things. I generally try to avoid playing in places people go to avoid anything other than the natural sound.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I have been playing since I was 10, I just turned 65. I have passed on 2 chances to make a living at this. And I regret both of those choices.

So my playing in public has all been for just the fun of it. A few times at the county fair, lots of nursing homes, and the past 5 years at local jams.

I enjoy sharing my music with others. But if I had to rely on the money from it I would be homeless. The smiles I see from people while playing is all I need.

It is hard to buy decent gear on smiles. But you know what? I'm OK with that.
The best thing about being an old retired guitar player is that you don't have to make a living at it. I like to busk. If I wake up in the morning and it is cold, or windy, or I'm just not feeling it, I can decide to stay home and change strings or do something else. I don't have to drag myself out there and try to pay the bills.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion