The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2021, 08:43 PM

Default Brand New acoustic fret buzz

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on what I should do. I'm an intermediate level guitar play and I just purchased myself a new Seagull Maritime SWS Natural A/E from an out of town music store through Reverb. The guitar arrived in good condition and sounds great, except I noticed there's alot of fret buzz coming from the D string. I noticed it when I am strumming in a C shape and hammer on the second fret of the D chord. And also if I put a capo on the second fret the D string has fret buzz when I strum it openly.
I feel like this shouldn't be normal since it's a very well reviewed guitar. Before I made the purchase I asked if the store provides a set up before shipping. They said they make sure it's to manufacturer's specs before shipping.
Since where I purchased it from is out of town, I can't really bring it to them and have them fix it. Is this is something that would be easily fixed by a guitar Tech if i went to a local Music store and paid for a set up ?
Old 02-04-2021, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Humidity changes from when it was packed to when you received it could cause the neck to need a slight adjustment. This sounds like something your local tech can take care of pretty easily.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

It likely just need a minor truss rod tweak because of changes in humidity. Hold down the low E string at the first fret and at the 14th fret (I'm assuming it's 14 frets to the body), and make sure there's a little bit of room between the E string and the 7th fret.

If there's not at least a little gap there, give the truss rod a 1/4 turn to counterclockwise.

Google adjusting neck relief...

It's pretty normal for new guitars to need a little bit of a set up.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:31 PM

If it is buzzing on one string only, the first thing to check is the string. Change it and see if it improves. Alternately, replace the saddle with one that is shaped to raise that string only. Adjusting the truss rod for more relief may get rid of the buzz, but it will raise all the strings, which in this case will make the guitar unnecessarily harder to play.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 AM

Thanks I appreciate all of your advice! I put it in its case with a humidifier last night, I値l see if humidify it for a few days helps. I know adjusting the truss rod seems straight forward but I知 worried I値l mess something up lol. Maybe I値l take it to a guitar tech for peace of mind. It痴 just frustrating to have to pay another $100 on top of the guitar price now
Old 02-05-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Even if you don't want to adjust it yourself you can check it, and potentially eliminate it as a cause.

It could be any number of things, really.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:30 AM

Yeah you池e right, when I get home from work I知 going to test it by holding down on those frets like suggested.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Likely an 1/8 turn loosening the truss rod. I need to loosen or tighten mine 3 to 4 times a year depending on weather conditions. But I keep very low action.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fret buzz, seagull, set up