The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2024, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Ibanez prototype AVC

I bought an Ibanez AC240 as a cheap guitar to leave hanging in our rehearsal studio. Love the guitar but its a super cheapie. I put a spare pickup in it and didnt think about it. Playing it at rehearsals for the past several weeks I fell madly in love with the tone - its stupifyingly good for the cheap price.

Well I wanted something better for gigs but not another expensive Taylor. Something in between. And I wanted a layered/laminated body for greater environmental resilience (you should see the places we play !).

I would have aimed for a Taylor 200 series but they have narrow nuts.

Well my AC240 was exactly whay I wanted .....only nicer/better.

I stumbled on a one-off factory prototype from an authorized dealer. It was the AVC11 prototype. They never released it in this configuration - they went a totally different way so this is truly a one-off guitar which is kinda cool.

Its an upgraded version of mine but with some cool features like full body abalone/abalam purfling, grained ivorind binding (which I love), birdbeak headstock, silver and gold open gear tuners,, etc.

I did a ton of customzations, including hand made saddle ,new nut, modified bridge pins, hand made arm rest, two pickups.

Its a cheapie guitar (total cost about $800) but it looks super cool and the tone is shockingly good. And its a "stunt douible" of my studio guitar so there is a familiarity factor.

So....here's to happiness with cheap guitars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8acf3e7-a59c-4ac0-9c23-9b93d44705d0.jpg (23.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg a241e859-0e1d-4d4e-942e-9c8acab664ae.jpg (25.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 2553fe00-8cf0-4f97-b4cc-cb90d5ffd197.jpg (40.8 KB, 223 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2024, 02:56 AM

Hi Fazool,

Very cool to see you bought this guitar.
I have seen this one being advertised on Reverb for quite some time and believe it or not I have one as well.

Mine has been bought by a music shop owner from The Netherlands directly from Ibanez at a guitar show. If he remembered well it was at NAMM some years back. As the 3rd private owner in The Netherlands I managed to track the shop owner down trough his initial Reverb post. He told me Ibanez had planned this AVC11MH-OPS to be the top of the range of the Artwood Vintage series. They were trying to gain interest from resellers and planned for a retail price of 3500 dollars according to him. I was also under the beleive this one was a unique one-off model until your's popped up.

The only real difference is your's has the 'S' stamped on the back of the headstock. Mine is also beatifully decorated and plays like a dream.
Mine came in the original Ibanez case with the manual and all the usual accessories but also with a black and turtoise pick-guard. The last one was already on the guitar when I got it. I don't have the guts to take it off altough the original posting of mine on Reverb also was without, wich I think is prettier. Mine comes without a truss-rod installed but the usual hole is there.

I'm a huge fan of Ibanez Artwood Vintage models and currenty have 6 of them, with this one being both the best and obviously by miles the most rare one.

Greetings and enjoy your's, Rutger
Old 01-28-2024, 02:59 AM

This is mine:

https://reverb.com/item/39887542-iba...ural-open-pore
Old 01-28-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Rutger,

Thanks for that information - that makes so much sense.

I like knowing the history.

I absolutely love this guitar and wondered how they made it so good. If they were aiming for a $3500 price point then I can understand how they put a lot into making it a great guitar. I think they were probably aiming way too high - kinda like Fender and PRS - people just dont think of them as high end acoustic makers.

The AVC11 they released went the other way and was a low, low end model with a distressed finish.

So we got extremely lucky and got a few really rare gems !

Stay in touch !

Last edited by fazool; 01-28-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I’m really impressed with the Ibanez acoustics that I’ve played. I had a really sweet AVC6DTS that I gigged for several years. It seemed that someone was always complementing me on how great it looked and sounded. Really cool guitar and sounded very much like the Martin 000-17 that I replaced it with.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-28-2024, 09:20 AM

I totally agree 3500 dollar is way to much and would never have sold well. For some reason Ibanez acoustics just are not loved enough, especially on your side of the pond However looking closely at the guitar you can tell they invested in quality materials and all the finishes are amazingly flawless on mine. The guy from the shop I contacted remembered it as being really light weight, beautifully built/decorated and very responsive. He told me never to sell it and estimated it currently being worth at least 1500 euros.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I’m really impressed with the Ibanez acoustics that I’ve played. I had a really sweet AVC6DTS that I gigged for several years. It seemed that someone was always complementing me on how great it looked and sounded. Really cool guitar and sounded very much like the Martin 000-17 that I replaced it with.
Funny enough my latest purchase is an AVN6-DTS, the parlor version of your's and is looking absolutely stunning and playing it makes you smile big time.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbaRuud View Post
.... Mine comes without a truss-rod installed but the usual hole is there.....

Rutger,

mine has a truss rod - came with a long-reach wrench in the case too.

Are you sure yours doesnt have one? Mine is the exact same as yours and it definitely does - I just adjusted it

Old 03-08-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity to perform with this as new "gigging" guitar.

Completely in love with this guitar and it is everything I had hoped for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanez.jpg (33.7 KB, 93 views)

Old 03-09-2024, 10:32 AM

Hi Fazool,

Cool to see you perform with it, she is a beauty!

Personally I'm currently suffering with a heavy case of GAS, mainly looking at Taylors at the moment.
I've read you had plenty of those, what model would quality wise be better then the AVC11-OPS?
Never had one, they are just so pretty, but probably overpriced compared to the quality of some of my Ibanez models. My nephew just bought a 224CE-K DLK that I still have to play, but by looks alone, wow!

Should I even be looking or am I only gonna be diasappointed with 2 or 3k (or even 4k) costing models?
Old 03-09-2024, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Fazool, Nice Ibanez--Enjoy!

I discovered a couple of fairly low-cost Ibanez acoustic-electric guitars a couple of years ago and they shine when plugged in and their acoustic tone is decent too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-09-2024, 04:05 PM

I have a similar Ibanez, an AC400, that I have had for several years. Would you mind sharing the brand and gauge strings you have chosen for your Ibanez? Thanks
Old 03-09-2024, 04:22 PM

Congrats - but they could have done a bit better market research; saying something like "I just got an AVC" in a French-speaking country would have people worried and ask you if you're OK

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbaRuud View Post
...mainly looking at Taylors at the moment.
I've read you had plenty of those, what model would quality wise be better then the AVC11-OPS?...
Any of the Taylor Grand Concert models (starting with GC or ending with a 2).

An AD12 or 322 is most similar to this one. Or maybe even a 512.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion