The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 12:37 PM

Default nail hardeners

so what brand nail hardeners do you fingerpickers use?been using Nailtiques, but coming to the end of the bottle. I once used this Sally Hansen stuff but it smelled so strong that anyone I got near ; thought I spilled glue on myself. Any really good stuff ? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:15 PM

I use "Barielle" cream on my nails. It seems to make them stronger and I don't like the chemical hardeners.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:55 PM

I used Sally when I started clawhammer banjo (I eventually found a pick that I liked, though). However, my sense of smell is pretty much nonexistent.

D.H.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I use "Barielle" cream on my nails. It seems to make them stronger and I don't like the chemical hardeners.
So does this stuff make a difference in your nails? thanks.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I use hoof cream. I theorize that it actually works by making your nails softer

When my nails are more supple from using the hoof cream, they don’t crack or break.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:09 AM

I used some of the nail hardener products for a brief time and would lay up the thin fabric that was like super thin fiberglass so I could play some gigs, but after a few month/year they started destroying my nails. I think all those nail hardener products are toxic and addictive in that once you start, you have to keep it up as they make your nails brittle. I tried a few but they all smell of superglue/cyano-type chemicals. Maybe someone here knows a good one??

Now I take these supplements and they really do work and help to strengthen my nails so they do not break and crack near as often as before. If I play hard, they can crack, so I try and tone it down and make sure I take them everyday for a week if I have an event coming up. Otherwise I do them half strength or so as they are pricey and I worry about getting too much of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
So does this stuff make a difference in your nails? thanks.
As I said, it seems to. It's hard to be definite about it as I have been using it for a long time at least once a day. I swim most days so my nails are quite soft.
I also take a hair, skin and nails supplement but it's difficult to know whether it actually works or not.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:12 AM

My wife got some supplements for me and my nails went from less than paper thin to much thicker and very hard like they were when I was younger. It's Beautiful Ally Hair Skin and Nails and I take two each morning. It took a couple of months but that was over a year ago and my nails are still going strong.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-21-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Default NAILS

Great thread! I am about a 75-80% fingerstyle player, have spend m any hours trying to keep my nails in good shape.

I tried everything, including acrylics (which actually made my nails LESS healthy), but eventually came to 'Hard as Hoof' cream, which seemed to work.
I also take Sally's or GNC's 'Hair and Nail' supplement, and those seem to help.

Of late, I have been using Vaseline Intensive Care 'Stronger Nails, Healthy Hands' cream. It comes in a pink tube and seems to do the trick for me.

Since starting with the Vaseline product, my nails seem a touch more robust.

ymmv
Old 05-21-2022, 11:05 AM

Hard as hoofs had no effect at all. Just looking to try something else. Most of this stuff just seems like glorified superglue.and smells like it too.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
My wife got some supplements for me and my nails went from less than paper thin to much thicker and very hard like they were when I was younger. It's Beautiful Ally Hair Skin and Nails and I take two each morning. It took a couple of months but that was over a year ago and my nails are still going strong.
Same for me, this stuff really works. I also tried a few brands of biotin drops that helped a tad, but these supplements really do work for me and make the difference between playing fingerstyle or not.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hard as hoofs had no effect at all. Just looking to try something else. Most of this stuff just seems like glorified superglue.and smells like it too.
I found "Hard as hoofs" to be quite effective but you have to use these products over a very long period of time, unlike the chemical paint-on hardeners.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I found "Hard as hoofs" to be quite effective but you have to use these products over a very long period of time, unlike the chemical paint-on hardeners.
Hi Malcolm; yes I used it for well over a year and never noticed any difference at all. I t smells nice though.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Malcolm; yes I used it for well over a year and never noticed any difference at all. I t smells nice though.
Well of course this is the problem with all these "natural" long term treatments, it's very difficult to evaluate the results. I think my nails are better with the treatment than without, but I may just be fooling myself. As I said, I do a lot of swimming in a cold lake so that definitely doesn't help.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:28 AM

I use Mavala Nail Shield:

https://www.mavala-usa.com/nails/nail-shield

I first heard about it on a classical guitar forum. It’s a 2-part product, but I only use the first part. I put on about 5 coats, letting it dry between coats, getting it on under the nail tips as well, then buff it out. I get it on Amazon.

It has a strong smell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion