The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Do You Use Your Portable Recorders To Post On-Line

hi everyone, just wondering?

i've got my website, a facebook page and have subscribed to soundcloud - i need to start posting my originals, own arrangements and tunes - goal is to secure more gigs, attract new students and possibly find new playing partners. mostly "folky", bluesy, singer songwriter stuff (acoustic guitar, vocasl, harmonies and maybe some electric lead). i don't have any mics or other recording equipment now. i'm running a small macbook and imac, both 2-3 years old. lastly, i need to get maximum bang for buck right out of the box!

my other quandry is whether it would be better to get a hd video recorder and go the youtube route.

thanks in advance! trow
FOR SALE: 2008 Montuoro 12-Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought - Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce
FOR SALE: 2005 Custom Simpson GA-C - Ziricote/Redwood
Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM

I use my Zoom H4 to record and then adjust in Reaper. Sounds pretty good. Check out my sig and take a listen.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM

To actually post a file on line? No. But I use my H2 a lot for recording rehearsals, and then I use other programs (FireFTP) for putting the files online for bandmates to use as a reference for individual practice. Like this one from Thursday night ... Sea of Heartbreak . The H2 was set up in the middle of us, only my bass was amplified, with all four mics active (internally mixed to stereo), 256 mp3. I added a smidge of reverb in Reaper to liven it up. We had the door open, and you'll hear the crickets (but no Buddy Holly) in the background ... grin!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM

thanks guys, i'll check them out - good tunes btw from both of you, especially like the crickets!
FOR SALE: 2008 Montuoro 12-Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought - Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Trow View Post
hi everyone, just wondering?

i've got my website, a facebook page and have subscribed to soundcloud - i need to start posting my originals, own arrangements and tunes - goal is to secure more gigs, attract new students and possibly find new playing partners. mostly "folky", bluesy, singer songwriter stuff (acoustic guitar, vocasl, harmonies and maybe some electric lead). i don't have any mics or other recording equipment now. i'm running a small macbook and imac, both 2-3 years old. lastly, i need to get maximum bang for buck right out of the box!

my other quandry is whether it would be better to get a hd video recorder and go the youtube route.

thanks in advance! trow
Hi BT…
I use a variety of cameras that shoot HD, and the H2 for sound and layer it for YouTube.

Cameras keep changing too fast for me to invest in one, and in fact my Canon DSLR shoots full frame 1080HD so why would I need something else?

Heck even my iPod touch and iPad shoot 720p video. I'm guessing every point-n-shoot, phone and mp3 player will shoot full 30 frame HD in a year or so.

But the H2 and H4 have been capturing great audio for years. And even they continue to upgrade and improve the units, my several year old H2 continues to amaze me at how well it captures remote audio. It's easy with most of today's software to replace the audio in post-production (especially with Macs).

And chances are even if you buy a high end prosumer level video camera, you will want an external source for recording sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi BT…
I use a variety of cameras that shoot HD, and the H2 for sound and layer it for YouTube.

Cameras keep changing too fast for me to invest in one, and in fact my Canon DSLR shoots full frame 1080HD so why would I need something else?

Heck even my iPod touch and iPad shoot 720p video. I'm guessing every point-n-shoot, phone and mp3 player will shoot full 30 frame HD in a year or so.

But the H2 and H4 have been capturing great audio for years. And even they continue to upgrade and improve the units, my several year old H2 continues to amaze me at how well it captures remote audio. It's easy with most of today's software to replace the audio in post-production (especially with Macs).

And chances are even if you buy a high end prosumer level video camera, you will want an external source for recording sound.

thanks larry, very useful/helpful information, we do have a recent canon powershot camera that seems to take decent video and was using an iphone 4 that seemed to take great video w/ decent sound to boot.

so, now to decide between the Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n and possibly the Tascam DP-008? although it seems you're all (you, jlwoodall, rustyaxe, fran, etc.) pretty big fans/users of the zoom products!?

thanks again, still appreciate anyone's input and i'll keep you all posted (that's a double pun!).

cheers, trow
Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Trow,
I use a Flip Camcorder and a Zoom H2. Bought both used - total about $200.
I hope to upgrade the recorded sound eventually with 2 mics and a preamp, but not there yet........

http://www.youtube.com/user/wfbrown1234?feature=mhee

BTW, Youtube is a wonderful way to get the word out and even more so, a great way to meet people and get musical ideas. I have always been rather a ludite and just do not like computers, however, using YouTube has really opened up a world of wonderful players who are often very freindly and happy to share.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Trow,
I use a Flip Camcorder and a Zoom H2. Bought both used - total about $200.
I hope to upgrade the recorded sound eventually with 2 mics and a preamp, but not there yet........

http://www.youtube.com/user/wfbrown1234?feature=mhee

BTW, Youtube is a wonderful way to get the word out and even more so, a great way to meet people and get musical ideas. I have always been rather a ludite and just do not like computers, however, using YouTube has really opened up a world of wonderful players who are often very freindly and happy to share.
great stuff bill, very impressed w/ the quality, both audio and video - once i'm on-line, i'll connect via youtube. cheers, trow
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Trow View Post
great stuff bill, very impressed w/ the quality, both audio and video - once i'm on-line, i'll connect via youtube. cheers, trow
Oh BTW, great guitar collection Benoit! And sorry to get your name wrong on my earlier post.

--Bill

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Default H2 Recording Example

I highly recommend the Zoom H2. I used an H2 to record "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and then transferred the WAV file to Garageband for EQ and light reverb. You should be able to pickup a used (and maybe even a new)
H2 on the cheap as the the new H2N is due to be released soon.

If you want to check out the H2, here is the song: 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

I use the Zoom Q3 for all my youtube videos

Everett-Celona
Taylor DDX
Heyser- Englemann/Maple
G&L ASAT
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissongs View Post
I use the Zoom Q3 for all my youtube videos
Hey glissongs . . you are a very talented musician my friend. I love your channel so I subbed you. The Q3 sounds very good too. Is it user-friendly?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Hey glissongs . . you are a very talented musician my friend. I love your channel so I subbed you. The Q3 sounds very good too. Is it user-friendly?
Hi Steve…
Sorry to interrupt, but Fran uses a Q3 sometimes too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Steve…
Sorry to interrupt, but Fran uses a Q3 sometimes too.

Thanks Larry. I love Fran's videos (and associated audio.)

Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
I highly recommend the Zoom H2. I used an H2 to record "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and then transferred the WAV file to Garageband for EQ and light reverb. You should be able to pickup a used (and maybe even a new)
H2 on the cheap as the the new H2N is due to be released soon.

If you want to check out the H2, here is the song: 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps
great stuff steve! i have a nice arrangement of this tune that i'll share as soon as i'm up and running. in addition to the great playing, i was equally impressed with the sound quality you achieved. your process of recording/transferring to GB sounds simple enough, even for the likes of me!?

are there any draw backs to it being a WAV file, versus say an MP3?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD