The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-06-2024, 09:33 AM

Default Love songs

How do you write love songs? I've written hundreds of songs, and many are good — like Forrestal, very very good.

But my love songs are duds. Sometimes maudlin, sometimes trite, always an embarassment. Heartbreak songs, too.

It's not something I'm going to bang my head against — you can't get a pearl from a clam — but I am curious about how you write a love song that works.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-06-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
How do you write love songs? I've written hundreds of songs, and many are good — like Forrestal, very very good.

But my love songs are duds. Sometimes maudlin, sometimes trite, always an embarassment. Heartbreak songs, too.

It's not something I'm going to bang my head against — you can't get a pearl from a clam — but I am curious about how you write a love song that works.
Have you ever had your heart broken in your younger days?
Old 04-06-2024, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I do better when I write in the third person about someone else. For whatever reason, telling someone else's love story is much easier and less sappy. And the point of the song is the same whether it's done in 1st person or 3rd person.

A love song in the first person has to be much more subtle to be effective and not sappy, something like Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song."

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Have you ever had your heart broken in your younger days?
Younger, middler, and older days. Over and over and over. I'm an equal-opportunity annoyer.

(In fact, "Over and Over and Over" is probably a title waiting for a song.)

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-06-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I do better when I write in the third person about someone else.
Good point. I usually write in the third person, too. Whether first or third person, the singers are characters in the songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
For whatever reason, telling someone else's love story is much easier and less sappy. And the point of the song is the same whether it's done in 1st person or 3rd person.

A love song in the first person has to be much more subtle to be effective and not sappy, something like Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song."

- Glenn
Yup. First or third person, it's easy to get heavy-handed.

Sounds like I'm on the right track, anyhow. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2024, 04:16 PM

I find it works better if I’m the loser in the story. You always feel your own pain more than someone else’s, as selfish as that may sound. And that makes it more authentic, which makes for a better song. And I like to toss in a little rueful irony, too, if possible - it kinda removes some of the depression. I’m not so good at happy love songs - lost love songs I can do much better.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:42 PM

Most of mine are pretty upbeat, a few are broken heart criers, a couple of them pretty good. But there are 2 head and shoulders above the rest, both written from real life observed experience, which is very rare for me. One expresses deep doubt about your lover and helplessness in the situation. This I wrote from observing a married couple...thats it...just observing them in social situations. I was proven correct later. The other is the best lyric I've ever done. I ran into an old aquaintence in the grocery store parking lot and he related the confrontation he had with his spouse that morning, a complete surprise to me, they were the "perfect couple" in our circle, but even more surprising to him. He spilled his guts right there and I'm not a doctor, but he appeared to be in something like shock. He was just gutted, heading home to he knew not what. I went home, stewed on it overnight, and the next morning was able to capture that shock, gut-wrenching uncertainty, and confidence slaughter in two short verses and a chorus. Never happened before or since, I usually struggle mightily with lyrics. That is why I keep my love songs happy, because it's easy for me; I am still deeply in love and unbelievably happy with my wife of nearly 40 years, the best person I have ever met.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=ghostnote;7440221]I find it works better if I’m the loser in the story.

Then what about the no-one's-a-loser-I'm-just-in-love song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
You always feel your own pain more than someone else’s, as selfish as that may sound. And that makes it more authentic, which makes for a better song.
I don't write about myself.

I once heard Justin Hayward of Moody Blues interviewed on the once-big New York rock station WNEW.* The DJ asked him who inspired "Nights in White Satin." Hayward said no one.

The DJ pushed. A song that beautiful must've been inspired by someone, right? Hayward said, "No. It's just a song."

That's what I do. I write songs. They're hardly ever about you or me or a girlfriend or an ex. They're just songs. The few that are about an actual person are the terrrible ones. That's why I don't write many of them.

Quote:
And I like to toss in a little rueful irony, too, if possible - it kinda removes some of the depression.
Heh heh. Yeah. This is the Age of Snark, isn't it? For me, songwriting removes depression. The content doesn't matter.

Quote:
I’m not so good at happy love songs - lost love songs I can do much better.
There are lots of happy love songs. Actually, that's one of the things I can't pull off. Think of "Here, There, and Everywhere," "Good Day, Sunshine," "My Cheri Amour," "Never Gonna Let Her Go," or "That's the Way She Feels About You."

------------------

* The one Harry Chapin made fun of in his song about WOLD.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-06-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Most of mine are pretty upbeat, a few are broken heart criers, a couple of them pretty good. But there are 2 head and shoulders above the rest, both written from real life observed experience, which is very rare for me.
Rare for me, too!

Quote:
One expresses deep doubt about your lover and helplessness in the situation. This I wrote from observing a married couple...thats it...just observing them in social situations. I was proven correct later. The other is the best lyric I've ever done. I ran into an old aquaintence in the grocery store parking lot and he related the confrontation he had with his spouse that morning, a complete surprise to me, they were the "perfect couple" in our circle, but even more surprising to him. He spilled his guts right there and I'm not a doctor, but he appeared to be in something like shock. He was just gutted, heading home to he knew not what. I went home, stewed on it overnight, and the next morning was able to capture that shock, gut-wrenching uncertainty, and confidence slaughter in two short verses and a chorus. Never happened before or since, I usually struggle mightily with lyrics.
He didn't get lucky, but you did!

Quote:
That is why I keep my love songs happy, because it's easy for me; I am still deeply in love and unbelievably happy with my wife of nearly 40 years, the best person I have ever met.
Right on! That helps.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:11 PM

John Mellencamp has over 500 songs published and he says he's not interesting enough to have 500 songs written about him. Write a love song for somebody else.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-07-2024, 07:10 AM

None of my songs is actually about me. I use my own experiences as an emotional starting point sometimes, but even if the words sound like it’s personal, it really isn’t. Just stories. But 90% of my songs start with the music first - the music sets the mood, the mood inspires the story, and the story could be about anything. If one of my tunes ends up being a love song, it’s probably not because I was consciously thinking about love; it’s more likely that the music made me feel that way. I don’t have a lot of rules about writing, I try to just let it happen.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
John Mellencamp has over 500 songs published and he says he's not interesting enough to have 500 songs written about him. Write a love song for somebody else.
Same here. I never write about myself. Go to work, come home? Boring. I write about interesting people, usually fictious, sometimes not.

I had a songwriting bandmate who only writes about himself but as far as I can tell hasn't done a single interesting thing in his life. Good therapy, bad music.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-07-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Same here. I never write about myself. Go to work, come home? Boring. I write about interesting people, usually fictious, sometimes not.

I had a songwriting bandmate who only writes about himself but as far as I can tell hasn't done a single interesting thing in his life. Good therapy, bad music.
Richard Thompson has either had an interesting, complicated life, or he has a good imagination. Actually, I suppose it's a good amount of both - but I'd guess that all of the events in his songs didn't happen to him personally.

D.H.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Richard Thompson has either had an interesting, complicated life, or he has a good imagination. Actually, I suppose it's a good amount of both - but I'd guess that all of the events in his songs didn't happen to him personally.

D.H.
Love that guy. Wizard on guitar and a born storyteller. I'll never amaze anyone with my guitar prowess, but I like to think I can spin a good yarn.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Younger, middler, and older days. Over and over and over. I'm an equal-opportunity annoyer.

(In fact, "Over and Over and Over" is probably a title waiting for a song.)
Well then you have no excuse for not writing a sad love song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write