The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
GPCPA1 is way better than a 4. 4 is like Road-series and i hear it is hit or miss quality/tone-wise, but in case you had a chance to play one, it would be something to consider. GPCPA1 is probably on par with the standard series like a GPC-28E which sounds like is out of your price range but to me would be the quintessential guitar you are looking for.
Yeah it does seem the GPCPA1 is most suitable but only have one option of them with the crack. I would go for the GPC-28E if I could find one of those though but they seem just as rare.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
I’ve been looking for a grand performance/auditorium electro acoustic guitar with a cutaway, I don’t think a Taylor is right for me so I’ve been looking towards a few Martin options.

Any thoughts on the the GPC-13E? Would this be preferable to the GPC-16E as I've found alot of the complaints are the smaller depth.

The GPC-13E comes in Ziricote or Mutenye whatever that means, not the Rosewood / Mahogany I am used to seeing.

Also found a GPC11E with Sapale. All these are Sikta spruce.

I also found a used GPCPA1 but this is the most expensive of them all, for a 10+ year old guitar. Any thoughts welcome.
Going back to your first post, have you played any of these guitars. I played the GPCPA4 R when I bought my GPC-13. I thought the Road Series sounded much better than the Performing Artist. I'm pretty sure that I was told the PA guitars are straight braced, and the RS guitars are scalloped.

Have you played these guitars? You really need to. I don't think your price on the GPC-13 is so bad, it's $1449 at GC right now, so you wouldn't be doing so bad.

I'm not trying to sell you on any one guitar, but don't think that the PA guitars sound better just because they were more expensive when they were new.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The Green series features “full-pore Satin” finish, while the Yellow is finished with “full-pore Gloss” (the Yellow also has a double ring abalone rosette, while the Green ‘s rosette is a more sedate black walnut ring).

You can go to the following link and compare models:

https://furchguitars.com/en/instruments/

Last edited by Aimelie; 05-20-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

What do you mean by ''full pore''?
Old 05-19-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Going back to your first post, have you played any of these guitars. I played the GPCPA4 R when I bought my GPC-13. I thought the Road Series sounded much better than the Performing Artist. I'm pretty sure that I was told the PA guitars are straight braced, and the RS guitars are scalloped.

Have you played these guitars? You really need to. I don't think your price on the GPC-13 is so bad, it's $1449 at GC right now, so you wouldn't be doing so bad.

I'm not trying to sell you on any one guitar, but don't think that the PA guitars sound better just because they were more expensive when they were new.
I haven't played any no, infact I have never played a Martin guitar in my life so it would be my first experience of them. I suppose thats why I'm so indecisive as I've not a lot to go on.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by ''full pore''?
It’s mentioned specifically on the Furch website. I can only assume that the pores of the wood (back and sides) are filled fully whether satin or gloss finished (instead of open-pore being a finish that leaves the pores unfilled, or ‘open”).

Just my opinion, though. So worth about as much as one paid for it.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:03 PM

Delete this

Last edited by marklcfc; 05-19-2022 at 05:05 PM. Reason: posted by accident
Old 05-20-2022, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't played any no, infact I have never played a Martin guitar in my life so it would be my first experience of them. I suppose that's why I'm so indecisive as I've not a lot to go on.
I think you need to get out and at least play something similar to what you want. Take a trip to a town where you can play some Martins and the other brands that are available to you.

Martins are great guitars. Their GPC's and GP's haven't been very good sellers for them, so there aren't many available. My GP-28 is one of only 57 made and they stopped making them. The GPC-11 and 13 are the last, solid wood versions they are making.

I'm very happy with my GPCRSG. I now have 4 other, better Martin guitars and I realize that it's not as good as the others, but I still play it just as much as I do the J-40, custom shop J-17, GP-28, or custom shop 0000-18 12 fret.

In fact, I'm going to put new strings on it an play it right now!
Old 05-21-2022, 03:02 AM

How would these compare to the grand performance options?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...28-re-imagined

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...28-re-imagined

I don't know whether to just try a martin without the cutaway now.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:08 AM

Is it worth considering the GPC16E again? There is one a few hours away I can go look at. I see its USA made and not Mexican made, but does have a smaller body depth which was the main thing that had put me off.

Last edited by marklcfc; 05-21-2022 at 04:28 AM. Reason: well it was, just checked and its sold now
Old 05-21-2022, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

If you're comparing the GPC-16e to an 00 or OM, it's definitely worth going to play them. I've never done that. I've always compared them to dreads or my J bodies.

The GPC-16 is almost identical to a 0000 but with a cutaway. If you can try one in the flesh, and you've never played a Martin, you might just fall in love with it.

It's Saturday, you've got nothing else to do, go try it. And if you bring it home, we expect pictures!
Old 05-21-2022, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

This site will let you compare the sizes between GP, 0000, and 000;

http://martinrep.com/shapes.html
Old 05-21-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
If you're comparing the GPC-16e to an 00 or OM, it's definitely worth going to play them. I've never done that. I've always compared them to dreads or my J bodies.

The GPC-16 is almost identical to a 0000 but with a cutaway. If you can try one in the flesh, and you've never played a Martin, you might just fall in love with it.

It's Saturday, you've got nothing else to do, go try it. And if you bring it home, we expect pictures!
The place had it in stock in the week and offered me an extra £100 off if I collected it, now its sold. This isn't going well is it I'll just wait for somewhere to have it in stock and order it, can't keep overthinking everything as I am doing.

Some have the mahogany version in stock but I was hoping for the Rosewood which only this place had.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I can’t explain why the GP/GPCs sound different from the traditional Martin shapes, but they do. The GP is technically the same as a 0000/M. I haven’t played a 0000/M, but I have a J-40 (and have played a JC-40, the cutaway version of the J-40), which is a 0000/M but with a dreadnought depth. The GPCPA4 I had briefly had a different voice. I wouldn’t say the it was entirely Taylor-esque because it still had Martin character, but it wasn’t as lush as the J-40 (or the 000-28, etc.).

All this is to say that your realization is correct, you should try out the guitars in person if you can. The problem with ordering guitars online is that one typically does so serially, so it’s hard to compare multiple guitars at once. Unlike, say, shoes, it’s harder to order 4 or 5 at the same time and send back the ones you don’t like.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Sinistral, I've played a GPCPA4R when I bought my GPCRSG (GPC-13) and thought it was pretty dull. It was explained to me that they were straight braced and made to be played plugged in. I also had a used JCPA4R sent to me and it was similar. It couldn't keep up with my Road Series GPC

Right now I'm recovering from surgery on my left hand and I have DR Sunbeams on every guitar. Yesterday morning, I was playing the Road Series and thinking that with these strings, I was thinking that it was better than the GP-28. I got out the GP-28 and it was way better, but the Road Series still isn't a slouch. Most of the GPC's are not like a 0000, only the new 16's are. All the others are 4 7/16 depth.

I have a J-40 and a GP-28. The GP-28 isn't a J-40 but if I was playing and switching guitars between songs and you were sitting across the room, you wouldn't know which was which without looking. You might not even know if you couldn't see the fretboard.

Last edited by lowrider; 05-21-2022 at 09:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion