The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Got my first Bourgeois

Scored my first Bourgeois Vintage D Adirondack in a trade. So far I love its tone and playability. I've always been a Martin man but as of late I find the neck on my Eastman more to liking but this Bourgeois really is awesome. They definitely don't have the bass heavy dark woody Martin rosewood tone I prefer but I also feel it fits the bill as a perfect balance between my HD28 and D18. That being said I'll prob post my D18 up in the classifieds. Anyone else have some Bourgeois love??
Old 05-19-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Oh definitely. Every Bourgeois I've has been really nice. My 00 is super responsive and, as you noted, not so bass heavy. I'd say, more evenly balanced. Congrats on your new D.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Thx man. Yes mine is very responsive and snappy too.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:55 AM

I'm fond of my Bourgeois Signature D. I bought it after playing some excellent D-28's, including and America's Guitar, and was struck by the relatively mellow and rich tone of Bourgeois. The two brands have very different signature tones, and since I had a Martin dread at the time, I decided it was time for something different.

I haven't regretted it. The Sig D can handle whatever you throw at it, no matter how aggressively you lay into it.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:05 AM

No wonder we like Dana's guitars. The best of them are (obviously) modeled after Martins.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
No wonder we like Dana's guitars. The best of them are (obviously) modeled after Martins.
Nope. Mine's modeled after BB King's Lucille.

If King had been forced to play an acoustic guitar, he would have been happy with my Sig D. Big, mellow sound.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:23 PM

BIG fan of Bourgeois guitars. I’ve had 2 and both were fantastic! My first was a short scale Slope D Banjo Killer custom with an Adi top. It was an absolute monster of a guitar, but I prefer the rosewood tone to mahogany. My current one is an Aged Tone Vintage D with AT banjo killer bracing. This guitar was played for a year, on the road, by the guy I got it from and was really broke in right. The loudest guitar, when needed, I’ve ever played with a super clean, tone. Just as much bass as my D41, but not boomy like it is. More hard hitting, punchy bass. I, personally think that Dana builds some of the finest guitars you can own and If I ever get the chance to get my Slope D back, it’ll be mine!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-19-2022, 09:06 PM

I've owned both a Country Boy OM/Sitka and a D IRW/Adi both were great guitars although I much preferred the OM. The Vintage will bring you much joy, congrats!
Old 05-21-2022, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday I got to see and play some Bourgeois guitars for the first time. I was very impressed and especially impressed with their signature tone. I've had Collings, Martins and Santa Cruz guitars and have become familiar with their signature tone. I'd have to say that if I were looking for an additional guitar a Bourgeois guitar would be at the top of the list.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-21-2022, 07:24 AM

I would love to see some photos?
Old 05-21-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I don’t have a lot of experience with the brand, though did own a Aded tone D-Vintage and Aged tone JOMT Vintage, both in Adi over EIR at the same time. As with similar situations with other brands, I favored the D size. Compared to a Martin, the Bourgeois seemed to emphasize the lower mids, which were very clear and reverby, but it came at the expense of less snappy/woody highs. Eventually I just decided that sound wasn’t for me and went back to the comfort and familiarity of the traditional Martin voicing. But there was no doubt about the quality construction or playability of the Bourgeois.

Enjoy your new guitar!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-21-2022, 11:07 AM

Enjoy your new Bourgeois guitar. I love mine as well.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 05-23-2022, 08:53 AM

Another Vintage D owner here. I agree with the statements about it being well balanced in response, no boomy base and really full trebles. I bought a new D18 last summer and it has that famous Martin bottom end, but looks like it will be needing a neck reset sooner than later.

The Bourgeois is an incredibly stable instrument. That vintage Martin profile neck conceals the technology of a two way truss rod sandwiched with carbon fiber and steel to make sure the response is lively all over the neck. That with a cooked adi top, hide glue, slotted bridge and Waverly's makes a very nice package.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-26-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Awesome everyone!
Old 05-27-2022, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Oh definitely. Every Bourgeois I've has been really nice. My 00 is super responsive and, as you noted, not so bass heavy. I'd say, more evenly balanced. Congrats on your new D.
Agreed, had a CB 00 for a while and it was fantastic. So good in fact that I thought it was too good a guitar for my 'talent' so moved it on

Congrats OP on your new acquisition, fabulous instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion